programs that you have changed your opinion on | Golden Skate

programs that you have changed your opinion on

lulu

Final Flight
One program for me would be Lu Chen's Rach program. At first I though it was boring, however as I watched it for the second, third time I became more enraptured by it. I'm not sure if it is the greatest Ladies LP of all time(I haven't seen enough to judge) but I love the elegance of it now.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Hmmm, interesting topic.

I changed my mind about Oksana's 1994 Olympic LP. Being new to the sport and young at the time, I thought she would have been lucky with bronze. But...I've come to a different conclusion in the years since then. While certainly not technically perfect, it was a performance infused with honesty and emotion. Many don't agree, but as the years have passed I have seen more and more just how well Oksana commanded the ice. She MADE you watch her! (Shameless posing and dancing included!)

Michelle's "Scheherezade". I was really disappointed with this program before the Olympics (except at Nationals). After, I was just heartbroken for her, and didn't watch the 2002 Worlds. How surprised I was to see it this year and see how well she skated this program. It wasn't her best program in my opinion, but she gave it everything she had in Nagano. A solid, respectable program that wasn't nearly as bland as I had thought.

lulu

Final Flight
I totally agree with you on Oksana, for all her faults and for all her merits, one thing about her was her ability to draw you in and "Sell" a performance.

Maybe it is just me- but I saved her 1994 LP to my computer and I never get tired of it.

Of course I haven't watched ad-nauseum either:)

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
program that changed my opinion

Irina S. "Tosca"
I love this program, it is no doubt the 'salome' of Irina programs! I liked Irina but I thought she was all jumps but with this program(especially at 2002 worlds) she skated with artistic fire. She was totally into her performance. From start to finish she became tosca that's right she became tosca head-grasping and all!! Aww...the drama of it all was wonderful. Especially after her 2001 sleeper(yawn) Don Q. program Tosca showed that Irina really tried to improve her positions, cherography, and overall style to make a program audience and judges alike could love. It is NOT that Irina is not artistic look at her Schdler's list(sp?) ex. and her Tosca and Carmen LP. Irina just has a different style than the american girls. I can now say I like Irina and I think she IS artistic.

Germanice

On the Ice
Deleted because I misunderstood the topic! Sorry! ;)

Anke (... on her way to another English lesson!)

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
This may sound unbelievable, coming from me- if you know me. When I first saw B&S's Concert for Coloratura, I was a bit disappointed. It was very different from their previous year's Dark Eyes which was a more dynamic program. I not only disliked the music, I was not particularly impressed with the program either. However, after watching it 3-4 times I began to change my opinion. By now I must have seen it at least 50-60 times (all versions included). It is one of my most favorite B&S programs for its lyrical quality, elegance, and beauty. Every arm/foot movement, every look, every little detail expresses the music. It is a masterpiece.

I had a similar experience with their Citylights program. It seems every time they reinvented themselves, it took me a few runs to appreciate their new look. I am never tired of Citylights, for its innovation, difficulty, entertainment value, and as always its beauty.

Vash

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I thought Michelle's Aranjuez was "yet another spanish themed program" when I first saw it. After watching it a little more I have to say it's now my favourite. She skates it with a real passion, I'd kill to skate like that. And I loved the track so much I had to download it. :D

berthes ghost

Final Flight
When I watched Lillehamer, I thought that Oksana won because she had charisma out the wazoo (I still think she does). Now that I've learned a thing or two about the tech side of skating, I have traded places with BronzeisGolden and now think that she should have been lucky to have gotten bronze.

The first time I saw Taj, I though "oh no, Salome II" but over the years I've come to like it as it's own program.

I didn't like TRV because it seemed too staid, until her world's performance that is, that was dynamic.

Winter seemed a littel silly at first, with all of the snow throwing, but after seing it live at Euros, I was hooked. Talk about Charisma.