Dad's being deployed in < 48 Hours! | Golden Skate

Dad's being deployed in < 48 Hours!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Some of you may remember my dad helped with the aftermath of Katrina however long ago that was now (2??? seems longer) as a volunteer through the VA... he is a medical technician which means he gets to take blood and other fluids from people as well as basic medical stuff...

anyway he volunteered to help again with the new set of storms and I just got an email from mom:

just got the word from kit in anchorage that daddy will probably be deployed late tomorrow or monday...they are calling this the "mother of all storms" in new orleans...they called for mandatory evacuation by 8:00am tomorrow...whew!

no idea where he's headed or what he'll be doing just yet, have asked mom for more info - will try to keep people posted. Last time he went after the storms had passed... now he's going to be there as it happens, which kinda scares me. But, at the same time, I'm very proud of him!

skamper23

Medalist
You're right to be very proud of him!! I'm sure they wouldn't put him in harms way, but somewhere close by so they can get to people quickly when needed. I'm praying for everyones safety! I just can't believe this is happening again!!!! Please keep us updated when you can!

bronxgirl

Medalist
you must be so proud of him. Here's wishing him a safe trip, and hope that his services will not be needed by as many as after Katrina.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I hope he is out of harms way,

I also want to thank him for volunteering!!!!!!! He is a brave man. While I stay home figuring out what my school can do to help, he is out there helping.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dad called while I was in the shower... he flies out of Kenai, AK to get to Anchorage at noon (or there abouts, he was told to be ready BY NOON) it's about a 30-45minute flight to Anchorage, and then he said he'd call as soon as he knows when he takes off outta here.

I probably won't get to see him off as I'll be at work

Blue Bead

Medalist
It is wonderful that your father feels the need to go down to the New Orleans area to volunteer; his skills will be very much needed when Gustav makes landfall. I'll keep him in my prayers in addition to all those who may be foolish enough to stay in the area, and there are usually a fair number of them.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Vounteers from our Emergency rescue are all set to go from Vancouver as well. They helped out with the Katrina rescue. Canada has a special plane that can hold a lot of people and has already been sent down just in case. They used it last time to find people that were on the missing list.

All the best to your dad and all the volunteers involved.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well I just took him to the airport about an hour ago... nothing like hurry up and wait. He's on the plane in the air right about now.

He's headed to Shreaveport (sp?), LA... by way of Chicago... long flights, blah.

He's really excited and right now is scheduled to come back on Sunday the 14th (Day before his 55 bday)

just wondering

On the Ice
Thank your dad for us, Tonichelle. He, and others like him, are generously improving the lives of others. Keep us posted.
JW

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
here's the latest on my dad, via my mom:

daddy just called...he's sleeping on a cot in the multipurpose room of Crossroads Church on the campus of Louisiana Tech. in Rustin, LA....the church ladies just fed them a huge dinner of lasagne, garlic bread, salad, lots of desserts....the pastor and his wife are very cool...the church is about 6 years old....the pastor knows paige patterson, but dad doesn't thing it's a baptist church...he will be working the 7:00am to 7:00pm shift at the medical shelter..i don't know if it's in the same place..i forgot to ask...anyway, that's the latest

mudda

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, it's wonderful that your dad is doing this to help the people on the Gulf Coast. :clap: Wishing him and all the volunteers the best.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Thankfully I don't think this was a bad as they thought it was going be. I sure hope you dad is doing ok.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Capable hands for sure!

I think the storm must have died down once it heard your dad was down there.:agree:

"Don't want to mess with tat guy - he'll turn us into a sprinkle."

:clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Since it looks like the people of New Orleans will be returning home soon, dad might be deployed to Florida to help with Hanna and Ike... he says he might get to go to Disney before I do... not funny!

Tigger

Final Flight
Toni...Your Dad is one of the many amazing people out there that knows he can help and lets the organization/s he works for know it, so he can help when he's needed. Please give him a hug from me next time you see him. If he's sent to Florida/Eastern Seaboard for whatever Hanna and/or Ike dishes out, he stays as safe as he can.