Middle Atlantics club competition (Sept. 11-14 in NYC) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Middle Atlantics club competition (Sept. 11-14 in NYC)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amazing to see someone in the skating world admitting this. I've always deplored figure skating for (in my opinion) practically mandating anorexia among young female skaters, and I became a fan of Emily specifically because she was the one skater who bucked this trend and actually had a figure. (To me, "in shape" means curvy, not skeletal.) But of course, over the summer, all I read at various forums (many worse than here) were mean-spirited attacks on Emily's then-shapely figure, and all I could think of was, "God, I hope she isn't reading this nonsense."

Well, I guess she must have been reading it, because sure enough, she has now starved herself to a supposedly more "acceptable" size, and has it helped matters? No, not at all. Harmed her, in fact.

It's a problem that's not exclusive to the skating world, but how sad to see it so prevalent in skating -- weight loss is presented as some kind of magic cure-all for anything. But of course it's NOT, and it can do more harm than good.

"Thinner" does NOT automatically equal "better" -- not for performance and not (unless a person likes fashion-model emaciation, which it seems a lot of skating fans do) for looks either.

I did NOT mean to suggest that Emily was starving herself. From videos that I saw of her SP and practices at Midlantic, yes, she has lost some weight since midsummer. I hardly think she was prompted to lose the weight because of comments on FS boards. I think she was a little over what she used to be when she was competing, and maybe she found it hard to skate with the extra pounds, so she worked on taking it off. But she is hardly "skinny" now---just close to what she was when she last competed.

silverfox

Rinkside
One of several factors that might be influencing Emily's performance is that at 19, she may be at the stage where fear starts to creep into the performance. The younger skaters, the jumping beans, haven't experienced that much fear yet, but Emily, just might possibly be experiencing it along with a lack of confidence, and diminishing skills.

Emily did not do a lutz, fell on or out of her flip, fell on and doubled her salchow, and the loop is still absent. She had no 3/2 combo in the short and no combo at all in the long.

I think that this competition, given the field, was hers to win The fact that she was 20 points overall behind the winner does not look good for her and this may very well be her highest placement in a competition this season. Historically, though, Emily does have mostly of 4th and 5th place standings in international competitions.

I don't wish to belabor the point, but Emily would have had to lose an enormous weight and been totally inactive to experience loss of stamina and strength.

Joesitz -- Steenburg didn't win the free skate, as he managed just three triples I believe. The free skate and the overall event was won by British skater Matthew Parr, who landed a triple Axel in the short and a triple Lutz-triple toe, among other jumps, in his free to "Band of Brothers." Evidently Parr was injured prior to the Merano JGP (where he placed 25th) and has since recovered. I think he is the first Brit since Steven Cousins to do a triple Axel in competition. Lynn
Many thanks for the info. I basically left after Steenberg and was hanging outside jabbering away with someone. I heard loud noises and rushed in to see a skater unbeknownst to me doing quite well. I presume he was the Brit. Darn it. I missed most of it. I have to remember that name, Parr.

i should have stayed. I would have loved to have seen Morgan. to me, she is the Kim Novak of figure skating.