Olympic Opening Ceremonies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic Opening Ceremonies

S

SkateFan4Life

Yes, I think his name was Akibono. He seemed like such a nice, sweet guy during his television interviews. I got a chuckle out of seeing him pose for photos with Tara Lipinski - just a little variance in their sizes!

Tara had a blast at the Olympics. Aside from winning the gold medal, which was the ultimate "blast", she attended many of the events, made numerous new friends, and soaked in the great atmosphere.

registered

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:

Tara had a blast at the Olympics. Aside from winning the gold medal, which was the ultimate "blast", she attended many of the events, made numerous new friends, and soaked in the great atmosphere.

Yep, Tara really seemed relaxed and enjoying an entire experience. She later said in the interview, that she really planned to embrace the atmosphere of the Olympics, so if she didn't medal, at least she'll have great memories.

S

SkateFan4Life

I think it's a little sad that many of the pairs skaters miss the Olympic opening ceremonies, since the pairs short program is the first of the figure skating events. It has to be an incredible experience to walk into the stadium with your team and to soak in the atmosphere.

rtureck

Final Flight
windspirit said:
No, it isn't (who said it was, anyway?). Next question, please. ;)

It was fluff side line stuff, not part of the real Olympics opening or closing.

Can we have a moratorium on picking on Sasha?

(Of course, if she messes up in the Campbell Soup Bowl, then it's open season again, LOL.)

Mathman

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
registered said:
To those of us who happen to think that it was one of the lighthearted, funny and unplanned moments at the opening ceremony -- why shouldn't we mention it?

I thought it was cute and I probably would have done the same thing, lol. Didn't Sasha say President Bush was really nice about it?

I was sitting there in the stadium that night taking pictures and talking on my cell phone to my dad who couldn't make it out there. :( We had planned on going to Calgary in '88 but didn't have the money and in '02 he had work that prevented him from making it to SLC. I wanted to be connected to him that night since it was a dream come true to finally be at a Winter Games Opening Ceremonies. He watched on TV and listened to it live from my cell phone. It was an awesome experience and I'll never forget it. Because I was there I think it was the best opening ever! :D

euterpe

Medalist
I think ANYONE on a cell phone at the opening ceremonies was exhibiting bad taste. Come ON! It's bad enough being bumped into in the supermarket or on the street by a clueless cell phone addict! Representing one's country at the Olympics and participating in the opening ceremonies has to be one of the highest honors an athlete could ever have. Cell phones should have been turned off and put away for use AFTER the ceremony.

euterpe

Medalist
It is one thing for an OBSERVER at the ceremony to be on a cell phone, quite another thing for a PARTICIPANT!

euterpe

Medalist
My criticism of the use of cell phones by athletes participating in the Olympic ceremonies was directed at ALL the athletes on cell phones, not at one athlete in particular.

Would you think it OK if you went to the theater, and bit-part actors on stage who didn't have lines whipped out their cell phones and chatted away? (Assuming of course that it wasn't part of the scene).

No, of course not. But help is on its way. Pretty soon we will all have implants in our heads that serve as telephones, cameras and walkie-talkies, as well as provide for short wave radio reception and transmission and a continuous internet portal. Technology marches on!

But seriously, I know what you mean about these cell phones. The worst are people chatting away while they are supposedly driving a car.

Mathman

Last edited:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
euterpe said:
I think ANYONE on a cell phone at the opening ceremonies was exhibiting bad taste. Come ON! It's bad enough being bumped into in the supermarket or on the street by a clueless cell phone addict! Representing one's country at the Olympics and participating in the opening ceremonies has to be one of the highest honors an athlete could ever have. Cell phones should have been turned off and put away for use AFTER the ceremony.

LOL Well I wasn't on it the entire time. :laugh: ( And it's not like the rest of the world wasn't on theirs as well.) It was exciting! We weren't supposed to sit there in complete silence, it wasn't a funeral or any other event that requires one to be quiet. Besides, there was no way to be talking the entire time, we had the flashlights, signs, flutes, and other stuff to do as part of the "audience participation package". :)

rtureck

Final Flight
Would you think it OK if you went to the theater

Definitely not.

Cell phone in public places is OK, afterall a lot of people carry cell phones for emergency purposes. I hate people yapping away in public places though. I was at the car dealer waiting for some work to be done, and some guy wouldn't stop chatting on his cell phone. If he really wants to talk, walk outside, don't yap away in the waiting room.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

It seems that this thread should be renamed "Pros and Cons of Chatting on the Cell Phone While in Public Places."

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people driving around this area while they're yakking on the cell phone. Talk about an accident waiting to happen. Every time I go to the supermarket or any shopping mall, there are dozens of people chatting away on their cell phones, most of whom are oblivious to everyone around them. How many times have I been bumped from behind by some idiot who was so engrossed with his/her cell phone conversation that he/she did not even see me walking directly in front with my shopping cart? Plenty of times.

Cell phones are fine for emergencies, and they are certainly fine for business and personal calls when a home, office, or public phone is either not around or not convenient. But they really seem to have become a permanent appendage to many of us.

This past summer while on the beach I overheard several very loud cell phone conversations - screaming matches, actually. Do we have to be subjected to this kind of crap when we're trying to enjoy a day at the beach? Can't people understand that it's just a little bit annoying to have to listen to conversations that would be better sent from home or the office? Do people consider the shopping mall, the theatre, the car, etc. to be an extension of their homes and offices? I guess so.

rtureck

Final Flight
This past summer while on the beach I overheard several very loud cell phone conversations - screaming matches, actually. Do we have to be subjected to this kind of crap when we're trying to enjoy a day at the beach? Can't people understand that it's just a little bit annoying to have to listen to conversations that would be better sent from home or the office?

ITA, it is annoying and impolite, sound pollution

Isa-krisa

Rinkside
Interesting...... I have many Olympic Ceremonies memories starting 1968 and very little of them have to do with America and US teams.

However, Sasha handing the telephone to the President, is the most pleasant one I have of American participation.

Sasha is a darling with a spunk!!

euterpe

Medalist
It seems to me it is the height of discourtesy and impropriety to be chatting on a cell phone in the presence of the President of one's country. It is certainly not an action to be admired or praised.

ENOUGH SAID!

Isa-krisa

Rinkside
euterpe said:
It seems to me it is the height of discourtesy and impropriety to be chatting on a cell phone in the presence of the President of one's country. It is certainly not an action to be admired or praised.

ENOUGH SAID!

Would you like to make your opinion a law? a subject of a Sunday ceremon?

Yo don't think it's right to hand the phone? well, then YOU don't hand him you telephone.

Plus........... I doubt he'll visit your church choire.

S

SkateFan4Life

Isa-krisa writes:
Would you like to make your opinion a law? a subject of a Sunday ceremon?

Yo don't think it's right to hand the phone? well, then YOU don't hand him you telephone.

Plus........... I doubt he'll visit your church choire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a totally rude, inappropriate post. I would report this to the moderator, but I'm not about to bother contacting the person who wrote this. This is simply juvenile, and it does not belong on this wonderful message board.

My two cents, of course.
SkateFan4Life

rtureck

Final Flight
I am a fan of West Wing, and the plot is developed into the president's daughter being kidnapped. This got me thinking about security issues.

I am sure the POTUS got a visit from his security people afterwards about taking a cell phone (an object that wasn't pre screened by the security guys).

OTOH, it make sense too, if this side line stuff was not spontaneous, but planned. Maybe the security guys had a chance to screen the cell phone ahead of time:eek:

Last edited: