Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Opening Ceremonies

No, of course not. But help is on its way. Pretty soon we will all have implants in our heads that serve as telephones, cameras and walkie-talkies, as well as provide for short wave radio reception and transmission and a continuous internet portal. Technology marches on!

But seriously, I know what you mean about these cell phones. The worst are people chatting away while they are supposedly driving a car.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-16-2003 at 11:48 AM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by euterpe
    I think ANYONE on a cell phone at the opening ceremonies was exhibiting bad taste. Come ON! It's bad enough being bumped into in the supermarket or on the street by a clueless cell phone addict! Representing one's country at the Olympics and participating in the opening ceremonies has to be one of the highest honors an athlete could ever have. Cell phones should have been turned off and put away for use AFTER the ceremony.
    LOL Well I wasn't on it the entire time. ( And it's not like the rest of the world wasn't on theirs as well.) It was exciting! We weren't supposed to sit there in complete silence, it wasn't a funeral or any other event that requires one to be quiet. Besides, there was no way to be talking the entire time, we had the flashlights, signs, flutes, and other stuff to do as part of the "audience participation package".

Custom Title
    Would you think it OK if you went to the theater
    Definitely not.

Cell phone in public places is OK, afterall a lot of people carry cell phones for emergency purposes. I hate people yapping away in public places though. I was at the car dealer waiting for some work to be done, and some guy wouldn't stop chatting on his cell phone. If he really wants to talk, walk outside, don't yap away in the waiting room.
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-11-2003 at 10:40 PM.

SkateFan4Life
    It seems that this thread should be renamed "Pros and Cons of Chatting on the Cell Phone While in Public Places."

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people driving around this area while they're yakking on the cell phone. Talk about an accident waiting to happen. Every time I go to the supermarket or any shopping mall, there are dozens of people chatting away on their cell phones, most of whom are oblivious to everyone around them. How many times have I been bumped from behind by some idiot who was so engrossed with his/her cell phone conversation that he/she did not even see me walking directly in front with my shopping cart? Plenty of times.

Cell phones are fine for emergencies, and they are certainly fine for business and personal calls when a home, office, or public phone is either not around or not convenient. But they really seem to have become a permanent appendage to many of us.

This past summer while on the beach I overheard several very loud cell phone conversations - screaming matches, actually. Do we have to be subjected to this kind of crap when we're trying to enjoy a day at the beach? Can't people understand that it's just a little bit annoying to have to listen to conversations that would be better sent from home or the office? Do people consider the shopping mall, the theatre, the car, etc. to be an extension of their homes and offices? I guess so.

Custom Title
    This past summer while on the beach I overheard several very loud cell phone conversations - screaming matches, actually. Do we have to be subjected to this kind of crap when we're trying to enjoy a day at the beach? Can't people understand that it's just a little bit annoying to have to listen to conversations that would be better sent from home or the office?
    ITA, it is annoying and impolite, sound pollution

Rinkside
    Interesting...... I have many Olympic Ceremonies memories starting 1968 and very little of them have to do with America and US teams.

However, Sasha handing the telephone to the President, is the most pleasant one I have of American participation.

Sasha is a darling with a spunk!!

Custom Title
    It seems to me it is the height of discourtesy and impropriety to be chatting on a cell phone in the presence of the President of one's country. It is certainly not an action to be admired or praised.

ENOUGH SAID!

Rinkside
    It seems to me it is the height of discourtesy and impropriety to be chatting on a cell phone in the presence of the President of one's country. It is certainly not an action to be admired or praised.

ENOUGH SAID!

Would you like to make your opinion a law? a subject of a Sunday ceremon?

Yo don't think it's right to hand the phone? well, then YOU don't hand him you telephone.

Plus........... I doubt he'll visit your church choire.

SkateFan4Life
    Isa-krisa writes:
    Would you like to make your opinion a law? a subject of a Sunday ceremon?

Yo don't think it's right to hand the phone? well, then YOU don't hand him you telephone.

Plus........... I doubt he'll visit your church choire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a totally rude, inappropriate post. I would report this to the moderator, but I'm not about to bother contacting the person who wrote this. This is simply juvenile, and it does not belong on this wonderful message board.

My two cents, of course.
    SkateFan4Life

Custom Title
    I am a fan of West Wing, and the plot is developed into the president's daughter being kidnapped. This got me thinking about security issues.

I am sure the POTUS got a visit from his security people afterwards about taking a cell phone (an object that wasn't pre screened by the security guys).

OTOH, it make sense too, if this side line stuff was not spontaneous, but planned. Maybe the security guys had a chance to screen the cell phone ahead of time
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-15-2003 at 09:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by rtureck
    I am a fan of West Wing, and the plot is developed into the president's daughter being kidnapped. This got me thinking about security issues.

I am sure the POTUS got a visit from his security people afterwards about taking a cell phone (an object that wasn't pre screened by the security guys).

OTOH, it make sense too, if this side line stuff was not spontaneous, but planned.
    All athletes and spectators were screened before entering the stadium. My cell phone had to be turned on and proved that it was indeed a cell phone before they let me pass. Same with my digital camera (can't tell you how many pics I have of military boots because they always asked to take a pic and for some reason always aimed it downwards, lol). All equipment that passed through the gates, be those gates for the public or for participants, was examined. Security was extremely tight that night. IIRC, anyone seated around the President had gone through extra security and had been told in advance he would be there.

Custom Title
    Ah... so it wasn't as spontaneous as I thought.

Medalist
    I as an american found the tattered flag at the Olympics to be out of place. I have never and I may be wrong, seen a nation do such a thing! It was wrong and out of place.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Especially so soon after 9/11, I have trouble believing that someone just happened to find themselves next to the president at a crouded public event, whips out an instrument and can thrust it at him without being tackled by 50 secret service men. I think it was about as spontaneous as those "comedy" pieces co-presenters do at award shows.

The Olys are supose to be non-political. They are instead almost always uber-political. The US flag that was attacked by another nation: non-political? Not! Shamlessly inapproroiate.

Custom Title

ENOUGH SAID!
    This is way too severe, Euterpe. Myself, being a mother, I can totally understand a teenager's excitement of finding out herself sitting next to the president! "Mom, guess what... Don't believe me? Here ya go!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast