Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breaking it down: The New Scoring System

Custom Title
    Gusmeroli will be returning this season, making her comeback at the Trophee Lalique

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Paula ... I just want to say thankyou. This is very informative. I like having it broken down into parts like this. I actually think I might be starting to understand it! LOL

Norma

Just so it's clear, I gathered this information from various resources. I did not write it. I posted it so people can refer to it during the skating season. I will try to add more if I can. Thanks!

The more I look over these categories, the more it seems to me that the judges will still be able to make sure that the skaters come out in the order that they want, regardless of the details on technical elements. For instance, under the category "Skating Skills" we have the subcategories

Overall skating ability
    Multi-directional skating
    Speed and power
    Cleanness and sureness of edges
    Glide and flow
    Depth and quality of edges.

In other words, whoever you think is the best skater, you give them the highest score. Since a total of 50 points can be earned in these "soft" (non-quantified) categories, the difference in these scores could overwhelm the differences in tech marks.

I'm not complaining. I think this is a good thing. Comparing Michelle's Worlds LP to Elena Sokolova's, for instance, Sokolova would rack up more technical points (a triple-triple, plus a seven triple performance), but Michelle's superior "Skating Skills" as listed above would carry the day handily. This in fact is what did happen: Sokolova got higher technical marks from the judges, while Kwan ranked higher on presentation.

By the same token Sasha could overcome a couple of technical mistakes by scoring well in the non-quantified areas of skating -- and this is equaly true whether we are talking about the CoP or the "old" technical/presentation 6.0 system.

Overall, we might not see much of a difference in the final standings. But if the ISU intends to publish the points awarded for each element to each skater, as they recently did for the Nebelhorn trophy, that is fantastic. This will give us all kinds of data to analyze, nitpick about, and grouse over after every competition, besides just the generic "we wuz robbed." I can hardly wait.

Mathman

Mathman, if you check out the Nebelhorn thread and plug into the results, there is no way you can find out who the seven(?) judges were and how exactly did they mark each skater.

While we have overall more information, we do not know the judges individual scoes which we knew in the old system. When we could then say the judge from the Kingom of Bulova is an idiot. His scores are way out of line and keep him in mind for future events.

If we take a skating skill, eg. .80 base and see Judge A gives 2.2 while Judge B gives 0.9 - Quite a difference! but we will never know that.

You've got to remember, it's Speedy's wish to keep the public from knowing too much about the individual judges. This is not a conspiracy theory, this is fact. Enough good people joined a splinter group because of it.

Joe

Joe, I agree, and I think that the ISU is being very shrewd by giving out all these statistics for us to chew on. This deflects our attention from the effort to get the ISU seriously to address the issue of corruption and deal-making on the part of some judges and their federations.

I think that Speedy is dead wrong in maintaining all this cloak and dagger secrecy. This creates a situation in which everybody thinks that cheating is going on, even when it isn't. This is very bad for the sport, and has/will cause lots of prospective fans not to take ice skating seriously.

In baseball, the umpire calls the balls and strikes as he sees them, right out in the open. Sometimes he makes a mistake. Especially in the age of instant replays, his competance or lack of it is right out there for everyone to see, just like the players'. Same with football, hockey -- almost any sport you can think of, except those sports like gymnastics, diving, etc., where all we get to see at the end of the performance is a single number -- I won, you lost, too bad. This makes for a very unsatisfactory experience for the fans -- and remember, the fans pay the bills.

Mathman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2