Tonya Harding/Larry King Interview | Golden Skate

Tonya Harding/Larry King Interview

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to the transcript from the "Larry King Live" interview with Tonya Harding.

Do you think Tonya is ready to get on with her life? Will boxing be the sport she will embrace as her source of income?

Do you think Tonya will have another (and possibly last) chance to skate in professional shows?

http://www.tonyaharding.com/files/text/larry_king_live.htm

skatepixie

On the Ice
I hope not. I really hope not. Shes screwed up big time. I wouldnt want them to take the chance of hurting atendance of a show by having her in it. It wouldnt be fair to the other skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonya Harding is her own worst enemy. Just when you think she has gotten her act together, she sabotages herself again. And again.

Panther2000

On the Ice
chuckm said:
Tonya Harding is her own worst enemy. Just when you think she has gotten her act together, she sabotages herself again. And again.

I agree. She has done it to herself. & the thing is she fails to learn her lesson. It is always something with her. I do belive that she is addicted to the drama of everything. She will do ok for a while & then something else will happen to her.

alina

Rinkside
I am sad about that.
She should retire from the public (no skating, no boxing, no shows) and try to get her life under control. In the public she will have no chance anyway because she will ever be the "beast" - the bad person. I wish her to find a way for living a happy life.

Alina

curious

Final Flight
very sad indeed. That's what happen when you get involve with the wrong crowd.

Spirit

On the Ice
KING: Do you -- you've met with Nancy Kerrigan, didn't you?

HARDING: Yes, I did.

KING: What happened at that meeting?

HARDING: Well, at least I got to apologize to her face to face, and that meant more to me than doing it through TV, or through interviews or something else, because then it doesn't seem that it's sincere.

KING: What did she say?

HARDING: I really don't remember what she said, but I don't think it was received very well.

I'm not interested in trashing Tonya, but I just wanted to ask...would that last sentence win the "Understatement of the Year" award?

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonya Harding is a classic example of "what might have been". She was one of the best jumpers ever in women's figure skating, and she had the talent to become a wonderful professional skater. Ms. Harding very unfortunately never seemed to learn that you can't go through life blaming everybody else for your own mistakes and errors of judgement and ultimately YOU must accept responsibility for your own behavior. People who never realize this simply never grow up emotionally.

icenut84

Final Flight
Spirit said:
I'm not interested in trashing Tonya, but I just wanted to ask...would that last sentence win the "Understatement of the Year" award?

Why, what was Nancy's response?

mpal2

Final Flight
If I'm remembering the apology correctly, it wasn't so much what Nancy said, it was the expression on her face and tone of voice that gave it away. I had to laugh.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is true that Tonya is responsible for messing up her own life.

It is also true that she once saved the life of a woman who had a heartattack at McDonald's by administering CPR.

If you have never messed up your life, ask yourself have you ever saved a life.

If you have messed up your life, ask yourself how you would go on if no one forgave you.

Tonya should of course get on with her life as best she can.

But so should we by ignoring the whole thing.

dpp

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Tonya

Nancy Kerrigan is the only figure skater I know of who was viciously attacked for the direct purpose of knocking her out of competition. It may be hard for us now but remember that cold January day when Nancy was attacked it was a horrible moment for sports, let alone figure skaing. To think that a rival skater(or as it turned out people assoiciated with a rival skater) could perpetrate such an attack on a fellow skater is just sickening to me. Plain and Simple. The USFSA did the right thing ,imho, to ban her from amature competition and to strip her of the '94 nat title. However I do have pitty for Tonya. I saw the interview and Tonya does have a right to "get on" with her life. She told Larry King that she is a religious woman and I have to take her for her word. Look Tonya was not blessed with a stable environment as a child. Tonya was abused by her mother and is now taking medication for her depression. There are 2 sides to everystory and Iam glad that I now see Tonya's. I hope Tonya will derive some sort of happiness in her life.

BTW,
For those of you who are too young Tonya was an amazing talent in Figure skating. The first American Woman to land the 3 axle!!! If that happened today well...it hasn't Tonya is STILL the only American Woman to land a 3 axle in compotition. Don't let what happened off ice cloud what she did on the ice.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
The meeting between Tonya and Nancy was ridiculous. Nancy was horribly uncomfortable and all Tonya did was sit there, look Nancy in the eye and lie her tail off. She "apologized", yeah, right--she apologized only for the amount of involvement she got nailed for, she still sat there and claimed she wasn't involved in the attack in any other way. Nancy just sat there and squirmed. I think she regrets ever agreeing to do the interview.

Although some will disagree with my opinion, the authorities involved said that they had more than enough evidence to prove that Tonya was invovled from the beginning, in the plotting and planning and execution of the attack. They cut a deal with her as is common in situations like these. I, too, wish Tonya Harding would just "go away" and live life quietly, but she is addicted to the spotlight and she is going to be a celebrity no matter what, good or bad. She is so pathetic. :(

S

SkateFan4Life

I would like to see Tonya Harding have another chance to skate in professional ice shows. Perhaps she could enjoy a successful skating career if she toured with Holiday on Ice in Europe or skated in Japan and other Asian countries. If she had several solid years of show skating, with good press (and, of course, no more run-ins with the law), perhaps she could return to Canada to skate professionally and eventually make her way back to the United States.

Yes, Tonya is persona non grata in US skating, and she bears the blame for the mess she made of her life. Still, she deserves the chance to rebuild her life.

Just my two cents, of course.