Thread: How to warm up?

Custom Title

Question How to warm up?

We all talk about how the pros skate but now I am wondering
    what they do to make it happen. Like what do they do to warm up before skating? Yoga, pilates, or just some simple
    stretching before going out on the ice. I find this would help for those of you that skate out there like me. I would find it interesting of all the different ways of getting ready for the ice.
    Thanks

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I do a simple set of stretches to each side, back and forward taught to me by one of my bellydance instructors. It works on all muscles and does the trick nicely. I also stretch calves before I skate off ice and stretch quads and hams up on the boards after I skate for a few minutes.

On the Ice
    i go for a jog, do some side steps and steps up and down the corridor to loosen muscels. then do some stretching head to toe, some spirals, and then some off ice jumps. then on the ice!
    gemma

Custom Title
    I don't actually warm up on my own :o

I do it during team practices because our coach makes us. But even then I feel it does nothing for me, only skating a few laps warms me up.

Always Dream
    I jst strech and practice jumps off ice a lot then my coach makes me skate 1 lap before practice. Not that bad hehe!

In love with the axel!
    I do some fast walking/slow jogging moving my arms too, or some jump rope (haven't done that since I got hurt - need to start that up again). Then I stretch from head to toe. On ice I do a lap of what I think are called Russian crossovers, then a lap of long strokes, then a lap of forward power pushes then a lap of backwards power pushes. Then I gasp for air and start my practice .

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    I don't do anything off-ice to warm up right before practice unless you count running from the car because I'm usually late!

I'm 46, so I have to get the knees working. I start with two laps of just regular stroking with leg extensions and crossovers on the ends. Then I do two laps of the forward power crossovers with the inside edges, then two laps backwards. Then I'll usually do the double 3s from the MIFs. At that point, I might go to the barrier and stretch out my legs in spirals, with one foot on the bar and leaning forward, trying to touch my head to my knee (both sides).

Then, like skater 1964, I have a small nap (or at least start breathing again) and then start skating!

Custom Title
    lol

On the Ice
    all i do is skate a couple laps if i'm practicing. if im with my coach, she makes me do crossovers and spirals and stuff though. And in my freestyle classs we always do laps, crossovers (backward and forward), three turns, lunges, spirals, and bunny hops.

Rinkside
    Before I skate, I usually jump rope until I'm starting to breathe a little hard, then I stretch my legs. After that I do several laps of stroking, extending my leg and with crossovers on the sides. When I'm starting to feel warm then I go to the barriers and do spirals, etc.

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    I start off with jumping rope for about two insane minutes where I first jump on both feet and then only jump on the right and then only the left. Then I stretch my foot with now shoes on backwards (helps spring in jumps) and then I put my shoes back on and stretch my calves and achilles tendons out. Then stretch out my hamstrings and quad muscles. Then I stroke on the ice for about two to three minutes and stretch again at the boards. Then I do a few spins, and begin to jump with a series of waltz jumps. then I rip off my overshirt/jacket and I'm ready to skate.

Brigitte