Skate for Hope | Golden Skate

Skate for Hope

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The Skate for Hope charity event is scheduled for the 30th. I haven't heard nor read much about it. Are Katy and Emily still going to perform? I had read unconfirmed reports that they were.

just wondering

On the Ice
Sadly, I don't think Katy will be there.

Skate for Hope's own promotional material lists Emily Hughes, Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker, Rachael Flatt, Parker Pennington, Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin, and Jenny Needham-Wall as guest skaters. No Katy:cry: (though a surprise performance would be exciting, I'm sure.)

Dutchherder, if you have time, let us know how the show is. Would love to hear an update on how everyone is doing. Wonder if the skaters will play it safe or throw in at least one tricky element - just to test it out. :thumbsup: JW

Nigel

On the Ice
Sadly, I don't think Katy will be there.

Skate for Hope's own promotional material lists Emily Hughes, Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker, Rachael Flatt, Parker Pennington, Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin, and Jenny Needham-Wall as guest skaters. No Katy:cry: (though a surprise performance would be exciting, I'm sure.)

Dutchherder, if you have time, let us know how the show is. Would love to hear an update on how everyone is doing. Wonder if the skaters will play it safe or throw in at least one tricky element - just to test it out. :thumbsup: JW

Flatt has skated at a few shows over the spring and summer including Superstars on Ice at the Skatium in Skokie, IL, the Sun Valley July 4th weekend shows, and just recently in Lake Placid, NY, using her 'Respect" exhibition program as well as a new program YoYo Ma's and Allison Krause's "Simple Gifts" and she certainly has kept the "tricks" in her programs...3Flips and 3 Lutzes. And Keauna and Rockne have done a number of shows as well...in LA and also in Placid and their lifts look gorgeous!

kioewen

Spectator
I for one did, and -- get this -- I actually got an Emily Hughes autograph. :) Emily was so gracious in chatting with fans after the show.

This was the first live figure-skating show that I ever attended, and I must say, it was completely amazing -- better than I ever imagined. Emily performed beautifully, and you should have heard the ovation that she received at the end of the show! The crowd was very enthusiastic.

But all of the performances -- even the group numbers with novice skaters -- were simply delightful. It was a thoroughly generous, supportive environment. It was a pleasure to be there.

There is definitely a thrill that one gets from attending a live show that no television transmission can capture. I'm beginning to understand people's enthusiasm for this art-form...

dutchherder

Final Flight
The show was fun. There were lots of very young skaters as well as adult skaters performing. The headliners were Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker, Emily Hughes, Rachael Flatt, Parker Pennington, and Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin.

M/B looked really great and in good shape. They landed several triple twists and a couple of triple throws. They skated their "Play That Funky Music" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" numbers.

Rachael Flatt skated a beautiful program to "Simple Gifts" by Alison Krauss and Yo-Yo Ma. She skated very cleanly, completing a 2A and a couple of triples.

Emily Hughes had some trouble landing her jumps, but the rest of her skating looked good.

T/M skated to "Cuban Pete," and the their music cut out during the last 30 seconds or so of their program. They finished the program anyhow Irina Rodnina/Alexander Zaitsev style. :rock:

For me, M/B and Rachael Flatt were the highlights of the show, as well as a group number which included a skater who is a breast cancer survivor and a program by really impressive juvenile skater Jason Brown.

The skaters were very gracious and greeted the crowd at the boards at the end of the show. I was lucky enough to be in the front row, so was able to speak to all the headliners and shake their hands.

Now I can't wait for Nats in Cleveland!!!!:biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Thanks for the reports. It sounds like it was a great show. Too bad Katy wasn't there, but I'm glad Emily was. :biggrin:

mskater93

Record Breaker
For me, M/B and Rachael Flatt were the highlights of the show, as well as a group number which included a skater who is a breast cancer survivor and a program by really impressive juvenile skater Jason Brown.

Actually, Jason is at the Novice level having won the Juvenile title 2 years ago and a Silver medal at the Intermediate level this past season. He has a real "it" factor to his skating that just draws you like a magnet...

Welcome, Kioewen. Thanks for joining us and for the great report. Thanks to Dutchherder, too. :clap: :clap:

silverfox

Rinkside
Thanks for the reports. It sounds like it was a great show. Too bad Katy wasn't there, but I'm glad Emily was. :biggrin:

Thanks for the reports.

Emily has such a strong committment to this cause. I wonder if her mother was in the audience. I think she was in the audience last year according to one of her interviews.

Any photos anyone? Does anyone know the music Emily skated to? Was it an exhibition program or her new competition program?

How about Parker Pennington - how was his performance? I'm glad he supports other charitable events.

kioewen

Spectator
Does anyone know the music Emily skated to? Was it an exhibition program or her new competition program?

That was kind of interesting. The program book mentioned that she would be performing the "Für Elise/Low" program, which was one of the two numbers that she performed at Ice Chips 2008, but in fact, she skated to "Taking Chances" by Celine Dion, which was the other number that she performed at this year's Ice Chips show.

I thought it was a clever change. Skating to "Low" (a.k.a. "Apple Bottom Jeans"), a rap song, would have made a big impact on a program when everyone else was performing classical numbers, but at this show, almost everyone skated to rock/hip-hop -type music, so Emily switching to a more melodic song worked very well.

I was really happy with the change, because I've been hoping to see Emily skate to "Taking Chances" ever since I first saw a video of part of that Ice Chips performance on YouTube (which is how I got interested in figure skating in the first place), so it was a definite treat to see it live.

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Emily's mother was in attendance, and Emily did a rose presentation to her after her performance. There were many such presentations throughout the show, with skaters presenting roses to family and friends who had battled cancer. As the skater skated over to present the roses to the friend or family member, they played audio of the skater telling who the person was that the performance was dedicated to and why. It was quite lovely.

silverfox

Rinkside
Emily's mother was in attendance, and Emily did a rose presentation to her after her performance. There were many such presentations throughout the show, with skaters presenting roses to family and friends who had battled cancer. As the skater skated over to present the roses to the friend or family member, they played audio of the skater telling who the person was that the performance was dedicated to and why. It was quite lovely.

Thanks dutchherder for the information and Sylvia for the link to the photos. I suspected that Amy Hughes would be in attendance there. What a nice ceremony - presenting roses. It sounds very touching.

The photos are really nice. It was great seeing pictures of TT/MM on the ice. It's been awhile. I think I last saw them perform live in 2006 COI.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I really need to start remembering about this event because I would have gone had I remembered it was coming up this past weekend! Columbus is only two hours away from me. Thanks so much for the reviews and pictures and I'm glad the show went well. :)