Excerpt from Johnny's Weir's Journal | Golden Skate

Excerpt from Johnny's Weir's Journal

The Valse Triste by Sibelius = A haunting rythym. I don't know if other skaters have used it.

He did mention getting on the good side of the USFSA, so it was exactly as we suspected. He seems to be happy with TT and the gang up there in Connecticut. Too bad he's not in GP but that's what happens when you walk off the ice in competition.

I do wish him good luck in whatever comes up for him. He has enormous talent - among my most promising 2nd tierers.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"It's an amazing training atmosphere; everybody wants to accomplish their best on every practice, as opposed to some of the skaters in Delaware"

Now there's an unnesscessary and unsportsmanlike dig at his former rink mates. Nobody likes a bridge burner.

And I believe he has to go back to Delaware. Johnny, Johnny, oh Johnny! Careful what you are saying as Margot Channing remarked, you have to worry about the people you passed on the way up when you are going down the ladder (or something like that).

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
>Joesitz
The Valse Triste by Sibelius = A haunting rythym. I don't know if other skaters have used it. >

I don´t remember about singles skaters, but the Finnish ice dancers Rahkamo & Kokko used it in one of their freedances.

Marjaana

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

If the USFSA is "punishing" Johnny Weir because he abandoned his 2003 Nationals long program -- after he clearly injured his back and/or injured his knee when he fell -- then a pox on the USFSA! Give me a break, people.

On the other hand, if Weir just gave up after a disastrous start, then he's sorely lacking in the "get up and keep going" mentality that all champion skaters must acquire.

I wasn't thrilled at his dismissive journal comments vis-a-vis the his Delaware training facility and skaters. Some of the finest skaters in recent history have trained in Newark, Delaware, and some of the finest coaches have worked there. It really doesn't pay to burn your bridges behind you.......:eek:

lavender

Record Breaker
My gut is telling me that Johnny wasn't as injured as he portrayed himself to be but since he said he was I'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Afterall

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
>Joesitz
The Valse Triste by Sibelius = A haunting rythym. I don't know if other skaters have used it. >

I don´t remember about singles skaters, but the Finnish ice dancers Rahkamo & Kokko used it in one of their freedances.

Marjaana

It's been cited as Rahkamo and Kokko's signature piece.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
There's also that rumor that Johnny didn't compete at last season's GP due to fake injuries. Which prompted the USFSA to do that no injury bye at Nationals rule. I think the USFSA got so many strange excuses that they decided they would take no more.

Of course, the injuries could have been real, but many people think the circumstances around the injuries seem strange.

S

SkateFan4Life

"Fake injuries"? Yeeech. :rolleye:

If that is true, then I've really lost all respect for Johnny Weir.
I can't understand why anyone as talented as he is would even think of faking an injury to avoid competing at a Grand Prix event.
Perhaps his programs weren't as developed as they should have been? Perhaps he just wasn't in top competitive shape? Please.

Weir has been injured quite a lot. While I do not wish injuries on anyone, I hope those were real injuries and not excuses.

It's as bad as a student staying home with a faked illness because he/she doesn't want to take an exam he or she is not prepared to take.

Oh well, no more sermons!

Smiley0884

Rinkside
What?!?! Johnny Pulled out of the GP last season due to illness, not "fake" injury, I suspect one of Johnny's detractors is just spreading rumors, with nothing better to do.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Yeah probably Smiley, but I did find it weird that the USFSA had to keep Johnny in his hotel during Cup of Russia after he pulled out so the Russian Fed's doctor wouldn't have a chance to diagnose Johnny to see if the illness was legit or not.

Smiley0884

Rinkside
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Yeah probably Smiley, but I did find it weird that the USFSA had to keep Johnny in his hotel during Cup of Russia after he pulled out so the Russian Fed's doctor wouldn't have a chance to diagnose Johnny to see if the illness was legit or not.

Yeah..but that would be shady on the USFSA's part..not on Johnny's.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Good point. The reason why I'm a little skeptical of Johnny is because I think there has to be another reason why Johnny is in bad terms with the USFSA other than the Nationals LP fiasco...but I will most likely be wrong though.

Johnny is really talented, and I hope he can pull it together this season.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Johnny is really talented, and I hope he can pull it together this season.

The USFSA recently assigned Weir to Finlandia Trophy which shows a vote of confidence in his skating, IMO. I was moved by his "Dr. Zhivago" FS performance at the Liberty summer competition in July, and I wish him all the best this season.

S

SkateFan4Life

I'm glad to hear that Johnny Weir has been assigned to the Finlandia Trophy. Hopefully, he will skate two solid programs and arrive at US Nationals prepared to compete for a spot on the World Team.