Billy Joel/Twyla Tharpe/Moving Out | Golden Skate

Billy Joel/Twyla Tharpe/Moving Out

Finally caught this show today. Incredible. If you like over the top extensions; innovative lifts; 8-10 rotations on pirouettes; acrobatic moves - all with non stop choreographed numbers to the tunes of Billy Joel, you will love this show. Finally enjoyed something by Ms Tharpe.

There is also a story line with joy, sadness, and resolution.

If there is a road show of this coming to your neck of the woods, I urge you to see this show.

Joe

Lucky you! Twyla didn't do so well her first time out on Broadway, but from what I read of the reviews, she seems to have gotten the knack.

Have you seen ABT do Tharp's "In the Upper Room?" It is one of my top five dance experiences (as audience) of all time. ABT does it far better than even Tharp's own company. It literally blew me back in my seat the first time I saw it and I saw it two more times that season and another time or two in a subsequent season. This was back in the early '90s. Tharp's best pure dance work by far, IMHO.

If I can crank up the old bod, I'll have to try to get a cheap ticket to "Moving Out." I bet the Wednesday (is it Wednesday?) matinee has a good chance of a good seat for not much. Thanks for the tip!
Rgirl
BTW, in Manhattan, if you have cable, check channel 95 (go to www.thirteen.org/metroarts/ for listings) to catch some good dance stuff. And channel 25 Thursdays at 8pm for "Dance New York." This is not the same as the Celia Ipiotis "Eye on Dance" show. Usually taped performances, sometimes golden oldie PBS "Dance in America" programs Variable quality, but there, lol.

for the Wednesday matinee, I got tickets with a friend from that Theatre Club everyone seems to belong to. We had good mezz seats. I passed by Tiketron in Duffy Square. There are so many plays available (half price) including Moving Out for Wednesday Matinees. The great thing is that it's two hours including intermission and you are out before the rush hour starts.

Tharpe has done many ballets for ABT. Of course, I remember Barishnikoff in Push Comes to Shove. It was very good and he demonstrated his versatility. There was another one I liked but I can't remember the name, maybe it was the one you mentioned.

Again the show is so fabulous. The band is in view and moves up and down; the lights go bananas at different times. It's staged like it was a Rock Concert.

I use RCN and my cable is not the same as Time Warner. I do however get Dance NY and Eye. I'll see if channel 95 has anything. Thanks.

Joe