Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cast of SOI - 2003-2004

Custom Title

Cast of SOI - 2003-2004

for now...

fans of Yuka Sato will be happy :D

http://www.savviscenter.net/events/stars.html

Yuka is such an obvious choice for lady headliner, good for SOI for finally coming to its senses!

Mathman

I would love to see Yuka skate. This is the best decision SOI has made this season. Now, if SOI would only come to Fresno, I'm there............42

On the Ice
    Yuka is great - but, does anyone else think they need at least one more Ladies' Single skater?!

And, I'm confused - I thought Yagudin was coming back to eligible ranks, but he's listed here as a cast member for the whole season. Could someone clarify for me what his announced plans are for the season?

Does anyone else think they need at least one more Ladies' Single skater?!
    I absolutely do. Maybe there are other skaters in the cast who are not listed.

But I see their problem. Who are they going to get? It is time to bring in a new generation of ladies, but the current stars have no intention of leaving the amateur ranks. To put on a real show SOI needs the likes of Sasha, Irina and Michelle.

I read somewhere that after the 1992 Olympics, Scott Hamilton sat down with his financial and marketing people and they told him, get Kristi Yamaguchi or fold. This is probably an exaggeration. But to land Kristi, who had already signed with Brian Boitano's tour, Scott had to buy out Brian's tour, fire SOI's chief choreographer and hire Sandra Bezik (Kristi's choreographer) in that role. (The only time I've heard about when sweet Kristi played hardball, LOL.)

Anyway, SOI had a down year last season. The emphasis on pairs champions just didn't pack them in the way they hoped.

About Yagudin, the policies of the ISU and the various national federations seem to be murky on who can do what and still retain eligibility. Yagudin got some kind of an exemption, but Todd Eldredge didn't -- which ticked Todd off something terrible toward the USFSA.

I realize that this doesn't address the question of conflicting dates.

But my personal opinion is that Yagudin, despite his determination, will not be physically able to compete this season -- and I hope, for the sake of his health, that he does not.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-01-2003 at 02:01 PM.

Custom Title
    The link doesn't work for me right now..could anybody post here who the cast members are? Thanks so much!

I love Yuka's skating and style. Her edges and basic skating is one of a kind, and her artistry is amazing. I look forward to seeing her skate more! :D

As for Alexei, I'm pretty sure that he'll try his best to compete and he is listed for GP events. We'll just have to wait and see, but I think its fine either way.

Rogue Leader
    Cast list: Alexei, Todd, Yuka, Jamie and David, Elena and Anton, Jenni and Todd, Kyoko and John.

I knew Kurt wanted to take time off for the baby, but I didn't realized how much time. He's not listed at all. Another lady would be nice, and I'd like to see a dance team.

Question

Is the cast always that small? Also, I notice that Yuka's husband is not listed.

Custom Title
    Touring with SOI does not make a skater lose eligibility. He/she would have to compete in one of the pro competitions to lose it. That is why Yagudin does not lose his eligibility.

However, the SOI tour does not let skaters take any time off. That makes it difficult to compete in eligibles, but it is possible to, if the skater is willing to handle it. If anyone can handle both (pro tour and eligible competitions), it's Yagudin.

I had read a while back that Oksana was going to be with SOI this year. Does anyone know why she is not on the list? Only one big name singles skater in the ladies discipline does not bode well, IMO. I like Yuka a lot, but I don't see her alone draw a crowd. When SOI was doing well, they had more top level singles skaters - Kristi, Katarina, Roslyn, and one more (e.g. Jill or Katia) in the ladies field. In the mens field they had Scott, Kurt, Paul, and one more (e.g. Stephen Cousins). The emphasis on pairs' last year did not work that well. It would have, if they had more top singles skaters too. Of course Yagudin and Todd both are big name skaters. They need one more top man and 2 more top ladies.

Most of all, the poor economy does not do anything to help SOI. People just cannot afford to pay that kind of money for tickets.

Vash
    Last edited by Vash01; 09-01-2003 at 04:16 PM.

Rinkside

SOI cast

There is still no official cast list on the SOI homepage, so I guess the skaters mentioned in the above thread are confirmed for the show on 1/30 with probably some additions.

Just like an earlier poster I have heard that Oksana joined the cast, I think I read it in BOI. I`m glad Yuka is in, she is one of the best female pros of the last decade. But I strongly dislike that there is no dance team and still four pairs...for how long are Meno and Sand going to be around???

How long is MK, Irina, Elena going to hang around and now it's Meno and Sands. Oh these aging skaters, why can't they just go off to the setting sun? In the last case, one can not even say, "Should turn Pro". What's the rush to get rid of skaters?

Joe

Custom Title

Question

I'm surprised that Yuka joined without Jason. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't that previously been an issue with her joining SOI? I'm working from memory, so I may be incorrect . . .

The cast list seems small, but I thought SOI was going to utilize special guest performers this season.

Custom Title
    Good nice, if Yuka is skating, I will buy the tickets.

I miss Kristi, Tara, Lucindah and Katia.

Moving Forward
    If Kat is not returning to SOI full time, they needed a strong ladies single skater who would work well in the group numbers. I'm glad they chose Yuka and I will look forward to seeing her again.

Nan

Custom Title

the guest stars list

is not yet released. Only SOI will tell us who is on this list. I bet in the next several weeks. This is the list that is supposed to have Oksana, Brian, Scott or Kurt.

Scott - is really going to be involved in the business part of the show.

Kurt - is probably going to guest star. He has a baby now and his wife is expected to return to work(the National Ballet of Canada).

Brian - has shown some interest in ensemble numbers. Maybe.

Oksana - Mark Mund says so. In any case, we will wait until SOI confirms it or else Mark Lund is in great trouble

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast