Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dad's being deployed in < 48 Hours!

Dad's being deployed in < 48 Hours!

Some of you may remember my dad helped with the aftermath of Katrina however long ago that was now (2??? seems longer) as a volunteer through the VA... he is a medical technician which means he gets to take blood and other fluids from people as well as basic medical stuff...

anyway he volunteered to help again with the new set of storms and I just got an email from mom:

just got the word from kit in anchorage that daddy will probably be deployed late tomorrow or monday...they are calling this the "mother of all storms" in new orleans...they called for mandatory evacuation by 8:00am tomorrow...whew!
    no idea where he's headed or what he'll be doing just yet, have asked mom for more info - will try to keep people posted. Last time he went after the storms had passed... now he's going to be there as it happens, which kinda scares me. But, at the same time, I'm very proud of him!

You're right to be very proud of him!! I'm sure they wouldn't put him in harms way, but somewhere close by so they can get to people quickly when needed. I'm praying for everyones safety! I just can't believe this is happening again!!!! Please keep us updated when you can!

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    you must be so proud of him. Here's wishing him a safe trip, and hope that his services will not be needed by as many as after Katrina.

Landing my axel..............again skatergirl45's Avatar
    I hope he is out of harms way,

I also want to thank him for volunteering!!!!!!! He is a brave man. While I stay home figuring out what my school can do to help, he is out there helping.

Dad called while I was in the shower... he flies out of Kenai, AK to get to Anchorage at noon (or there abouts, he was told to be ready BY NOON) it's about a 30-45minute flight to Anchorage, and then he said he'd call as soon as he knows when he takes off outta here.

I probably won't get to see him off as I'll be at work

Custom Title
    It is wonderful that your father feels the need to go down to the New Orleans area to volunteer; his skills will be very much needed when Gustav makes landfall. I'll keep him in my prayers in addition to all those who may be foolish enough to stay in the area, and there are usually a fair number of them.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Vounteers from our Emergency rescue are all set to go from Vancouver as well. They helped out with the Katrina rescue. Canada has a special plane that can hold a lot of people and has already been sent down just in case. They used it last time to find people that were on the missing list.

All the best to your dad and all the volunteers involved.

Well I just took him to the airport about an hour ago... nothing like hurry up and wait. He's on the plane in the air right about now.

He's headed to Shreaveport (sp?), LA... by way of Chicago... long flights, blah.

He's really excited and right now is scheduled to come back on Sunday the 14th (Day before his 55 bday)

Custom Title
    Thank your dad for us, Tonichelle. He, and others like him, are generously improving the lives of others. Keep us posted.
    JW

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
    Thank your dad for us, Tonichelle. He, and others like him, are generously improving the lives of others. Keep us posted.
    JW
    Toni, I second the thank you to your dad.

Dee

here's the latest on my dad, via my mom:

daddy just called...he's sleeping on a cot in the multipurpose room of Crossroads Church on the campus of Louisiana Tech. in Rustin, LA....the church ladies just fed them a huge dinner of lasagne, garlic bread, salad, lots of desserts....the pastor and his wife are very cool...the church is about 6 years old....the pastor knows paige patterson, but dad doesn't thing it's a baptist church...he will be working the 7:00am to 7:00pm shift at the medical shelter..i don't know if it's in the same place..i forgot to ask...anyway, that's the latest

mudda

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Toni, You must be so proud of your dad!

Toni, it's wonderful that your dad is doing this to help the people on the Gulf Coast. Wishing him and all the volunteers the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Toni, You must be so proud of your dad!
    Forever and always I'm totally daddy's girl... he could sit on the couch picking his nose all day and I'd think him the best guy in the world

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Thankfully I don't think this was a bad as they thought it was going be. I sure hope you dad is doing ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast