Why does Caroline Zhang bore some people? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why does Caroline Zhang bore some people?

jimreuter

Rinkside
I am one of the fortunate ones who live in the LA area and get to see Caroline skate in practice frequently. It always makes my day.

If you don't like her, be glad you live somewhere else and don't have to watch her all the time.

But if you are like me, you are happy that you don't have to wait for Nationals to see her exceptional skating, and enjoy her personality.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To each his own, I guess. She doesn't bore me! We got to see her at Skate America last year, and thought she was terrific. She got three standing ovations from us there - for her SP, free skate, and exhibition.

Wishing Caroline and everyone a great season! :biggrin: ;)

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Caroline's skating is highy styalized in her movements and positions, much like ballet. I personally prefer a more natural, modern style of movement, which makes me prefer other skaters over Caroline and find her in general to be boring to watch. Her iffy edging and jump technique don't help either, although she does appear to have a great work ethic and be trying really hard to improve on her weaknesses which I do respect, but I'd still rather not watch her skate.

passion

On the Ice
To each his own, I guess. She doesn't bore me! We got to see her at Skate America last year, and thought she was terrific. She got three standing ovations from us there - for her SP, free skate, and exhibition.

Wishing Caroline and everyone a great season! :biggrin: ;)

If she got three standing ovarions, that means that the majority of people do in fact like her, right?

passion

On the Ice
Caroline's skating is highy styalized in her movements and positions, much like ballet. I personally prefer a more natural, modern style of movement, which makes me prefer other skaters over Caroline and find her in general to be boring to watch. Her iffy edging and jump technique don't help either, although she does appear to have a great work ethic and be trying really hard to improve on her weaknesses which I do respect, but I'd still rather not watch her skate.

You refer to ballet and a more natural, modern style of movement. My critique of ballet has always been it's rigidity of the upper body. Yes, it teaches good posture, but that same posture can lead to rigidity of movement in skating. Do you think ballet training off ice and ballet styled movements in programs should be thrown out the window?

nubka

Final Flight
If she got three standing ovarions, that means that the majority of people do in fact like her, right?

No. It just mean the majority doesn't have any taste...

Just joking, just joking, I swear !!! (I wish I could use smilies, but for some reason, they never work for me here...)

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty

Well, perhaps it means that the majority of the type of people who go to those comps like her? Or maybe that she is more impressive live than on TV? Because I've never seen her live, but I hate her skating when I watch it on TV, it looks very small and very slow and very weak, with little personality. More likely, the people giving the standing O's for Miss Zhang are just impressed by her spin/spiral positions, which are quite flashy, and maybe also because despite the fact that her jumps are ugly, she does tend to land most of them. People equate not falling with great skating sometimes. At any rate, I don't think she's great, not yet. She has too many areas that she needs to improve on before I will put her in the great category.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Caroline Zhang and do enjoy her skating very much, but there are negatives. She IS slow and her ice coverage and stroking are not where they should be. While her trademark spins and spiral are exceptional and in a class of their own, her jumps are not anywhere near at the same level. It's not just the technical aspects of the jumps themselves, it just that when she skates, she appears to be working very carefully and deliberately to set up and land each jump---the jumps are not free and easy and they are not woven seamlessly into the fabric of her program.

Caroline's music choices are too all-of-a-kind, and she doesn't appear to have much connection with her music, and doesn't show much interpretive skill. This is partly due to her young age, but I also think it is because her mind is preoccupied with landing jumps rather than working with the music.

Caroline has a sparkling personality and I'd like to see it out there on the ice. We may have to wait a year or more though, while she works through her technical issues and starts paying more attention to presentation. I do think an exceptional skater is in the making---we just have to be patient.

Well, perhaps it means that the majority of the type of people who go to those comps like her?
Actually, I think the majority of people who go to Skate America are pretty typical of U.S. fans who follow the sport in general. To me, "boring" is the last thing I would say about Caroline Zhang's skating. I find her performances completely engrossing.

This is, of course, a much different question from whether she has technical issues that need addressing. (Just my opinion.)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I'm not a huge fan of ladiezzzzzzzz to begin with.
Caroline? She looks like she's 12, she talks and acts like she's 10 (at least on TV, I've never met her in person), and I just don't happen to think it's cute.

I loved her 'Ave Maria' though. I expect more programs like that from her in the future.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
She has wonderful spin positions (probably one of the best laybacks in the history of figure skating), beautiful carriage, eye popping flexibility. So, why are some posters bored when they watch her?

I guess I must have missed this skater somewhere along the way; however, I just viewed some of her programs on Youtube and I don't find her boring to watch at all. She looks like another Sasha Cohen type skater to me - very flexible. She is young and that is probably why she sticks to the same type of music; once she matures her skating will take on a whole new look. I am sure Caroline is another US lady to watch in the next couple of years. Don't complain, we would welcome a Caroline Zhang on the ladies category of the Canadian team!

:agree:

heyang

Record Breaker
She's young and developing - just as Mirai, Rachel and the other young ones.

She does have to work on speed. I've noticed that she's even slower when she's nervous. So, she needs to work on her nerves to improve her skating speed and expression.

This is in direct contrast to Mirai's enthusiasm and speed.

Personally, I find Rachel Flatt and Ashley Wagner to be less interesting to watch, but that's just my personal and humble opinion. I also don't feel the emoting from Kimmie or Emily - they both put out a feeling of steely determination in their skating.

