Good Skaters with Bad choreography | Golden Skate

Good Skaters with Bad choreography

April

Rinkside
Who needs a new choreographer?

My list:

1. Michael Weiss--his works lack something.
2. Sasha Cohen--Coach T's good but way to serious choregraphy.
3. Takeishi Honda--I hate his music and his work has no climax, or something.

The end

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Michelle Michelle Michelle.
I love her skating, don't get me wrong. But every program of hers these past few years looks like exactly the one before, but with different music and a new costume.

Germanice

On the Ice
Have to agree about Kwan: If you know one program, you know them all. :eek:

But the worst case: Evgeny Plushenko! Actually he's one of my favourite skaters, but his choreographies are just horrible. He should finally get rid of all those amateurs around him, hell, he's such an excellent skater! Call Amnesty International! Free Evgeny Plushenko!!! :\

Anke

kemy

Rinkside
Kwan? I think the short program this year was different...prob because the main choreographer was morosov.

Maybe with two programs choregraphed by him this year (he only tweaked the LP last year) we'll see something different again.

Cohen: Same style, different facial expressions

Irina: too much gyrating

Panther2000

On the Ice
Germanice said:
But the worst case: Evgeny Plushenko! Actually he's one of my favourite skaters, but his choreographies are just horrible. He should finally get rid of all those amateurs around him, hell, he's such an excellent skater! Call Amnesty International! Free Evgeny Plushenko!!! :\

Anke

Count me in on that one. He is a great technical skater. But, most of his programs is a much aquired taste. This years wasn't that bad though. Samething with his costumes. But that is for another topic. :laugh:

EricAba

Rinkside
In defense of Michelle Kwan, I thought her SP this year, to "The Feeling Begins", was brilliant stuff- choreographically different from anything I had seen from her before. Her LPs seem to be a bit more generic, but as I'm sure others have said on this board, there's only so much you can do when you have to fit in seven or so triple jumps and other elements. I think Kwan makes what she has work for her- in general, it seems that the elements in her programs are placed to good musical effect.

In particular, I'd like to put a plug in for her "This Time Around" exhibition, which I just downloaded from Cruella de Kwan's web site. Boy, talk about great coreography... and she sold that program to the hilt. In particular, check out the last spiral - now that's using the music well, and to stunning effect!!

Re good skaters who need better coreography, I think Sokolova is at the top of my list. Also Irina, just judging from what she put out this year. On the men's side, I'd agree with Michael Weiss, perhaps Alexander Abt as well- I wasn't too fond of his "Bolero" program. In pairs, probably Petrova and Tikhonov- many seem to say that they're boring, but they're wonderful skaters, and with the right coreography, they just might find their "spark"...

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Eric, I agree with you. Sokolova and Petrova & Tikhonov would be on the top of my list. I think Sasha, Michelle, and Plush all have choreography appropriate for them.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I think Michelle's programs this season were much better than Kawakara's(sp?) Schez. I do wish she and Morozov (or whoever she uses) would spend more than 2-3 days(!) on structuring & developing a program. They are pretty 'bare bones' compared to Lori's in-between fests of a few years ago. I'd like to see her add some more 'stuff.'

Takeshi's stuff is pretty zzzz....

Tim obviously still needs some work, but I think Lori did what she could with Tim's ability at the time she did those programs. Hopefully she'll add some more content and sophistication as Tim develops (which hopefully he is).

Pet&Tik for sure.

rain

Record Breaker
My list begins with the ever-popular Plushenko! He is a great skater but I have never been able to properly enjoy him because of his awful, effeminate-looking choreography.

Before last year I would have said Michelle Kwan, who was stuck in a choreographic and musical rut there for a few years, but last year I think she made the changes necessary and loved her routine.

None of the men had very exciting choreography last year. How I missed Yagudin....

Of the pairs I'd have to say Petrova and Tikhonov are desperately in need of not only a new choreographer, but a full makeover. This is a technically decent team that puts me to sleep.

Ice-dance was pretty much a snoozer last year as well choreographically speaking. I liked B&K, but was really disappointed with some of the rest of the field, including L&A who I've always loved, but what were they thinking with that FD? Anyway, I really missed the innovation of the Lithuanian pair and A&P.

curious

Final Flight
effeminate looking choreo Plushy? Funny what some people think as effeminate I call it original. At least the guy doesn't imitate anyone like other skaters. His style is very unique and yes,he is not afraid to be himself. He is a very confident skater,I like that about him.:D

Jill

On the Ice
Irina, and Sarah. Both exceptionally talented, both need a new choreographer, NOW!

Mike Weiss is a snore, as well as P/T.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
All I can say is that anyone who finds Plushy's choreo "origional" must have never seen Urmanov skate. I find Plushy's package about as origional as a Disney plot. Fresh as day old bread IMHO.

rtureck

Final Flight
EricAba said:

In particular, I'd like to put a plug in for her "This Time Around" exhibition, which I just downloaded from Cruella de Kwan's web site. Boy, talk about great coreography... and she sold that program to the hilt. In particular, check out the last spiral - now that's using the music well, and to stunning effect!!

I remember watching her at COI, the change of edge spiral in that program covered at least 1.5 X the length of the rink. She traced a almost the number 8 on the ice. The linear distance from the apex to base of the number 8 was about the length of the rink.

Back to topic, I will add Sarah to the list.

Last edited:

Lisa

On the Ice
Curious, if you compare Evgeny Plushenko to the other eligible skaters who skate now, then you are right. One of the reasons for his being unique resides certainly in the fact that there are far less Plush-copies than Yags-copies out there ;)
Did you ever watch Alexei Urmanov skate? I wouldn't say they are identical, but a lot of what Plush does was already there. Urmanov has a more natural grace while Plush is impish, and both are certainly elegant. Coming to think of it, if you watch Yagudin's earlier programs (the Mishin era) closely, you can see parallels, too.

Personally, I would love to see Plush work with another team than Mishin's. I know, never change a winning team, and Plushenko himself certainly hasn't got any reason to change. But still, I would love to see how he would do. I enjoy his technical skating very much, but his choreographies and most of his costumes are not exactly my cup of tea.

Lisa

On the Ice
I don't think Sasha Cohen needs another choreographer, but in my book, classical music like the one she used last season is not exactly her style. My first reaction was like: TT wanted her to prove that she can do it, in order to make her obtain Gold in the long run (because I believe that a skater should be able to skate to different kinds of music if he/she wants to be the World's best skater). I can only hope I'm right. Swan Lake for this season, is that correct? Modern version, maybe??????

A definite yes as far as Sasha Abt is concerned! His "Bolero" was :eek: - especially the costume, btw. It was even more awful life than on tv!

rtureck

Final Flight
What is a modern version of swan lake, like the modern version of Beethoven's 5th?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Shizuka Arakawa's Swan Lake was kind of a modern and poppy version.

Actually Tatiana Tarosova didn't have anything to do with choosing Rachmaninoff No. 2. According to Morosov, Sasha already had her SP and LP choreographed before she made the move to TT.

kay118

Spectator
Yup. Morozov made the two programs for Sasha before she decided to train with TT full time.

I noticed a couple of posters praised MK's This Time Around. Well, it's actually my least favorite MK programs. The spirals are great, as always, but there's not one single original move in the whole program. I enjoyed her earlier exhibition programs a lot more (EOE, Dante's Prayers and "Message in the Bottle"). There seems to be a lot more genuine feelings and orginial moves in those programs. I'm glad she decided to dump Lori after that season.

Lisa

On the Ice
ooops, that has sort of slipped my mind, thanks guys!

Like a modern version of Beethoven, yes, or if you look at "Nutcracker" and "Revolution Etude" - this is what I mean.