How is Mao doing with her lutz? | Golden Skate

How is Mao doing with her lutz?

Okami

On the Ice
I wonder if Mao's flutzing is getting better lately.

Personally I hope that it's Mao's Lutz that's getting better, instead of flutz. ;)

As for Mao's progress, this was posted by a Japanese user on Mao's fan forum:
I read the newspaper, It says that Tarasova is going to Japan in mid-August in order to check Mao's skating.
Mao is working on fixing her lutz and she says that its showing good progress so far!

And in today's web article the reporter said:
(...) She is also working hard on fixing her weak point. Last season she was troubled by the deductions caused by her habit to do the take-off of the Lutz jump from the inside edge. After the World Championships she earnestly began her practice to fix the jump without failure.

No practice footage, sadly, though perhaps it's for the best that the media don't bother Mao too much. Though, selfishly, I would like to see the 3A combos that Tatiana said Mao was nailing in practice. :)

Okami

On the Ice
I've seen those already, I just meant I wanted to see things Tarasova talked about in the interview (3A combos and "things no other skater did in practice"). :lol: But thanks for the links anyway! :)

First of all, Mao does not need a 3Z. She has so many points going for her in her program that she can still win with a Flutz -1.

Mao is the top Ladies skater in the World right now. TT does not want to have her in any place but first. It will not look good for TT.

I'm not so sure TT is a jump coach. Kulic and Yags both had jumps without her, and Sasha never got the 3Z which she needed.

TT is an excellent choreographer.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for posting the interviews. Mao and Terosova seem to get along very well, but that back brace has me worried. I hope Mao is OK. The programs look amazing.... we expected nothing less. It does seem as if Mao and her coach have used the "waltz" selections from Masquerade for at least part of the program. We have not seen Mao skate to such powerful music as of yet.

First of all, Mao does not need a 3Z. She has so many points going for her in her program that she can still win with a Flutz -1
That is so true. Mao is so far ahead of everyone else, CoP-wise, that she won the World Championship despite getting an edge call on both of her triple Lutz attempts (short and long programs) and also despite getting 0 points on her biggest point-getter, the triple Axel. She spotted the field about 10 points and still won.

The only reason Mao needs to work on her flutz is for the personal satisfaction of doing so, like she has worked on her triple Salchow and triple toe in past seasons.

Anyway, good for her if her goal is to make herself into the consumate complete skater. :bow:

^^^

Didn't YuNa win the Free Skate in Gothnborg? Mao did win overall, but YuNa crashed in the SP. Right now, I do think Mao has an easy win with or without TT.

Medusa

Record Breaker
That is so true. Mao is so far ahead of everyone else, CoP-wise, that she won the World Championship despite getting an edge call on both of her triple Lutz attempts (short and long programs) and also despite getting 0 points on her biggest point-getter, the triple Axel. She spotted the field about 10 points and still won.

I don't think that Mao is that much better than Yu-Na. Both Yu-Na and Mao had a five Triples program at Worlds, granted, Yu-Na had one more double Axel, but she also had uncharacteristic deductions on her jumps (e.g. Salchow). She also botched her Triple Lutz and lost more points through that than Mao did by underrotating her second Triple Loop. They also get similar levels on their non-jump elements.

What's important for Yu-Na is to get her Triple Loop consistent, only planning a six-triple-program against Mao is probably not going to be enough.

inskate

On the Ice
What hurt Mao the most in Gothenborg was not the lutz deduction or lack of 3A, but, ironically, low levels on spins and spirals, which are usually her forte.

The only reason Mao needs to work on her flutz is for the personal satisfaction of doing so, like she has worked on her triple Salchow and triple toe in past seasons.

I think that's definitely one of the reasons... Mao is a perfectionist through and through. I don't think she is very much worried about the points - she keeps working on things that are not much worth under CoP - spiral positions, a classical layback... Hopefully the hard work will pay off. :)