I do think the days of 'free' performance has taken a hit from COP. The skaters have to concentrate so much on counting spins and how many seconds to hold a position that it doesn't provide them much room to just 'feel' the music.

Personally, one of the things that made me a Kwan fan was her 'joy' on the ice when she was an up and comer. The only time you really see that anymore is when someone is Not the favorite.

Here's an ice network interview with Caroline and Mirai.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dW6Ty_r4A&feature=related

As for Mirai's fitness, it is the beginning of the season and none of the skaters are in their top form, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I find Rachel Flatt and Ashley Wagner to be less interesting to watch, but that's just my personal and humble opinion. I also don't feel the emoting from Kimmie or Emily - they both put out a feeling of steely determination in their skating.

Personally, one of the things that made me a Kwan fan was her 'joy' on the ice when she was an up and comer. The only time you really see that anymore is when someone is Not the favorite.

You haven't watched Rachael's face when she skates----the joy just radiates. This young lady really feels her music and she expresses it so well, with her entire body.

feraina

Record Breaker
I love Caroline's skating, and I find her a sweet girl in person. And of course I find her anything but "boring."

I think she's a precocious teenager in an awkward phase of life. She comes across more self-conscious in interviews now than when she was younger, and one day soon she will probably outgrow it. Just think back to how you all were at 14/15. I know that I was having a hard time figuring out who I was/wanted to be -- and I've really changed since then. So I would not judge the personality or musical taste of someone as young as Caroline as anything more than "in transition."

Of course she has many technical issues to work through. But she has great work ethics, a dedicated coach, and a supportive family. So she's in a good position to improve on them.

I don't know how anyone who's seen her exhibition programs can say that she doesn't relate to her music. To me, she relates more to music than anyone else since Michelle Kwan. But that's just my opinion.

I hope my eye-witness report of her skates at GW competition didn't help fan the expectations that she's "much faster" than in the past. I believe what I said was, in response to someone's question regarding speed, that she seemed faster but as it was my first time watching her live, I didn't have a very good basis against which to compare. Mostly, I thought that she carried herself and moved in a more mature way, and that I especially luuuuurved her SP music/choreography, and I was very impressed by her jump consistency. Not much progress on the flutz, high-kick flip entry, or slow 2A entry, but her 3S looked pretty good, so she's definitely planning on a 7-triple LP. Oh, and the SP step sequence drew loud applause. I think her 180+ score speaks for herself, just how prepared she is at this early juncture of the season.

Good luck to my favorite skater in the new season. :clap:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well, perhaps it means that the majority of the type of people who go to those comps like her? Or maybe that she is more impressive live than on TV? Because I've never seen her live, but I hate her skating when I watch it on TV, it looks very small and very slow and very weak, with little personality. More likely, the people giving the standing O's for Miss Zhang are just impressed by her spin/spiral positions, which are quite flashy, and maybe also because despite the fact that her jumps are ugly, she does tend to land most of them. People equate not falling with great skating sometimes. At any rate, I don't think she's great, not yet. She has too many areas that she needs to improve on before I will put her in the great category.

Please give people who like Caroline's skating and find her not boring some credit, and we get it you just don't find Caroline's skating boring you hate her skating.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
As other posters have already stated, the simple answer is that some people do not appreciate Caroline's style of skating. Isn't it always this way? No matter how decorated a skater may become (i.e. Michelle Kwan) there are still those who call their skating boring.

I think Caroline is a lovely, talented skater. Unfortunately for her, there are so many equally talented U.S. ladies all reaching for the top two spots. It will be an exciting year.

Dizzy

skatesindreams

Rinkside
I am one of the fortunate ones who live in the LA area and get to see Caroline skate in practice frequently. It always makes my day.

If you don't like her, be glad you live somewhere else and don't have to watch her all the time.

But if you are like me, you are happy that you don't have to wait for Nationals to see her exceptional skating, and enjoy her personality.

I envy you!

Caroline, boring? Never!

As others have said, she is still very young and new to the Senior International scene. Her body, and her technical skills are maturing. She has unique artistic gifts, and I look forward to watching her continued growth.

Recent reports are good; so I believe patience is indicated, and will be rewarded.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
To everyone who thinks Caroline is boring ........................

................her Ave Maria LP at Nationals had people bored to tears. :unsure:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I'm not a huge fan of ladiezzzzzzzz to begin with.
Caroline? She looks like she's 12, she talks and acts like she's 10 (at least on TV, I've never met her in person), and I just don't happen to think it's cute.

I agree, and that was a definite turn-off for me. Sometimes, I can come to like a skater for their off-ice personality and behavior even if their skating isn't really to my liking. Take Kimmie Meissner, I wasn't a big fan at first but her graciousness and humility really won me over. On the other hand, there is Sasha Cohen. Stylistically, she's better than Kimmie (though her jumps were never consistent), but her attitude really turned me off. She came a cross as very stuck up and brash and immature in her first few years as a senior competitor, and I've never been able to warm to her since then. Caroline is going in that direction.

Oh, and demarinis5, I never said I hated her skating, so don't put words in my mouth, okay? Just because you adore her doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't find her completely entralling HATES her skating. Fans like you are another reason that I dislike Zhang, you all get way too offended if people don't fall to their knees and worship her. Caroline has good points to her skating, her spin and spiral positions are outstanding. It just isn't enough to make me a fan. Doesn't mean I'm hating on anyone/anything.

Last edited: