Happy, healthy Kim hopes for big season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Happy, healthy Kim hopes for big season

Wrlmy

Medalist
I'm sorry I turn this thread into this topic for a while.

He said at Worlds' press interview, although he wasn't asked about her, that her movement didn't correspond with the music, or that kind of thing.
I just wondered why he could say such a mean comment to a girl of seventeen who came the big stage of Worlds without her coach. Doesn't he feel uncomfortable if his student was criticized by someone like this?

Did he actually say that?:eek:

Okami

On the Ice

Yes, I remember his saying that in one of the interviews. I thought it was rather weird, because all the commentators really praised Mao for her ability to express every note of the music.

I don't think that Brian has any bad intentions, but at times he seems a bit delusional, which hurts YuNa herself. He often praises her as the skater with no weaknesses at all, with such a quality that even if others skater land a 3A, Yu_Na will win anyway. But I think YuNa could become an even more impressive skater if her coach gave her a little push to improve her extension, lack of pointed toes, her spiral sequence which right now is very basic, her layback position, the "turtle" spin and step sequences.

Well, Brian mentioned working on spirals in the article, so hopefully that will improve. But I wish he would say "we will improve spirals because we want them to look great" and not "we will work on it because the system forces us to do so". Actually, I think that the flexibility isn't everything, and a full split position with bent knee and unpointed toes will look much worse than a position with less flexibility, but great extension.

common

Spectator
I don't know if we can call it a press interview. But just to clarify, Orser was at the rinkside with a Korean reporter during Mao's run-through and mentioned that her jumps were very good but didn't feel she was in harmony with the music well. I think they remember this single line included in this guy's article. You won't be able to find any single mention on this in the other presses since it was not an official interview.

I've never heard or seen the other coach like Nikolai, Tatiana, Rafael, Lee, Frank, and so on mentioning the other skaters or saying unkind comments to them in front of the press.I prefer them to Mr. Orser.
I love Yu-na very much but I cannot like him in that point..
I'm not trying to put someone down at this point but this reminds me of the similar cases of the coaches.

TAT also mentioned after GPF that Mao will always win when she tries 3 Axel and nails it, said that it's clearly very wrong for a skater who landed a clean triple Axel and finished the program successfully to lose to someone who did not even try a triple axel.

See how similar her comments are to the one you mentioned about Orser. They are coaches. They trust and value their own students above the other skaters, only possible when they have strong and reasonable trusts in their students. Tarasova's comments might taste bitter to some people, just like Orser's do the same to the others, too. But I'm not sure if we have rights to blame their beliefs and dislike them officially on the forum because of this.

Medusa

Record Breaker
TAT also mentioned after GPF that Mao will always win when she tries 3 Axel and nails it, said that it's clearly very wrong for a skater who landed a clean triple Axel and finished the program successfully to lose to someone who did not even try a triple axel.

Well, Tarasova said that Asada should always win if she nails the Triple Axel (and proabably makes no other major mistakes). I don't think that this was against Kim or about how much she values Asada - wasn't that just against the judging system? Because under the old judging system two Triple-Triples and a Triple Axel would have totally crushed Kim's long program. But - that's why I didn't understand Tarasova's remark back then - under the old juding system Asada could have never won because of her short program placement.

^ OT -- So the dream podium is the Zebra, the Swan and the Techno-swan? :chorus::chorus::chorus:

Love_Skate

Rinkside
Well, Tarasova said that Asada should always win if she nails the Triple Axel (and proabably makes no other major mistakes). I don't think that this was against Kim or about how much she values Asada - wasn't that just against the judging system? Because under the old judging system two Triple-Triples and a Triple Axel would have totally crushed Kim's long program. But - that's why I didn't understand Tarasova's remark back then - under the old juding system Asada could have never won because of her short program placement.

What TT said in an interview recorded after GPF is exactly "It is very wrong that who did 3A and finished program well lost to who didn't even try to do 3A." You can guess who is who. I agree with her that if someone nailed 3A cleanly as well as finished other components cleanly, she deserves to win. That is how the current judging systems is built.(Yes! Mao's technical base value of FP is much higher than other skaters') However, a point that TT was missing is that an athlete should execute the jumps well to get the full credit. The reason Mao got a 'narrow' win for GPF FP even with 3A, 3F-3T, and 3F-3L(she lost GPF due to her unfortunate SP) is not because her difficult jumps are not valued enough, but because she got -GOE on 3A and an edge call on 3Lz. I think that even with the errors, she could win the FP because of her 3A of which points got higher this season.

Last edited:

Love_Skate

Rinkside
Back to the topic ^^

Sorry... I forgot what this thread is about for a moment. :p
I hope this season every skater can fully show what they are preparing and can do... especially wish Yuna to be injury-free and be able to show her best this season. :agree:

Last edited:

A for Axel

Rinkside
Again, I have to say sorry for you guys that I turn this thread into this topic for a while. I didn't mean it actualy but I shouldn't have said this kind of thing as common said above.

Please understand that I just couldn't tolerate some people laughed at some skaters by saying they are cheat jumpers or underrotaters or that sort of thing.
This is what I want to say the most.

Wrlmy said:
Yes, I watched this on TV. That's why I thought it's press interview.

Okami said:
but at times he seems a bit delusional, which hurts YuNa herself.
I feel the same thing for him, Okami. And I'm not sure this is good for Yu-Na..

common said:
See how similar her comments are to the one you mentioned about Orser. They are coaches.
Actually TAT wasn't somebody's coach then. She just stayed there as a commentator, didn't she? And I remenber she often said "wonderful!" while she was watching Yu-Na's long program.

Medusa said:
Well, Tarasova said that Asada should always win if she nails the Triple Axel (and proabably makes no other major mistakes). I don't think that this was against Kim or about how much she values Asada - wasn't that just against the judging system? Because under the old judging system two Triple-Triples and a Triple Axel would have totally crushed Kim's long program.
I actually took her comments as Medusa did. So I don't think her comment is similar to Orser's.
BTW, I love your Dream Podium illustration. It's cool.

Sorry... I forgot what this thread is about for a moment. :p
I hope this season every skater can fully show what they are preparing and can do... especially wish Yuna to be injury-free and be able to show her best this season. :agree:
Thank you Love_Skate for leading me to this topic again.
Yes, I really hope everything goes well for Yu-Na this season.

szidon

On the Ice
Again, I have to say sorry for you guys that I turn this thread into this topic for a while. I didn't mean it actualy but I shouldn't have said this kind of thing as common said above.

Please understand that I just couldn't tolerate some people laughed at some skaters by saying they are cheat jumpers or underrotaters or that sort of thing.
This is what I want to say the most.

I feel the same thing for him, Okami. And I'm not sure this is good for Yu-Na..

Actually TAT wasn't somebody's coach then. She just stayed there as a commentator, didn't she? And I remenber she often said "wonderful!" while she was watching Yu-Na's long program.

I actually took her comments as Medusa did. So I don't think her comment is similar to Orser's.
BTW, I love your Dream Podium illustration. It's cool.

Thank you Love_Skate for leading me to this topic again.
Yes, I really hope everything goes well for Yu-Na this season.

I remember Brian Orser's comment was only reported in ONE newspaper in South Korea. I'm sure Orser did not talk like that in a press interview. That's why a lot of fans have not heard about his comment.

Plus, the article reads that the reporter asked Orser about Mao watching her warm-up, which means the context of the dialogue seemed very casual and private. More importantly I'm not sure whether Orser's comment was about her practice itself at the time or her general choreograph execution. Maybe it might be Orser's perspective on Mao's strength and weakness, but It did NOT sound there was any intention of publicly laughing at a skater.

I don't think it's fair for a legendary skater to exaggerate just one line of an article and dishonor him. I think Orser is not just a legendary skater but also a great guy.

Last edited:

Love_Skate

Rinkside

Did you watch it on TV? Would you tell me what TV it was? If the clip is available at the web, would you let me know the link to it?
I found only a Korean article quoting the line from my search, which I believe is the one Common and szidon is referring to. That’s why I am with them in that the line is quoted from a very casual talk by a reporter who happened to watch her run-through with him.
I imagine the reporter asked him about how he saw her condition and skating that day and he was expressing his feeling on her practice session. He said, “Her jumps looked very good. I felt today she was somewhat not in harmony with the music, though.”
Ya… I don't feel his remark is that offensive.
Actually, we don’t know what he exactly said word by word (probably he also might not recall. ^^) because the article is written in Korean and he must have spoken it in English.
If you show me the video clip, it would tell what happened more precisely. Until then (and even when something unlikely is true), I will be very careful to speak something bad of a renowned skater and coach.

so_proud

Rinkside
Go Yuna!!

Yuna, be happy and healthy this season.

Surely, all of your fans love You and Brian!! :)

browsermaster

Spectator
i just hope she skates happy..

Yuna, be happy and healthy this season.

Surely, all of your fans love You and Brian!! :)

i don't think u guys noticed, but her smiles get brighter and brighter after she trained in canada..
T axel can be highlight of figure,, but not all, 3-3 can be highlight , but not all.
the important thing is she is beatiful out there at the rink , and also she is happy.
i hope to see her soon,