Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Opening Ceremonies

Custom Title
    Originally posted by SkateFan4Life
    Of course you can mention Sasha Cohen's antics - but is that the only Olympic opening ceremony memory you all have?????
    Well, actually I remember a guy (speed skater?) carrying Sahsa on his shoulders at the Closing ceremony...

Oops, that also falls into "Sasha Cohen antics" category.

SkateFan4Life
    I enjoyed the Suma wrestling exhibition at the Nagano opening ceremonies.

A number of spectators at that opening ceremony spoke with the television commentators. Many had spent huge sums of money to purchase expensive seats. They seemed to be thrilled to be the Olympics, and they gave a generous amount of applause to all of the athletes.

Of course you can mention Sasha Cohen's antics - but is that the only Olympic opening ceremony memory you all have?????
    No, it isn't (who said it was, anyway?). Next question, please.

SkateFan4Life
    The reason why I asked if memories of Sasha Cohen were the only memories you nice people have is simply because that's the only thing you wrote about. Nothing more, nothing less.

Any more memories?

Custom Title
    I enjoyed the Suma wrestling exhibition at the Nagano opening ceremonies.

A number of spectators at that opening ceremony spoke with the television commentators. Many had spent huge sums of money to purchase expensive seats. They seemed to be thrilled to be the Olympics, and they gave a generous amount of applause to all of the athletes.
    Yes, I remember that too. They gave a lot of respect to this Hawaiian born wrestler (sorry, name escapes me). I believe he retired from the sport soon after the Nagano Olympics.

Oh, I think his name was Akibono.

SkateFan4Life
    Yes, I think his name was Akibono. He seemed like such a nice, sweet guy during his television interviews. I got a chuckle out of seeing him pose for photos with Tara Lipinski - just a little variance in their sizes!

Tara had a blast at the Olympics. Aside from winning the gold medal, which was the ultimate "blast", she attended many of the events, made numerous new friends, and soaked in the great atmosphere.

Custom Title

Tara had a blast at the Olympics. Aside from winning the gold medal, which was the ultimate "blast", she attended many of the events, made numerous new friends, and soaked in the great atmosphere.
    Yep, Tara really seemed relaxed and enjoying an entire experience. She later said in the interview, that she really planned to embrace the atmosphere of the Olympics, so if she didn't medal, at least she'll have great memories.

SkateFan4Life
    I think it's a little sad that many of the pairs skaters miss the Olympic opening ceremonies, since the pairs short program is the first of the figure skating events. It has to be an incredible experience to walk into the stadium with your team and to soak in the atmosphere.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by windspirit
    No, it isn't (who said it was, anyway?). Next question, please.
    It was fluff side line stuff, not part of the real Olympics opening or closing.

Can we have a moratorium on picking on Sasha?

(Of course, if she messes up in the Campbell Soup Bowl, then it's open season again, LOL.)

Mathman

Custom Title
    Originally posted by registered
    To those of us who happen to think that it was one of the lighthearted, funny and unplanned moments at the opening ceremony -- why shouldn't we mention it?
    I thought it was cute and I probably would have done the same thing, lol. Didn't Sasha say President Bush was really nice about it?

I was sitting there in the stadium that night taking pictures and talking on my cell phone to my dad who couldn't make it out there. :( We had planned on going to Calgary in '88 but didn't have the money and in '02 he had work that prevented him from making it to SLC. I wanted to be connected to him that night since it was a dream come true to finally be at a Winter Games Opening Ceremonies. He watched on TV and listened to it live from my cell phone. It was an awesome experience and I'll never forget it. Because I was there I think it was the best opening ever! :D

Custom Title
    I think ANYONE on a cell phone at the opening ceremonies was exhibiting bad taste. Come ON! It's bad enough being bumped into in the supermarket or on the street by a clueless cell phone addict! Representing one's country at the Olympics and participating in the opening ceremonies has to be one of the highest honors an athlete could ever have. Cell phones should have been turned off and put away for use AFTER the ceremony.

Custom Title
    It is one thing for an OBSERVER at the ceremony to be on a cell phone, quite another thing for a PARTICIPANT!

...I guess not.

Custom Title
    My criticism of the use of cell phones by athletes participating in the Olympic ceremonies was directed at ALL the athletes on cell phones, not at one athlete in particular.

Would you think it OK if you went to the theater, and bit-part actors on stage who didn't have lines whipped out their cell phones and chatted away? (Assuming of course that it wasn't part of the scene).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast