Yagudin charged with DUI | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yagudin charged with DUI

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
He's very lucky (and so was anyone driving that night near him) that he wasn't involved in an accident. Maybe this will be a "wake-up" call for him..........42

terisalyn

Rinkside
Thank you, Lisa, for the note of sanity. I agree that it was stupid of him not to have called a cab, especially on a holiday weekend when the police are out in force. But I think that a lot of unjustified assumptions are being made here. I don't think anyone with a serious drinking problem could compete at the level he has for as long as he has. And all that we really know is that he was stopped for speeding, and blew over 0.08, which is not that hard to do. As a matter of fact, at my body weight, I would blow a 0.08 if I drank two glasses of wine within an hour.

I agree that driving under the influence is wrong. But most of the DWI tragedies that we hear about are NOT caused by the social drinker who makes the mistake of getting into his/her car after two drinks. They're caused by the habitual offender, who drinks and drives all the time, and who has built up such a tolerance for alcohol that he thinks that he can still drive with about 8 or 10 beers in him! And no matter how stiff the penalties, the tragedies won't end until we can enforce the penalties. It's really scary how many people are out there right now driving drunk on licenses that are suspended for DWI!!!

All of that said, let's not make assumptions about anyone's personal habits, emotional motivations, etc., based on so little information. And while DUI is a serious mistake to make, I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't made mistakes in life. And quite frankly, I don't want to; just imagine how self-righteous and boring such a person would be!

bleuchick

On the Ice
re: alexei

personally, not knowing what is up with Alexei's personal life...the stuff to lead him to drink...let alone drink and drive...I gotta say something people are forgetting. He was coming from a business meeting not a social meeting. Two very different things. It is 2003, don't these business organizers know that people can sue them for serving alcohol. Btw, there are court cases against businesses serving alcohol.

dmr65

On the Ice
This does not make me hate Yags nor want to cal him names.. But.. Lose someone as I known to a drunk driver and try to convince me with many reasons.. Also, tell that baby who lost her mom, as was in the car with her mom.. Tell that same child's dad and that woman's husband well, he's famous, well he just came from a social event, or he had a tragic life or surgery recently, and ask them if that makes it all better or well, they can now see it differently and if they can make Felicia come back from the grave after suffering 3 days before dying.

No, no one was on that street but him.. thank God.. But, if there were.. He still is not a child.. He still knew what he was doing, because he's been intoxicated before..

Denise..

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
I agree with you Lisa. He is probably trying very hard to come to terms with the fact that he may not be able to compete again. I think he has to deal with his issues first though. I really hope he gets the help from the people around him he needs.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I see no excuse for this one ... drinking and driving is NEVER acceptable, IMO. Whether he's a social drinker or has a problem, it makes no difference to me ... he shouldn't get behind the wheel. I hope he is punished accordingly. I also hope he never does it again. Yags is a brilliant skater, is full of charisma, and has so much to offer. I hope he is able to move beyond this.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Too bad he is charged with DUI. It is no supprise to me considering his Russian cultural background like some of posters pointed before. It was good no one got hurt.

This will not affect my opinion of his skating. I still love his skating and will still root for him. I don't messed up people's professional life with their personal life.

merfsk8s

Rinkside
I was very disappointed to read this. Yes, he made a mistake and everyone makes mistakes, even Olympic champions. However, it cannot be denied that he broke the law and endangered himself and others. It doesn't mean I won't enjoy his skating anymore, but it will alter my respect for him a bit.

Granted, the Russian culture regarding drinking is different, but Yagudin is living in the US now and needs to respect our laws.

I wish him all the best and hope that he makes better choices in the future.

Vash01

Medalist
Yagudin has not just arrived in the USA. He has lived here since 1999- that is FOUR years. That is more than enough to learn the laws and rules of a country, regardless of what they were where he grew up. In fact he had a drinking problem on the COI tour and he even lost that contract due to it. That should have been enough to teach anyone that he should not do it again.

DUI is wrong. Ask those who lost loved ones due to someone's drinking and driving. Whether he has a consistent drinking problem or not, he needs to avoid driving after a drink. Once is enough. The people that get killed by drunk drivers do not get a second chance.

Vash

Linny

Final Flight
DUI

Another poster mentioned this but I thought I'd enforce his point: from what I've read,most of the DUI arrests turn out not to be a social drinker who simply forgot how little alcohol it takes to be over the legal limit. Apparently, law enforcement officials are touting the success of the various programs for getting the habitual drinker and driver off the road... but I wish there were some hard statistics on this. Out of 100 DUI arrests, how many turn out to be innocent (pass the blood test)? How many are repeat offenders? How many arrestees later agree to attend treatment programs?

Knowing the statistics would help to get a bead on the probability that Yags does or does not have a problem...

Linny

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
I'm not really surprised to hear this, but I did think he had turned around after the 1999 COI incident. I do agree that DUI is indefensible. Yes, Yagudin might not skate again, competitively, at least. It's sad for someone who loves to do something, but not everyone of those people runs out and drinks and drives. He has had an incredible career, better than most skaters ever will have. He has a lot to be grateful for. I'm not judging him, so much as stating the fact that his actions were irresponsible no matter the reasons behind them. We all make mistakes, yes, but people seem to be confusing judging the action with the person. I don't know him, so I'm not going to say this makes him a horrible person. It was the action that was wrong, period. I do hope he learns from it (saving his life and others as well) and I wish him well with his hip.

Lucy

Last edited:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Lisa and terisalyn,

Thank you both for saying what I think much better than I could have said it.

Nan

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Jaana, I tried to answer you earlier in the day, but my computer kept kicking
me off. Hopefully, that is solved.

All states have different laws regarding DUIs. As this is his first offense, he
probably won't get any jail time since no one was injured. He will probably
get a fine, possible suspended driver's license (30 or 60 days) and community
service.

The one glitch here is that he is NOT an American citizen. Here in Nebraska,
an asylum seeker from Nigeria is probably going to be deported after a drunk
driving arrest. However, someone was killed in that accident, so the situation
isn't entirely similar.

Let's not be overly judgmental until we know the facts. Please remember that
the current US president and vice president each have at least ONE DUI in their
respective pasts....

Laura

The bottom line is Drinking and Driving is a leading cause of fatalities on the road. Movie Stars, Olympic Champions, Sports Greats are not exempt from the potential crimes of negligence.

If you are maimed for life by a drunken driver, who happens to be a big sports star, would you find ways to say, it's all right? I hope you answer no that question.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

This is terrible! Hopefully, Yags won't go the route of other athletes who self-destruct with abusive habits such as alcohol.
This kind of behavior is intolerable. How many people have been killed and/or seriously injured in drunken-driving accidents?

Get a grip on yourself, Alexi! All the best - and take care of yourself.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
It amazes me that an athlete testing positive for Marijuana would be disqualified or banned from his/her sport but they do not test for alcohol.
Daniel and Little Lulu

Little Lulu thinks that athletes should also be tested for catnip.

CB1AB2

Medalist
He is such a great skater and a nice person too. I have met him. I hope the presure of his operation=skating with Stars on Ice and competing is not going to be to much for him to handle.

But there is no excuse for driving drunk. As one other person said he is a role model for young skaters and this is definitely not a good example to be setting.

But, I still do wish him the best of luck in the future.
He is a great skater.

cb

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
If he's guilty he should be ashamed of himself.
Having problems, ie DUI's, under the influence means you have an alcohol problem.
The idea that it is customary for Russians to drink more doesn't mean they aren't alcoholics. Alcohol abuse is a serious social issue in Russia.

On another note, I agree with Little Lulu--test them for catnip too!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
  1. I definitely agree with all those who say that we have no reason to assume he has an alcohol problem. I am not excusing his behavior, but I do not understand how people can jump to the conclusion that he "cannot cope with success" or "cannot cope with his career being over" over this! Once again, I am not making excuses for his actions.
  2. Marihuana vs. alcohol. Well, one is legal and the other is not. Had the 18th amendment to the constitution still been in effect, things would have been different.
  3. This & COI incident. NO CONNECTION. Other than stupidity, perhaps.
    [/list=1]

bleuchick

On the Ice
Drinking and Driving know no nationality

but Marijuana does. Alexei! Come on over to Canada. Ahem..Belgium too