Year in Review: Sasha Cohen | Golden Skate

Year in Review: Sasha Cohen

Sasha is a top tier skater and for that is more scrutinized.

Her past season, for me, was quite good. She won several lst places in the GP and it looked like she was on that role which we all anticipated even before the season began.

Her Campbells was ok. That competition really doesn't mean much imo. It is trying out the ammo that you are going to use at Nats GPs, and Worlds.

The Nats, however, I thought she was 'held-up'; The GPs were wonderful. The gold was well deserved. The Worlds was better than some think. She did an excellent QR and the LP was competitive.

She just may do this season what we anticipated last season. She's good!

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Sasha was THE favorite for Nationals but now they are sugar coating it a little when since it didn't happen. They were just waiting to give her the crown. Also who's to say that at that time she would have been 1st in the short program at Worlds had she skated clean. It might have been closer but I can't say that she would have definitely been in 1st.

euterpe

Medalist
What is most revealing is that Sasha's year was the LAST to be reviewed. Usually, that spot is given to the champion.

The USFSA is clearly 'pushing' Sasha as the next best hope for the US. Considering all the Sasha hype put on the USFSA board just before '03 Nationals, this may not be productive. The greater the hype, the more pressure, and for Sasha, that just contributes to loss of concentration and more mistakes in performance.

rtureck

Final Flight
euterpe said:
The greater the hype, the more pressure, and for Sasha, that just contributes to loss of concentration and more mistakes in performance.

I think hype and pressure are neutral factors, skaters have chances to rise above the hype and live up to it, and stare down the pressure and win.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
"Revealing" review?

euterpe said:
What is most revealing is that Sasha's year was the LAST to be reviewed. Usually, that spot is given to the champion.
The USFSA is clearly 'pushing' Sasha as the next best hope for the US.
What is your source for the idea that the "last spot is given to the champion" wrt to the USFSA's year in review feature? I honestly have no recollection of what (if anything) was done for the 2001-02 season, but this year the reviews were presented in reverse order of Nationals podium standings: the gold medalists were first, beginning with Mike Weiss, then the Haydenettes, followed by Lang & Tchernyshev, Scott & Dulebohn, and then Michelle. Then came all the silver medalists, ending with Sarah Hughes and finally the bronze medalists, again ending with the lady. If this order is somehow "revealing" then it also means that Ryan Jahnke, Inoue & Baldwin, Gregory & Petukhov, and Team Elan are all being similarly being "pushed" by the USFSA. Sorry, but I just don't buy it. :rolleye:

registered

On the Ice
It's a very good review, done in the positive light. The season is over, whatever happened, happened, there's no need to come up harshly against the skater, who without a doubt feels bad about what she could have achieved, and didn't. Whatever lessons Sasha learned in the past season, all the success, disappointments -- are all hers. Hopefully, she'll be able to build up on that in the future. Time to move on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ever hear of 'saving the best for last?'

I agree with euterpe. Putting Sasha's year last is more or less giving her a boost.

eurterpe - It's quite possible that the USFSA is pushing Sasha to keep the Americans happy that they produce the greatest lady figure skaters in the world. I don't think Sasha is thinking about that. I hope not. She has other matters to consider.

IMO, Sasha is the great hope for the USA if she does her work properly. She has sufficient competition in the USA alone to keep her on her blades. Once the Nats are over and she has gained all that exposure at the GPs she faces some tough competition from the international community. My top Sasha adversaries would be: Yokina Ota; Dan Fong; Elena Sokolova; Irina Slutskaya. They are skating to win!

Of course, there are always Michelle and Fumie.:sheesh:

Joe

skatingfan5

On the Ice
The worst go first

chuckm said:
Ever hear of 'saving the best for last?' I agree with euterpe. Putting Sasha's year last is more or less giving her a boost.
OK, giving Sasha the "place of honor" as "closer" for the reviews was carefully planned by the USFSA in the spring. They also achieved a subtle way of telling the current champions that perhaps its time they move on -- and evidently L&T got the message. :rolleye: I guess I just don't see things the same way as others, but have it your way -- the best is saved for last, so they had the "worst go first." :laugh:

gezando

Final Flight
Re: The worst go first

skatingfan5 said:
OK, giving Sasha the "place of honor" as "closer" for the reviews was carefully planned by the USFSA in the spring. They also achieved a subtle way of telling the current champions that perhaps its time they move on -- and evidently L&T got the message. :rolleye: I guess I just don't see things the same way as others, but have it your way -- the best is saved for last, so they had the "worst go first." :laugh:

L&T are the current USA champions, but they were out skated in worlds.

Joesitz, you really like Dan Fang that much? It must be the cute dimples. ;) All joking aside, Dan Fang is not only cute, she has potential.

Last edited:
gezande - Dan Fong is indeed cute and al skater with lots of potential. It's time for the Chinese to make their mark in Ladies Figure Skating. It's that COP thing that makes me think so many skaters have a chance for gold, Dan, among them.

Joe

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I disagree with the idea that the "closer" spot was special or saved for Sasha, I think they simply went in the order described, and she was the third place lady and that's where she fit in the reviews. I do agree that it was a positive and good writeup and the pics were great. The review that I thought they REALLY "tap danced" on was Sarah's, whitewashing it to make it look like it was a better season than it was, especially with the far from harsh spin they put on her Worlds' performances. Of course, they certainly couldn't say they were disappointed in her, and I realize that. In general, Sasha's review was fair, because despite her disappointments, she had a much more positive than negative season and she showed a lot of progress in general.

Sasha had a fabulous year. She seems poised now at the threshold of what we all hope will be an impressive string of podium finishes, honors on and off the ice, and major championships.

About her 2002-2003 season, the only thing that disappointed me was the attitute of "team Sasha" after Worlds. This is a quote from Sasha's official web site, presumably written by her public relations people:

"Sasha finished in fourth place for the second year but almost pulled off an upset when she finished third in the free skate. Based on Fumie Suguri's winning her easier qualifying group and placing ahead of Sasha in the short program, Suguri was awarded the bronze medal."

First, you cannot go into an important competiton with the attitude that it would be an "upset" if you manage to get third place. You are there to WIN!

Second, you cannot blame the skate gods if you have to skate against the top people. If you want to be the best, you have to skate against the best and beat them, not hope to get a "bye."

I hope that her victories, especially in the Grand Prix, will give her the boost of confidence that she needs to take it all the way to the top this year.

Mathman

euterpe

Medalist
Mathman said:
This is a quote from Sasha's official web site, presumably written by her public relations people:

"Sasha finished in fourth place for the second year but almost pulled off an upset when she finished third in the free skate. Based on Fumie Suguri's winning her easier qualifying group and placing ahead of Sasha in the short program, Suguri was awarded the bronze medal."

Wow, that is really spinning! What wasn't mentioned was that Sasha finished third in her qualifying group and was tied for FIFTH after the SP. Sasha would have had to finish two places higher than Fumie to medal.

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Sasha had a fabulous year. She seems poised now at the threshold of what we all hope will be an impressive string of podium finishes, honors on and off the ice, and major championships.

About her 2002-2003 season, the only thing that disappointed me was the attitute of "team Sasha" after Worlds. This is a quote from Sasha's official web site, presumably written by her public relations people:

First, you cannot go into an important competiton with the attitude that it would be an "upset" if you manage to get third place. You are there to WIN!

Second, you cannot blame the skate gods if you have to skate against the top people. If you want to be the best, you have to skate against the best and beat them, not hope to get a "bye."

I hope that her victories, especially in the Grand Prix, will give her the boost of confidence that she needs to take it all the way to the top this year.

Mathman

IMO it's not about Fumie, it's about Sasha. She was 3rd after the LP, and they had to explain, why she ended up in fourth, over all. Qualifying rounds was a big part of it, and it's a fact that one group had stronger skaters, than another. They did acknowledge, that Fumie bet Sasha in the SP.

http://www.fumiesuguri.com/en_snaps/img/19/13s.jpg

rtureck

Final Flight
registered said:
IMO it's not about Fumie, it's about Sasha. She was 3rd after the LP, and they had to explain, why she ended up in fourth, over all. Qualifying rounds was a big part of it, and it's a fact that one group had stronger skaters, than another. They did acknowledge, that Fumie bet Sasha in the SP.

http://www.fumiesuguri.com/en_snaps/img/19/13s.jpg

They can explain that without dragging in Fumie. People can do the math, SC placed third in QR that was worth 20% etc.......... , Of course they have to acknowledge Fumie beat Sasha at worlds twice in 2 years, it is in the records. Actually, I still don't understand why Sasha placing 3rd in QR has to be explained. She placed 3rd in US nationals.

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
They can explain that without dragging in Fumie. People can do the math, SC placed third in QR that was worth 20% etc.......... , Of course they have to acknowledge Fumie beat Sasha at worlds twice in 2 years, it is in the records.

Not everybody follow the sport closely and know how the rules work. They've done nothing wrong by mentioning Fumie. And if you're objecting to them "dragging in Fumie," than why would you suggest they need to mention, that Fumie bet Sasha twice in 2 years? First, you're not being consistent here, second it has nothing to do with last year's World's. Besides, I believe Sasha have bet Fumie more than 2 times in the course of the past 2 years.

rtureck

Final Flight
registered said:
Not everybody follow the sport closely and know how the rules work. They've done nothing wrong by mentioning Fumie. And if you're objecting to them "dragging in Fumie," than why would you suggest they need to mention, that Fumie bet Sasha twice in 2 years? First, you're not being consistent here, second it has nothing to do with last year's World's. Besides, I believe Sasha have bet Fumie more than 2 times in the course of the past 2 years.

I did not suggest that they acknowledge Fumie beating Sasha at worlds in Sasha's website.

My exact words were. "Of course they have to acknowledge Fumie beat Sasha at worlds twice in 2 years, it is in the records. "

What I meant was in response to your "They acknowledged Fumie beat Sasha (therefore it is OK for them to drag in Fumie)"

My thinking was, since they dragged in Fumie, and (in a small way discredited Fumie), they have to acknowledge the record, and then I said, let the record shows that Fumie beat Sasha 2x at worlds.

Last edited: