Breaking it down: The New Scoring System | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Breaking it down: The New Scoring System

Joe, I agree, and I think that the ISU is being very shrewd by giving out all these statistics for us to chew on. This deflects our attention from the effort to get the ISU seriously to address the issue of corruption and deal-making on the part of some judges and their federations.

I think that Speedy is dead wrong in maintaining all this cloak and dagger secrecy. This creates a situation in which everybody thinks that cheating is going on, even when it isn't. This is very bad for the sport, and has/will cause lots of prospective fans not to take ice skating seriously.

In baseball, the umpire calls the balls and strikes as he sees them, right out in the open. Sometimes he makes a mistake. Especially in the age of instant replays, his competance or lack of it is right out there for everyone to see, just like the players'. Same with football, hockey -- almost any sport you can think of, except those sports like gymnastics, diving, etc., where all we get to see at the end of the performance is a single number -- I won, you lost, too bad. This makes for a very unsatisfactory experience for the fans -- and remember, the fans pay the bills.

Mathman