New Boots | Golden Skate

New Boots

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Since I have started skating again I really want a new pair of boots. I have a pair of SPTeri's that I bought 14 years ago and never had a chance to break them in. I know that todays boots are a lot better, (mine are like a hard rock) then when I bought mine. Now if anyone can help me out here and suggest a good boot for a sort of beginner I would appreciate it :D

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Why not have a pro check the boots you have first? They might still be good if they were stored well.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
I agree. I'm skating on Super Teris that I bought in 1979 and only used a couple of times. They have lasted me 18 months, but now they have turned into houseslippers. Of course it doesn't help that I leave them in the trunk of the car all summer and put them on and skate in them when they're heated up to melting!!! Naughty me.

I find that "today's" skates are much rock-harder than the skates back in the stone age. So I agree, have someone scope them out. Except for the fact that they probably look like they belong in the Smithsonian (at least mine do, they're so "high" above the ankle), you might save yourself some money for awhile. In the meantime, you can scope out what you like and plan for the next pair.

Good luck!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm not sure about the new skates but my old ones are rock hard. Someone told me about Jackson skates that you heat up and then they mold to your feet. Anyone have a pair of those?

Lanie

On the Ice
Jacksons are horrible. Mine are...!! Augh! Just a piece of crud. They hurt my feet all the time; we've gotten them punched out and heat molded so many times and I've put orthopedics in there for my high arches, and they still feel like they're squeezing my feet--and they're the correct size! Don't get Jacksons, LOL. Everyone I know at my rink has had problems, too; my coach threw hers out.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
The bootfitter I went to said that Jacksons have improved a lot over the last five years -- and that's what everyone says. But he had kind of this wink wink nudge nudge look in his eye, like "we're paid to sell Jacksons here, but I'm not recommending them to you" (and he didn't).

So I don't want to diss Jacksons because there are lots of folks who use them and like them, but maybe they're not for you.

He asked me a LOT of questions about my skating, where I am now, my future goals, how much I weigh, how often I skate, etc. Then he watched me walk to see if I had any pronation. Then he made recommendations.

As far as heat moldable, my understanding was that most of the skates I looked at were heat moldable and they had the oven thing right there in the store. I have absolutely no experience with this, because back when I skated as a kid there was no heat molding and no punch outs (no Bunga pads either!).

Don't know if that helps. Getting new skates is such a personal, individualized thing. Good luck!

SugarCoated

Rinkside
I bought my jacksons about a year ago. They were heated and stretched and custom fitted to my foot. They're great skates its just that they are so stiff! Seriously i mean im not on the ice everyday but when i am i skate damn hard and theyre barely broken in.

I would recommend jacksons only if ur planning on skating quite a bit.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
boots

My daughter skated in Jacksons for the last 2 years. Her coach suggested that perhaps we may want to consider changing boots as Jackson's tend to have a higher heel than all other skates, which means you lean more forward.

When we asked at the skate shop, they assured us that that problem has been corrected, and according to my tape measure (yes I brought one to check it) that problem has in fact been corrected. My daughter never had a days problem breaking in jackson skates, and many of the skaters at our arena also wear them.

For those that have had a problem breaking them in, perhaps the boot is too strong/stiff for your abilities. That is so often the case..... people buying skates that are simply not right for them.

An easier skate to break in, as the leather is softer, is GAM boots. They are relatively new on the market, reasonably priced, and have really become very popular. If you want heat moldable skates, just ensure they are in fact leather and not synthetic. We bought a pair of used grafs (i got such a deal I couldn't pass them up) and we have found they don't stretch well nor mold well because they are synthetic ( makes the lighter to wear).

So far, my daughter loves the grafs, but in the store she loved the GAMS. She said they didn't feel like new boots.

Figureskates

On the Ice
I wear Reidells and I have had no problems with them at all. I have really weird feet, i.e. no arch at all plus I have a size 13 foot.

They did not take that long to break in and they feel like bedroom slippers. I have skated up to 4 hours in them and my feet have not complained.

SugarCoated

Rinkside
Figureskates- my understanding on ice skates when i asked a pro was that they shouldnt feel like a slipper/sneaker. They should be pretty snug ... not hurt but yea... ok ill shutup now cuz im not a pro lol.

I used to have Reidells when i first got started but as i started getting more advanced (read... not really ha) i found they didnt give me enough support.

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I wear reidells. They are great! I have been skating for 3 years and I love them! they are all i have ever use and they are just the right fit on me. and comfortable.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Skates are an individual choice. I had used Reidell's originally, and it turns out they were all wrong for my feet and too big to boot. I love my custome Klingbeil's. My husband had Jacksons but they lasted less than two years for him (Jackson Marquis). He only skates one to two hours a week, but he broke them down quickly. (He's ISI Delta, no jumps yet besides waltz). When he went to get measured, our pro recommended Reidell Gold Stars because he's tall though not heavy and would need a supportive boot. (6 foot 2, about 188 pounds). He's had the Gold Stars for a month and really likes them so far.

Last edited:

imanta

Rinkside
How long does it take to break in a new pair of boots (on average or a time range)? I'm not a skater so I have no idea but on another board someone posted that it can be a huge deal to break them in. Sasha apparently is breaking in new boots so I was just curious. Also, is that typical to be breaking in new boots at the start of a season?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I just got back from the ice rink where I was ready to buy a new pair of boots. Instead I just had my old boots (which are still rather new) adjusted for my foot, especially my left foot. I had the leather punched out where my bones protrude and they feel much better. I also bought some bunga pads for my ankle area. The guy was very nice and said he didn't want to sell me a new pair of boots if my old ones where still good. So instead of spending a few hundred dollars it cost me a total of $45 to make my skates feel comfortable. My husband was happy about that:)

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
dlk,

So glad you resolved your boot issue, and so inexpensively to boot (pardon the pun)

Imanta,

RE: breaking in boots

Yes, breaking in boots is really a big deal. It is a process that takes some time, and is not the most pleasant process either. Some people have relatively good luck, and there are all kinds of tricks to the trade to make it go smoother. As for Sasha breaking in new boots, it is extremely common to have new boots to break in at the beginning of a season. Most skaters will replace their boots each year as the strain they put on them breaks them down in that time frame.

Canuck

B

bladesnsk8s

boots

Choosing the right skates are usually a matter of preference. Jackson skates have improved over the years so whoever said that their pro shop told them that - well they weren't just trying to sell them. More and more people are choosing Jackson over Riedell. However if you are happy with the brand of boot you are skating with my suggestion is to stick with that brand. I personally skate on Harlicks - had Harlicks for the past 4 years and have stuck with them since there have been no problems.

If anyone is looking to purchase brand new skates or blades please email me for prices.
We can offer low, competitive prices on mail orders and we are running a special promotion so feel free to post or email me for more information.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
With all my adjustments to my boots, I have to say that they feel much better. Now if only I can skate better:laugh: