Gymnasts' endorsement deals
It looks like Shawn will do very well with endorsements.
And so will Nastia.
I don't know the details, but these girls and Alicia also have some kind of a deal with the Covergirl company to advertise cosmetics. I'm not sure about the other 3 girls.
No offense to the other girls, but they were pretty much a non-factor at these games. Nastia and Shawn really carried this team the entire time. Other than die-hard gymnastics fans, does anyone even know who Bridget Sloan, Samantha Peszek, or Chellsie Memmell are? I suppose Chellsie may be a bit more recognizeable than the other two, based on being on the schene for quite a while, but she had only to routines in the entire Olympics, and she bombed one of them. As much as I like and respect all of these girls, other than Shawn and Nastia, they just haven't made enough of an impact to be attractive to companies looking for spokes-people that the consumer population will recognize. Alicia, I think, was lucky to have gotten the Cover Girl contract before the games began, as she is now best known for her devestating errors in the Team Finals.
Originally Posted by PolymerBob
I think Alicia would make an excellent spokesmodel. I hope the Covergirl people don't try to get out of the contract just because she faltered.
One thing really ticks me off. Some people who only watch gymnastics once every 4 years think Alicia is a loser. Nothing could be further from the truth.
L'art pour l'art
I know that I am a quixotic socialistic small-town European, but am I the only one who is a bit weirded out by these endorsement deals etc.?
It's like a checklist:
- Win a piece of metal by athletic achievements - done.
- Put photograph on some paper boxes with unhealthy cereals in it - done.
- Travel through the country and have weird unsubstantial talks with random people in front of a camera - done.
- Try to memorise hilarious scripts for TV-adds about products nobody's interested in anyway - done.
- Make sure that celebrity isn't overexposured despite the fact that people see them at breakfast (cereal boxes), on the way to work (posters), at work (co-worker is wearing her earrings + internet adds), lunch break (celeb is endorsing McDonalds), while picking up kid from school (T-shirts of the schoolgirls), at home (TV, magazines...) - impossible!
Don't get me wrong, the girls (and other athletes) surely deserve it and I am happy that they probably will earn enough so that they won't have to work for the rest of their lives. They worked hard for that.
Still weirded out though.
I think I understand the Covergirl deal. If they wait until after the Olympics, they would have to pay Shawn and Nastia about $ 1 million each ( let's say ) to sign a contract. By signing Shawn, Nastia and Alicia before any medals were won, they can sign each of them for ( let's say ) $ 200,000 . So they got 2 gold medalists for $ 600,000 rather than $ 2 million. Pretty smart.
I'm just glad Alicia got a little piece of the action. She has a nice little nest egg to start her post-gymnastics life with.