Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Michael Weiss' "Tornado" Move

SkateFan4Life

Michael Weiss' "Tornado" Move

Here's a link to Michael Weiss's official website - a section focusing on his "Tornado" move - a back flip with a twist. Egads.
    Weiss has been injured so many times - why in heck is he taking the risk of really doing some physical damage with this silly,
    circus-like maneuver?

If Weiss really wants to impress me, he's going to have to skate a CLEAN long program. No splattering falls. No two-footed landings. No falls. Can he do it?

http://www.michaelweiss.org/twist.shtml

Custom Title
    Eeesh...That's terribly close to the ice. For his sake I hope he wears the helmet during the real thing.

There's one coach at my rink who can do a backflip, (the only person in Australia), and I swear, when he is upside down in mid-air he is in full layout position and at LEAST his height in distance from ice surface-to-head. It is absolutely flabbergasting.

he did it last year at the Hallmark Skating Championships... it was really high off the ice... and it's an incredible move!

Tripping on the Podium
    Interesting video. I guess he is being kept on a short leash. Do you think that the spotters could actually catch him if he lost it/fell?

sww

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Tonichelle
    he did it last year at the Hallmark Skating Championships... it was really high off the ice... and it's an incredible move!
    Actually, I thought Mike's "tornado" looked downright scary at the Hallmark Championships; he messed up the landing a bit and at one angle, it almost looked like the poor guy camethisclose to landing on his head!

Frankly, I don't know why he's putting so much effort into working on such a dangerous element if he can't even use it in eligible competition--especially if, as he said once, he puts his life at risk every time he does it. I'd think he'd rather use that time working on his 3-axel and alledged quad lutz, but that's just me...

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    I agree that the "tornado", when finally landed, came off as 'much ado about nothing'.

Genealogy Crazed
    As much as I like Michael, ITA with this statement:

If Weiss really wants to impress me, he's going to have to skate a CLEAN long program. No splattering falls. No two-footed landings. No falls. Can he do it?
    I'd also like to see a totally clean short program.

Lynn

Anything a skater can do to promote gasps a la Cirque du Soleil will influence some judges but not all. Apparently, acrobatic moves are in vogue. Why draw the line at the Bonaly move landing on one foot?

Joe

Custom Title
    I'm certainly stating the obvious: I've always considered the "tornado" as his trademark. Yags having got his footwork, Plush the Bielmann spin - so he needed one, too. Since the backflip is not allowed, he invents new moves with his special skates - why not? This is how skating progresses and it's ways less dangerous ....

It's time the sleeping giant wakes up ... :D

Custom Title

Wjy Tornado

MW has credentials with us... a couple national championships and a few bronze and silver medals to his credit. To the larger audience, the people who watch professional shows, MW is largely an unknown. IMO, the Tornado is his way of attempting to set himself up professionally. Oh, and I don't think you need special skates to perform it... just large b*lls (or overies in the case of Surya).
    Linny

Originally posted by astimegoesby
    Actually, I thought Mike's "tornado" looked downright scary at the Hallmark Championships; he messed up the landing a bit and at one angle, it almost looked like the poor guy camethisclose to landing on his head!

Frankly, I don't know why he's putting so much effort into working on such a dangerous element if he can't even use it in eligible competition--especially if, as he said once, he puts his life at risk every time he does it. I'd think he'd rather use that time working on his 3-axel and alledged quad lutz, but that's just me...
    Here Here. At Hallmark, I thought that he was going to land almost on this face. Like Most people here, I would rather he get himself together so he could be a REAL threat to Yagudin( if he comes back), plush, timmy or even honda. But, he isn't . Instead of trying to come up with Blades or doing moves because it will draw more attention to himself & not because of his skating. His Three National Title aren't too impressive at all. The Mens fields is so weak, almost anyone could win that title. & The Nationals from this past season just went to prove it. Had Timmy skated a little cleaner. Timmy would be champ.

Mike could impress the skating fans with 2 artistically Technically hard programs & skate them 100% clean. No, Cheated Jumps, two footed jumps. & Leave the SEE MA, SEE WHAT I CAN DO, LOOK AT ME, . Type of skating at the somewhere else for now

Custom Title
    I think I saw Mike perform this move in a competition. It was cool but I'd rather they leave the acrobatics to gymnastics and stick to skating.

This is a little off topic, but to me Michael has been skating like he's ready for his pro career for years. This is not to dis professionals in any way - several keep up their technical content - but Michael has clearly been more interested in the showmanship of figure skating for some time.

I was really surprised (and impressed) with how well he skated at the '02 Nats and the '02 Olys, and, although his successes last year were largely dependent on other skaters' mistakes, he showed more drive to improve on the eligible level than he had in years. Clearly he is not ready to give up. But he continues to spend more of his energy on elements that either are plain old not allowed in eligible skating (Tornado), or are just ancilliary to what makes good skating, than on the basics that will help him move up. The new blades are interesting, and he is doing innovating things with them; but it doesn't add to his competitive skating, and when the required elements don't come through, the added, unnecessary moves end up looking like fluff.

I can't help but root for Weiss - there's something about him that makes me like him as a skater despite his ego. I think he is one of the more musically talented male skaters when he's not too busy preening for the audience, and he has real skating ability in there. I just wish he would make up his mind what it is he wants out of his skating career and put himself fully into it.

guinevere

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Michael Weiss' "Tornado" Move

To me it's not really a jump - more of a trick. It may look fine in the gym, but I doubt any other skaters will be trying it real soon.

On the Ice
    To me, with Michael Weiss, it seems to be all about the "flash", with the Tornado move, the funky skate blade, the Hummer, the "shirtless" exhibitions, and the hypnotist. The frustrating part is that there is "substance" behind the "flash", or at least the potential for it. I like watching him skate- he has nice line and carriage, and seems to have better presentation than a lot of the men's skaters that I've seen. What he needs is a secure triple axel and quad, and some better choreography- which is probably not news to anyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast