Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ina Bauer questions

Custom Title
    Originally posted by gezando
    At worlds exhibitiion, most of the ladies included the ina bauer. Fumie's was the most impressive in my book, she covered MAJOR real estate with minimum set up, and the SPEED of her ina bauer was second to none in that exhibition. Sasha's ina bauer IMO did not cover the "entire rink" or "half of the rink" or "at most 1/3 - 1/2 rink", more like one eigth, and her speed was no where near 2 other ladies.

Well fortunately there is nothing written anywhere that an IB or spead eagle must go for miles. It, IMO, would depend on the music, the placement of the move, the point one is trying to make with the move whether it needs to, or choreographically should, be a long-held IB. I think they're lovely when they're held for a long time, but there's no hard and fast rule that says they have to be.

As for position, being from the old school of skating, of course I prefer the major arch in the back and leg position of someone like Sasha or Paul.

And, not to be picky, but Norlite forgot that a Bauer and Eagle both can be done on totally straight, no inside or outside. It requires more control, but they can be done.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    Did you want the "seconds" to be "minutes"?
    Why not? :D

Custom Title

Exclamation Sasha's Ina Bauer's are GORGEOUS!

Sasha has the best Ina Bauer in the business.
    Mmm Hmm! I agree Mathman!

I think everyone can agree on: Sasha has the best Ina Bauer in the business.
    Paul Wylie has the best... hands down... also Lucinda Ruh and Josée Chouinard

Custom Title
    Oh there is some revision, so Sasha's Ina did not cover the entire rink? I too must revise my earlier post, Sasha covered probably 1/4 to 1/3 rink. Yukina held the ina for a couple of seconds longer than Sasha

I watched the world exhibitions again, all 5 ladies performed IB, I love Fumie's the best. Whether the rule books said IB should be held for minutes instead of seconds or seconds instead of minutes. Fumie's IB was choreographed at the right place, there was freedom. She was so ethereal.

Off topic from IB, I love Fumie's costume for the Sanctus program. When she stroked and IB through the ice there was this wind on her hair, and skirt sailing feeling, there was so much joy in her motion.
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-06-2003 at 04:57 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Yukina is a very lovely skater...I like her ina the best because of the arch of the back and the leg position being held perpendicular to the ice...it looks controlled and yet still pretty...

Custom Title
    Is it written in the rule book that an ina is more difficult with the legs are further apart?

Just intuitively if we look at the physics of it, the wider the stance the lower the center of gravity, and the more difficult it is to stumble.

Kemy ITA that Yukina's ina bauer is the most beautiful

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Ina Bauer questions

Mathman:

The Ina Bauer was one of Karen Magnussens' "signature" moves. She did a fantastic one.

Yes, it requires a great amount of flexibility and control. Sashas' is exquisite due to her amazing flexibility.

I could never quite master it. I did a great outside spread eagle though.

* A variation of the spread eagle variant where one knee is deeply bent and the other leg stretched behind the body.
    Typically done with an arched back.

Here is a picture of the skater who invented the move:

1962 - Ina Bauer

Did you ever wonder where the Ina Bauer move originated? Well, it was invented by this beautiful, 3-time German champion.

Tripping on the Podium
    I just watched Yukina's again...wow

Her position is beautiful AND she switches to an inside edge ina...very lovely...and she goe sinto a spread eagle...definite edge control

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I just had to come back to this thread.
    I agree. I also just watched the encore from the jr. worlds exhibition where she skated the last part of her long program. That Ina Bauer is just breath taking. Besides the flexibility of her back there's also the way she does the particular move...there's so much tension, and the ina-spreadeagle-spiral sequence perfectly inteprets the music and brings the program to a wonderful end. She's so musical.

Custom Title

Re: Ina Bauer questions

Originally posted by Ladskater
    Mathman:

The Ina Bauer was one of Karen Magnussens' "signature" moves. She did a fantastic one.

Yes, it requires a great amount of flexibility and control. Sashas' is exquisite due to her amazing flexibility.

I could never quite master it. I did a great outside spread eagle though.

* A variation of the spread eagle variant where one knee is deeply bent and the other leg stretched behind the body.
    Typically done with an arched back.

Here's another beautiful "Ina," talk about an arched back.. Enjoy!
    http://www.sashafans.com/media/galle.../practice7.jpg

On the Ice
    I love Sasha's back position and deep plunge with her bent leg. However, Paul Wylie's Ina Bauers have always struck me as powerful and loaded with emotion, the best use of the move for me.

That's a great Sasha picture, Registered. It hurts my back just looking at it!

Mathman

Custom Title
    Originally posted by toutestgrace
    I love Sasha's back position and deep plunge with her bent leg. However, Paul Wylie's Ina Bauers have always struck me as powerful and loaded with emotion, the best use of the move for me.
    Here ya go, "toutestgrace":

http://members.aol.com/birdsrus1/cousins1/moment.gif

On the Ice
    Is there a link to a video of Yukina's program?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast