Power skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Power skating?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
By turning pro has not lessened Ilia´s skating capabilities... That is why I mentioned him. He still has all his beautiful triple jumps and the power and the speed.

Marjaana

Joe,
You still not sure what power is? I'll answer any questions I wasn't clear about, but don't tell me you MISSED the giant Rgirl post on power skating on p1 of this thread?:eek:
Rgirl

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I heard that Ilia Kulik actually clocked in about 60 mph around the rink at times. He really was a power skater, IMO.

rGirl - I didn't miss your exclusive on p.1:D I skimmed over all your examples because I have my own opinions but I nodded on your description of power skating which I call good basics. It's just a question of terminology. Good basics, imo, implies power, stroking, and so much more. I would suggest as an example Dorothy Hammil (two m's or one?)

It's much too close to competitions and I wouldn't mentional a present day competitor. Tempers are already showing. :eek:

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, I'll agree with Joe and remain silent, but I believe I know where he's going. Power skating as defined by RGirl is great for variety, but I much prefer a Yamaguchi or Kwan. They both generated (and continue to) more than acceptable speed...and all the while maintained excellent position while stroking and gaining momentum. I love the skater that can make everything, including stroking, look deceptively simple.

Ooops....I forgot to remain silent! Always seems to be a problem with me!

Key words from post re some of my favorite power skaters: "...include but aren't limited to.":)

As I said (I know, it's an Rgirl-length post, but it's in there, lol), IMO the best power skaters make it look effortless.

Anyway, power is just one part of the many aspects of skating--obviously. There's always the "X" factor of how it all works together and also how a skater moves you--or not.

Zoom Zoom
Rgirl

PS VietGirlTerifa--re Ilia Kulik being clocked at 60mph skating around the rink, do you know how they measured it? I'm hung up on wondering if it's possible to measure skaters' speeds with a radar gun. Anybody know? Also, love your new name, though I think I got the caps wrong. Sorry, I can't see your post.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Ilia Kulik gains his power and speed out of nowhere and keeps it on really effortlessly as he flies over the ice.

I think the same is true for Volchkova and Abt. And to a lesser extent (speedwise), the Finnish women (Poykio, Drei, and Kettunen), who have such soft blades and who generate more speed than they are given credit for. They were the revelation for me at Euros last year, and one of the main reasons I'm skipping worlds this year and going to Budapest.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
hockeyfan228 said:
I think the same is true for Volchkova and Abt. And to a lesser extent (speedwise), the Finnish women (Poykio, Drei, and Kettunen), who have such soft blades and who generate more speed than they are given credit for. They were the revelation for me at Euros last year, and one of the main reasons I'm skipping worlds this year and going to Budapest.

Like Ilia Kulik has also Viktoria Volchova been coached by Kudriatshev. I also remember Kudriatshev mentioning in an interview that when he first saw Ilia´s skating (he was maybe about 8 or 10 at that time), his attention was caught by Ilia´s stroking ability.

Glad to hear that you like these Finnish lady skaters!

Marjaana

Last edited:
Hockeyfan - You mean I wont see you at Worlds 2004? :cry: Well, I hope you give us a report on Euros. Definitely want to kow how Lambiel and Costner hold up.

Joe