VCR Tapes | Golden Skate

VCR Tapes

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was wondering if anyone had any idea what is a good brand of tapes? The reason I am asking, I purchased a couple of tapes from 2 separate sources and both tapes were Sony. I had to send the tapes back. One had a buzzing noise in it , the other I couldn't even play in the VCR. Do you have any insight into what are the best tapes out there?

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
I've done well with Fuji and JVC. A lot of people like Maxell; I find that they record well the 1st time, but not as good when taping over.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, thanks for that info about Maxwell. I did buy some and I will remember that. I plan on hitting sales before the skating season starts and wanted to see what tapes others were using. VCR tapes have come a long way even in the last 2 years. I was watching something from a couple of years ago and the picture didn't seem as crisp. I have used JVC and Fuji and haven't found any problems with them. I am not sure now about the Sony tapes but Pookie said she likes them, so maybe I will give them a try.

Dee

windspirit

On the Ice
I'm using Fuji now. They have:

(from the lowest quality to the highest -- at least I think what it is ;) ):
1. HQ: High Quality (Multi-Purpose Videotape)
2. PRO: Premium High Quality (For Videotape Libraries)
3. MASTER: Master High Grade (Special Event Videotape)
4. S-VHS: Premium S-VHS Videotape (For Super VHS Video Recorders)

I've never used the 3 and 4, but the 2 is, I think, very good. But never buy the 1. Someone bought them for me by mistake, and when I saw the quality of the recording I wanted to return them immediately. And I would've if I hadn't already recorded one quite rare performance on it. :\

I also used Maxwell, and was happy with them. I don't like TDK, and I'm not so sure about Sony. But I guess it all depends on the level of quality of those tapes. If you want to use "High Quality" (which I think is the lowest level), I'd recommend Maxwell.