Yagudin charged with DUI | Golden Skate

Yagudin charged with DUI

A 2003 Mercedes! The police love to stop upscale cars.

Poor Yags. I hope he's not going the way of Oksana. Olympic Gold and then unable to cope with success.

It's very close to Campbells and I'd hate to see him under trained after all that surgery and rehab he went through.

Good luck, Yags.

Joe

Blade1

On the Ice
:eek:

WOW !! That is really too bad and its unfortante that it had happened to him. I really do hope he learns a hard lesson by this and that it doesn't happen again !!

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Why does anyone drink and drive... that is the real question. Silly mistake that unfortunately too many people make :(

Lynn226

On the Ice
I can't say that I'm totally surprised. I thought, however, that he had straightened himself out after getting kicked off the COI Tour a few years ago.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
How sad. I don't lose respect as much as I feel sympathy for him. I know he had drinking issues before with the COI tour. This seems to be a problem and there must be some factors that drive him towards this. It's so easy to see him as the wonderful artist that made his dream come true...but sometimes other issues come along with being a "sensitive" artist. Often such people come from a troubled past. I hope he finds a better way to deal with and manage whatever emotional pain it is that drives him to drink. He seems like such a special person and I think he'll find his way through this without any problem at all.

mmandel

On the Ice
No excuse for this behavior! If I'm not mistaken, he had a simular drinking problem with COI earlier in his career. Such a shame... He is a role model for many young people and he let them down by a poor decision. I wonder how the Russian Federation will view this. They viewed the last drinking incident poorly.

Germanice

On the Ice
He is (and remains) my favourite skater, but what an i-d-i-o-t !!! :mad: And a pretty "lucky" one, I'm just glad nothing worse happend and nobody (including him) was hurt. Hope he gets some help and finally learns his lesson.

Anke

Sally1214

Spectator
There is no excuse for DUI.

What's so hard to understand about "If you are going to drink, DON'T DRIVE?"

Thank God no one was hurt or killed.

Sally

windspirit

On the Ice
I'm very disappointed. :eek: And no, I am not sorry that he got caught. I hate having drunk people with me on the road, and the more get caught the better for all of us. For them, too.

That said, his earlier "similar drinking problem with COI" wasn't at all similar. He had a beer in a bar when he wasn't 21 (he was 18, I think). I was 20 when I wanted to have a beer at a bar in the States. I couldn't, and believe me, it is a little strange (and hard to believe, "you can vote, get married, but you can't have a beer?") to someone who comes from a country when you can drink legally at 16.

Lisa

On the Ice
Hey everybody - hang on a minute!!!

I totally agree with all those who say that Yags was being very stupid and what he did was irresponsible!

But still - being caught while driving after you've had some alcohol does NOT mean that you've got a drinking problem. Don't get me wrong, please, I don't mean to excuse what he did. But this doesn't make him an alcoholic, so please let's not treat him like an one.
And please, COI was back in 1999, he was still quite new in the US, and the Russian drinking tradition is very different from the American one. If he really had a serious problem, there would have been more scandals ever since (and you can be sure the media would have been delighted to tell us), and an alcoholic is not able to skate that well over such a long time.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´d guess that later it will be published how much alcohol over 0.8 Yagudin actually had in his blood. I agree with those who have the opinion that when driving, no alcohol at all! It is of course good that this time nobody was killed or injured because of somebody´s DUI and speeding, but that is no excuse for Yagudin (or any driver). It is possible that other people who might have been on that road, may just have been extremely lucky that they did not happen to be there in that time...

After Yagudin´s notorious COI incidents in 1999, I cannot say that I´m very surprised about this matter now.

BTW, how is it in USA with DUI in a case like Yagudin´s where nobody was injured? Would he be able to get away with a fine or is a person caught while DUI always facing something like community service?

Marjaana

Last edited:

Lisa

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Poor Yags. I hope he's not going the way of Oksana. Olympic Gold and then unable to cope with success.

IMO it's not the success he has trouble with - it's facing the idea that his career might be over. Please remember that he had surgery back in May, took the ice again in July and planned to decide about his future after skating for a few weeks - which would be right now. I can only hope that there is no relation whatsoever between his hip problem and this incident.

Poor Yags. Indeed.

Good luck, Alexei, whatever your future may be like.

RussianBolero

Rinkside
Also to remember one thing...it IS Labor Day weekend in the US, a holiday when there is a lot of drinking (and unfortunately, a lot of drinking and driving, which is why there are cops everywhere this weekend). I am not ready to infer anything other than he was at a cookout having a good time.

No, I don't think anyone should drink and drive. I'm just not ready to consign him to the alcoholic/tortured artist/out-of-control freak category until more facts are in.

Last edited:

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Lisa said:
Hey everybody - hang on a minute!!!

I totally agree with all those who say that Yags was being very stupid and what he did was irresponsible!

But still - being caught while driving after you've had some alcohol does NOT mean that you've got a drinking problem. Don't get me wrong, please, I don't mean to excuse what he did. But this doesn't make him an alcoholic, so please let's not treat him like an one.
And please, COI was back in 2000, he was still quite new in the US, and the Russian drinking tradition is very different from the American one. If he really had a serious problem, there would have been more scandals ever since (and you can be sure the media would have been delighted to tell us), and an alcoholic is not able to skate that well over such a long time.

Great post Lisa.. I am with you on this one!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm willing to bet that this is not the first time he's been drinking and driving--It's just that this time he got CAUGHT. This behavior is inexcusable. When someone drinks and drives, he takes MY life into his hands and that PISSES ME OFF!

...getting off soapbox...
:p