That's one big phone bill | Golden Skate

That's one big phone bill

heyang

Record Breaker
Well, they are in business to make money. The family does have the right to protest that they weren't informed of all the charges involved and AT&T will likely move those charges. It's always about the fine print though.

One of my friends used Verizon's internet access via cell phone when he was in Florida on vacation. When he got back, he had a $300+ bill due to roaming charges. I know he protested the charges and I think removed a majority of them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you would think, though, since this bill was so far out of the norm for the customer that they'd at least check to make sure it wasn't stolen. I mean Credit Card companies put a hold on cards that are used a lot out of state and you have to call them and let them know you're travelling!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought I had heard something about this story on the news the other day. The family really should have done their homework first before making all the calls. My husband and I went for a trip to Vegas a few years ago and we checked with our cell phone company before we hit US soil what our charges out side Canada would be. We did not use our cells much on our trip. Cell phone companies - especially in Canada - really make a profit from us folks!! It ain't cheap, like the States.

:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not all of the states are cheap, believe me... Alaskans pay through the nose because we're using other companies satelites (at least that's what they tell us is the reason)

as for the family, they claim they asked the guy who sold them the policy about their son using it in Canada and he didn't tell them about the roaming fees.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I thought I had heard something about this story on the news the other day. The family really should have done their homework first before making all the calls. My husband and I went for a trip to Vegas a few years ago and we checked with our cell phone company before we hit US soil what our charges out side Canada would be. We did not use our cells much on our trip. Cell phone companies - especially in Canada - really make a profit from us folks!! It ain't cheap, like the States.

:biggrin:

Exactly! If you're going to make a major change like that, it stands to reason that there would be extra fees for international service. The company is in the business to make money. IMO, if you don't do your research, you deserved to get "screwed". Heck, he was going across international lines, not state lines.

However,
you would think, though, since this bill was so far out of the norm for the customer that they'd at least check to make sure it wasn't stolen. I mean Credit Card companies put a hold on cards that are used a lot out of state and you have to call them and let them know you're travelling!

And not just out of state. I had eight charges hit on my debit card on one Monday a couple of years back and got a phone call from the bank. Ended up, someone had gotten ahold of my number (I never did figure that one out).