Nebelhorn Results | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Results

icenut84

Final Flight
Wow, this is really interesting! I wasn't too sure about the whole COP thing at first (I still think they should iron out some bumps, such as giving points for a jump even if it's fallen on) but it's really interesting to see results from it. Not only the big jumps in placement, but also I like how the scores of the SP are kept as scores rather than just placement - so there is a points difference between someone who slam dunks in the SP and someone who wins by a tiny margin. I think that's great. :)

Can't wait to see the results of the GP events! (As I'm more familiar with the skaters.) Also way to go Sinead and John Kerr! So close to a bronze.

Norlite -- Yeah, that is strange. The individual pages don't seem to have their own Internet addresses.

I know that some commercial sites don't want you to jump into the middle of their spiel like that because they want to make sure that you read all the ads that you encounter on the way, while you're trying to get to the page you want.

Anyway, thanks for the information on Nick. I don't suppose that this competition is going to be on television at all (?)

Toni -- ITA about the "slamdunk in the short program." That is a new and interesting twist, and I think a good one. So it will be like a football team that is down by 10 points after the first half. Can they make a comeback, or will it fall short. I think this is better than the old, if you're in the top three and you win the free, you win the gold.

Mathman

Last edited:
Mathman--You are indeed right, people ARE discussing the COP. I hadn't looked at this thread because I didn't know any of the skaters.

Okay, one more post to go to make 3k. On which thread should it be? Gee, this is almost like watching the odometer go from 99,999 to 100,000:p
Rgirl

Rgirl, you want discussion of the CoP? Just wait till the season begins in earnest with Skate America, and all of our favorite skaters start getting "robbed" by the new system!

Mathman, You're just trying to get me to post my 3000th post in this thread. Well, buddy, you missed it, har har!

Seriously, we are having an Rgirl 3k partay somewhere on GS, which we would not even be having were it not for you. You just have to find it:p
RG2/9-6-03/3K

Norlite

On the Ice
The ISU has done an amazing (for them;) ) thing and released all detailed protocols for each skater at Nebelhorn.

Anyone wanting to get a very clear look at CoP, and how it is marked for each skater should take a look.

Click on Protocol Details at the right of each event. But note it is in PDF format.

http://www.isufs.org/events/nt03/index.htm

I hope they continue to release this info for the GP events! :)

dewet

Final Flight
Clean programs mean a lot under COP. I think Jennifer Don was smart to do a program she knows she can do.

mzheng

Record Breaker
dewet said:
Clean programs mean a lot under COP. I think Jennifer Don was smart to do a program she knows she can do.

I happened to think it is most important to skate clean and DO what you can, not TRY what you are NOT SURE in competetion. You can TRY all what you are NOT SURE in your practice. The TV viewers and audiances pay big bucks to attend the competetion don't want see a splat feast.

And that's where the Sureness, Confident, Command on Ice will show on the ice.

Norlite

On the Ice
fanforlady2001 said:
I can't wait to see how the new systems effects grand prix and worlds.

Grand Prix- yes. But it will not be used for World's this year.

bleuchick

On the Ice
I have always had high hopes for CoP. One of them is that skaters get penalized for doing subpar elements. It is high time a 10th ranked skater(s) with a better lutz or death spiral benefit at the expense of a gold medal contender with a poor lutz or death spiral.

Looking over the details which was interesting to look over, I did not see any scores from individual judges. I presume this is spart of the secrecy established by Speedy to prevent a scream of "foul play" by the viewers. The judges who actually had their scores used is also not known from the details.

While it's always nice for me to see an American gal win a gold medal, I am really more concerned about which judge did what.

Joe

Norlite

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Looking over the details which was interesting to look over, I did not see any scores from individual judges. I presume this is spart of the secrecy established by Speedy to prevent a scream of "foul play" by the viewers. The judges who actually had their scores used is also not known from the details.

While it's always nice for me to see an American gal win a gold medal, I am really more concerned about which judge did what.

Joe

LOL...Oh Joe.....:laugh: You just got more information about how a skater was judged in any competition in the history of skating, from low level comps to elite, and your still not happy. :laugh:

bleuchick- it's labeled "Protocol Details" it's sticking out to the right of the results box.

alina

Rinkside
I am really more concerned about which judge did what.
I agree
Why do they make a secret about the scores of the individual judges?
I think it would be better to make clear (open) the scores of the individual judges to reduce more the possibility of corruption, not to be suspect of having done arrangements and judging fair and nearly objective the home skater.

Alina

Wow, that's fantastic. (Not the secrecy, but the amont of information that they are making available.) This will keep us statistics geeks going all season long.

Hey Tonichelle -- Here's all you'll ever need for your term paper on the CoP.

Mathman

Norlite

On the Ice
That is true. If she prints out these protocol sheets, plus the ISU Communications that explains the marking, she could have quite a paper.

Good Luck Toni!

You know what would be cool? On televised competitions they could keep a running point total going, in a little box, alongside the total that they have to beat for all the previous skaters so far.

Like they could say, look, it's 3:12 into her program and she has 121.4 points already, with her second triple Lutz coming up at the 3:20 mark!

MM

Norlite

On the Ice
Mathman..LOL....even if that was possible with TV technology, I don't think it is possible, or of any use, with the COP system. Maybe with the Tech marks, (jumps, spins, etc.) but I would think that the program component marks, not to mention things like time, costume, music violations, are not assigned until the end of the skater's program.

At best, we could only get half the marks during the program.

Oh Norlite - You are so right. I'm never happy until I know what judge is marking whom and why. At least in the old system, I could keep tabs on the marks which were given and who gave them. But, ok, there is more information but I still contend there is top secrecy as to the actual markings by individual judges.

Some years ago in GS, we had a poster who claimed the Judges are always correct, and then came SLC Senior Ladies. She was absolutely crushed!

But if you believe in the full faith and trust in the judges, that's ok with me.:eek:

Joe