Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Happy, healthy Kim hopes for big season

Rinkside
    Happy, healthy birthday for you, Yu-na!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing her new programs!

but hey, someone is trying to break this happy atmosphere..

Quote Originally Posted by ynkgraceonice View Post
    Yu-Na doesn't need 3A to win.

She is not a cheat jumper! She doesn't flutz like some skater. She also doesn't prerotate or underrotate her jumps like some skater.
    Everyone knows that. Her jumps are just amazing. But this is not only for her, but for others too.
    You don't have to trash other skaters to bring her up.. I cannot understand why some of her fanatic fans enjoy comparing her with that "some skaters" by slandering them, say, on youtube or everywhere. I cannot love those people..

And Mr. Orser.. well, why does he always try to mention Mao? I have beem tired of him since Gotheborg Worlds and now I'm suspicious whether he can be a good coach for Yu-na or not.
    I've never heard or seen the other coach like Nikolai, Tatiana, Rafael, Lee, Frank, and so on mentioning the other skaters or saying unkind comments to them in front of the press.I prefer them to Mr. Orser.
    I love Yu-na very much but I cannot like him in that point..

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by A for Axel View Post
    And Mr. Orser.. well, why does he always try to mention Mao? I have beem tired of him since Gotheborg Worlds and now I'm suspicious whether he can be a good coach for Yu-na or not.
    What did he say at Worlds?

Tripping on the Podium
    I've never heard or seen the other coach like Nikolai, Tatiana, Rafael, Lee, Frank, and so on mentioning the other skaters or saying unkind comments to them in front of the press.I prefer them to Mr. Orser.
    I see it differently. Media tends to keep comparing Yuna and Mao, sometimes asking a question like 'whether or not Yuna plans to practice a 3 axel and include it in her programs as Mao does'. In the situation that Yuna needs to manage her chronic injuries and does not plan to practice it, I think Brian Orser has to emphasize how solid and superior Yuna's other techniques are, which is true. I don't see that he intends to say something unkind to other skaters. You are over-reacting.

Regarding 3 axels, here is the clip showing Yuna's 3 axel practice several years ago. Although it is not a clean or successful one, at least you will see the way she practices it. Very huge, and pursuing a true 3 axel (minimizing prerotation etc.). I think she is the very person of grate humility and of honesty.

http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id...183874&page=30

Custom Title
    A for Axel . . . just to clarify, no where in the icenetwork article does Brian Orser mention Mao Asada or compare his student, Yu-Na Kim, to Mao Asada.

Rinkside
    I'm sorry I turn this thread into this topic for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
    What did he say at Worlds?
    He said at Worlds' press interview, although he wasn't asked about her, that her movement didn't correspond with the music, or that kind of thing.
    I just wondered why he could say such a mean comment to a girl of seventeen who came the big stage of Worlds without her coach. Doesn't he feel uncomfortable if his student was criticized by someone like this?
    Also I was kind of disgusted by his interview at 2007 GPF. There he said that Yu-na could win even if she made mistakes. Yeah, he was right after all, but I could not feel any respects for the other 5 skaters, actually even for Yu-na from this comment.
    tsk, tsk, tsk.. I know that I cannot change who he is and nobody cannot change how he acts. Now he is the hero of his hometown and a lot of skaters look up to him.
    So, anyway this is just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr
    A for Axel . . . just to clarify, no where in the icenetwork article does Brian Orser mention Mao Asada or compare his student, Yu-Na Kim, to Mao Asada.
    Oh my! I mistake the [including Mao] for "including Mao" !!
    That's why I thought he put an emphasis on the words and mentioned her.
    Sorry guys, I was wrong about it..

Custom Title
    I'm sorry I turn this thread into this topic for a while.

He said at Worlds' press interview, although he wasn't asked about her, that her movement didn't correspond with the music, or that kind of thing.
    I just wondered why he could say such a mean comment to a girl of seventeen who came the big stage of Worlds without her coach. Doesn't he feel uncomfortable if his student was criticized by someone like this?
    Did he actually say that?

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    Yes, I remember his saying that in one of the interviews. I thought it was rather weird, because all the commentators really praised Mao for her ability to express every note of the music.

I don't think that Brian has any bad intentions, but at times he seems a bit delusional, which hurts YuNa herself. He often praises her as the skater with no weaknesses at all, with such a quality that even if others skater land a 3A, Yu_Na will win anyway. But I think YuNa could become an even more impressive skater if her coach gave her a little push to improve her extension, lack of pointed toes, her spiral sequence which right now is very basic, her layback position, the "turtle" spin and step sequences.

Well, Brian mentioned working on spirals in the article, so hopefully that will improve. But I wish he would say "we will improve spirals because we want them to look great" and not "we will work on it because the system forces us to do so". Actually, I think that the flexibility isn't everything, and a full split position with bent knee and unpointed toes will look much worse than a position with less flexibility, but great extension.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    I don't know if we can call it a press interview. But just to clarify, Orser was at the rinkside with a Korean reporter during Mao's run-through and mentioned that her jumps were very good but didn't feel she was in harmony with the music well. I think they remember this single line included in this guy's article. You won't be able to find any single mention on this in the other presses since it was not an official interview.

I'm not trying to put someone down at this point but this reminds me of the similar cases of the coaches.

TAT also mentioned after GPF that Mao will always win when she tries 3 Axel and nails it, said that it's clearly very wrong for a skater who landed a clean triple Axel and finished the program successfully to lose to someone who did not even try a triple axel.

See how similar her comments are to the one you mentioned about Orser. They are coaches. They trust and value their own students above the other skaters, only possible when they have strong and reasonable trusts in their students. Tarasova's comments might taste bitter to some people, just like Orser's do the same to the others, too. But I'm not sure if we have rights to blame their beliefs and dislike them officially on the forum because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by common View Post
    TAT also mentioned after GPF that Mao will always win when she tries 3 Axel and nails it, said that it's clearly very wrong for a skater who landed a clean triple Axel and finished the program successfully to lose to someone who did not even try a triple axel.
    Well, Tarasova said that Asada should always win if she nails the Triple Axel (and proabably makes no other major mistakes). I don't think that this was against Kim or about how much she values Asada - wasn't that just against the judging system? Because under the old judging system two Triple-Triples and a Triple Axel would have totally crushed Kim's long program. But - that's why I didn't understand Tarasova's remark back then - under the old juding system Asada could have never won because of her short program placement.

^ OT -- So the dream podium is the Zebra, the Swan and the Techno-swan? :chorus::chorus::chorus:

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Well, Tarasova said that Asada should always win if she nails the Triple Axel (and proabably makes no other major mistakes). I don't think that this was against Kim or about how much she values Asada - wasn't that just against the judging system? Because under the old judging system two Triple-Triples and a Triple Axel would have totally crushed Kim's long program. But - that's why I didn't understand Tarasova's remark back then - under the old juding system Asada could have never won because of her short program placement.
    What TT said in an interview recorded after GPF is exactly "It is very wrong that who did 3A and finished program well lost to who didn't even try to do 3A." You can guess who is who. I agree with her that if someone nailed 3A cleanly as well as finished other components cleanly, she deserves to win. That is how the current judging systems is built.(Yes! Mao's technical base value of FP is much higher than other skaters') However, a point that TT was missing is that an athlete should execute the jumps well to get the full credit. The reason Mao got a 'narrow' win for GPF FP even with 3A, 3F-3T, and 3F-3L(she lost GPF due to her unfortunate SP) is not because her difficult jumps are not valued enough, but because she got -GOE on 3A and an edge call on 3Lz. I think that even with the errors, she could win the FP because of her 3A of which points got higher this season.
    Last edited by Love_Skate; 09-08-2008 at 05:51 AM.

Medalist

Back to the topic ^^

Sorry... I forgot what this thread is about for a moment.
    I hope this season every skater can fully show what they are preparing and can do... especially wish Yuna to be injury-free and be able to show her best this season.
    Last edited by Love_Skate; 09-07-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Rinkside
    Again, I have to say sorry for you guys that I turn this thread into this topic for a while. I didn't mean it actualy but I shouldn't have said this kind of thing as common said above.

Please understand that I just couldn't tolerate some people laughed at some skaters by saying they are cheat jumpers or underrotaters or that sort of thing.
    This is what I want to say the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy
    Yes, I watched this on TV. That's why I thought it's press interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Okami
    but at times he seems a bit delusional, which hurts YuNa herself.
    I feel the same thing for him, Okami. And I'm not sure this is good for Yu-Na..

Quote Originally Posted by common
    See how similar her comments are to the one you mentioned about Orser. They are coaches.
    Actually TAT wasn't somebody's coach then. She just stayed there as a commentator, didn't she? And I remenber she often said "wonderful!" while she was watching Yu-Na's long program.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Well, Tarasova said that Asada should always win if she nails the Triple Axel (and proabably makes no other major mistakes). I don't think that this was against Kim or about how much she values Asada - wasn't that just against the judging system? Because under the old judging system two Triple-Triples and a Triple Axel would have totally crushed Kim's long program.
    I actually took her comments as Medusa did. So I don't think her comment is similar to Orser's.
    BTW, I love your Dream Podium illustration. It's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Skate View Post
    Sorry... I forgot what this thread is about for a moment.
    I hope this season every skater can fully show what they are preparing and can do... especially wish Yuna to be injury-free and be able to show her best this season.
    Thank you Love_Skate for leading me to this topic again.
    Yes, I really hope everything goes well for Yu-Na this season.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    I just couldn't tolerate some people laughed at some skaters by saying they are cheat jumpers or underrotaters
    Hmmmm....

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Hmmmm....
    OK, you can say or think whatever. but I was hurt a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast