U.S. TV schedule for 2008-2009 Skating Season | Golden Skate

U.S. TV schedule for 2008-2009 Skating Season

Thanks RD - Some quick announcements of Pairs, Men and a glimpse of Dance for Skate America and only the top 3 or 4 Ladies to be shown depending on the outcome of the SP. Nothing special here.

For Nats, does anyone have a schedule of events, particularly Jan 24?

For the exhibitions, Junior and Novice Champs are always interesting.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also hear that NBC will be broadcasting LA Worlds; look for that to be added to the schedule soon. Apparently there will be some prime time coverage of that as well.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=679

EDIT: Oops. Can someone please edit my thread title to read "US TV Schedule for 2008-2009 Season"? Thanks, I completely forgot about that. May confuse folks from other countries.

Final Flight
wait....make myself clear.....the US will only broadcast american events?

no international competitions like TEB, COR, COC, GPF, Euros?!

R.D.

Record Breaker
no international competitions like TEB, COR, COC, GPF, Euros?!

Not at the moment, anyway. Maybe Ice Network could pick up the slack, but then it is now almost September, so whoever might be interested should get a move on...

KayMil01

On the Ice
If ESPN doesn't broadcast the Grand Prix Events and also Euros and 4CC, then that's a major bummer. I always looked forward to watching 2 1/2-3 hours of skating every week or two on Sundays.

If ESPN doesn't broadcast it, a network like say, Bravo or USA Network should pick it up. If only.

merrybari

Final Flight
A real relief to have something in writing to confirm that US TV will be broadcasting 2009 Worlds.

I find some ray of hope for US broadcasts of other events in this last paragraph of the IFS article. Hope it also includes 4Cs. Am keeping my fingers crossed it comes to pass.

Getaz told IFS that there were ongoing discussions with a TV network for the remainder of the Grand Prix Series events (Skate America will air on NBC), but since no deal has been struck, she could not discuss the ongoing negotiations.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If ESPN doesn't broadcast it, a network like say, Bravo or USA Network should pick it up. If only.

Both are NBC Universal partners, so it's not that big of a stretch to think they could... but I'm not sure they would, they have a hard enough time with raitings (and bravo is a bit 'macho' for figure skating - at least marketing wise)

R.D.

Record Breaker
USA is consistently one of the top-rated cable networks. They seem to be doing quite well. And USA is much more "macho" than Bravo will ever be. But maybe Oxygen would be a better fit.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm hoping Lifetime, since they have had skating before, and my cable doesn't have Oxygen.

Absolutely no word from IceNetwork yet. I doubt they will drag a camera to China and Seoul.

I doubt that NBC will cover the GPs unless there is an American starlet competing.

Actually, SA has some Oly contenders there. NBC should give it more than 2 hours but.....

I'm just so pessimistic about all this. Oxygen is owned by Oprah. If NBC affiliates are making money, they will not preempt them for skating. It's possible, but it's a wait and see.

The Cleveland Nats should work for NBC - some Live Ladies and a few Live Dancers. Tapes of Men and Pairs but where will they be shown?

NBC has got to show interest in what they do for the Olys sponsorship.

KayMil01

On the Ice
A real relief to have something in writing to confirm that US TV will be broadcasting 2009 Worlds.

I find some ray of hope for US broadcasts of other events in this last paragraph of the IFS article. Hope it also includes 4Cs. Am keeping my fingers crossed it comes to pass.

Well, it's some news...I don't care what network it would be on as long as I get the channel and skating is shown on tv. How dare they deprive us FS fans. I sure hope the GP events are shown Europeans and 4CC too.

ChrisH

On the Ice
With the huge ratings success of the Beijing Olympics, I'm optimistic that we'll get more coverage and that more money will pour in from one of the major USA networks.

NBC Universal is giddy following its 17-day Olympics coverage, which ended Sunday with a tape-delayed presentation of the closing ceremonies. With thousands of hours available on the broadcast network, cable affiliates and online, the company said it surpassed the 1996 Atlantic Olympics to capture more viewers than any other event in U.S. television history.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/2008-08-24-nbc-ratings_N.htm

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
How dare they deprive us FS fans.

How dare we ask them to lose money on a sport that does not rake in the big sponsers or the big ratings... you have to see it from there end. Yah, we love the sport, but they're not about fandoms they're about $$ it's a business.

KayMil01

On the Ice
How dare we ask them to lose money on a sport that does not rake in the big sponsers or the big ratings... you have to see it from there end. Yah, we love the sport, but they're not about fandoms they're about $$ it's a business.

Yeah I know...that's why I originally put "lol" at the end of that sentence. :p

I presume no one has heard anything about the way NBC will handle Cleveland. I think we all expect 6hours of Ladies and and Dance with emphasis on Ladies followed by a taped Men's featuring Weir, Lysacek and Abbott together with a taped version of Pairs featuring the results of the podium.

There'll be no Novice and Juniors but the gold medalists will skate in the Extravaganza, and be shown on TV, if there is room for them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
were novice and juniors at nationals EVER shown on TV? (I know a few JR competitions used to be shown on one of the cable networks)

you don't see "novice and junior" athletes in other sports being shown (save for the Little League's world championships) so why are we even expecting it in a national broadcast. The target audience (which is not the uberfans of the sport) doesn't care.

R.D.

Record Breaker
the "hoopla" as you are calling it was last year, as it was NBC's first year as an official skating broadcaster. This year, we pretty much know what to expect from them (and unfortunately, it isn't very much).