Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Power skating?

Re: Stroking

Originally posted by Brandenburg
    As several people have suggested here, for power skating look for power stroking first. Without that, the possibilities are very limited. The Russian approch to teaching stroking is clearly the gold standard here. Although I don't want to borrow their whole methodology, I would love it if US instructors (the people who teach children their basics) would use the Russian approach to stroking and give our young skaters a stronger start. Ilia Kulik answered a question of mine about this a year or two ago and did say that the Russian approach to teaching this basic skill was a bit different that ours. While he praised much that we did here, he did say that their approach to stroking (longer, stronger) was better for the developing skater.
    __________________________________________________ __

I'm a stickler for not going with a particular country as being the 'best'. If the Russian method of teaching stroking is the best than what happens to Nelidina? Sokolova?, and where are the others? Russia's best female skater, imo, is Irina although Vika does have excellent stroking.

Other international skaters with excellent stroking are Carolina, Yokina, Arakawa, Fumie, MK, Jenny, Sasha, Bebe, none of which use the Russian method if such a method exists.

IMO, beautiful skating has no nationality. Check out Sasha Abt, Stephane Lambiel, Matt Savoie, Jeffrey Buttle, and so many more.

Joe

POWER SKATING. I forgot. I'm not sure if we have come up with a definition. I do see it in SPEED skating. In FIGURE skating, my most vivid memory is watching Ms Witt huffing and puffing to skate faster and with accentuated cross overs to prove her power.

Sorry, it's not my cup of tea. For the Ladies, I prefer excellent stroking with speed in context with the music - A Giselle type of lady. for the men, similarly - A dashing Warrior or Prince type of guy.

I leave Power for those Short and Long Track guys and gals.

Joe

Custom Title

Re: Re: Stroking

Originally posted by Joesitz
    __________________________________________________ __

Other international skaters with excellent stroking are Carolina, Yokina, Arakawa, Fumie, MK, Jenny, Sasha, Bebe, none of which use the Russian method if such a method exists.

Joe
    Agree about the nationality comments. But I would remove Jenny, Sasha, (not sure of Uokina and Bebe since I did not watch her so much and compare her with other elite on stroking) add Sarah in this group.

Custom Title
    Ilia Kulik gains his power and speed out of nowhere and keeps it on really effortlessly as he flies over the ice. That is evident even on TV, but of course it is even better live. The effortless looking speed and jumping were the things I noticed at once in his skating as I saw it for the first time in 1995.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-14-2003 at 08:43 AM.

Ilia is a fine skater with excellent stroking and power, although I am not exactly sure what power is.

But Jaana, I was just listing 'eligible' skaters - not pros.

Joe

Custom Title
    By turning pro has not lessened Ilia´s skating capabilities... That is why I mentioned him. He still has all his beautiful triple jumps and the power and the speed.

Marjaana

Custom Woman
    Joe,
    You still not sure what power is? I'll answer any questions I wasn't clear about, but don't tell me you MISSED the giant Rgirl post on power skating on p1 of this thread?
    Rgirl

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I heard that Ilia Kulik actually clocked in about 60 mph around the rink at times. He really was a power skater, IMO.

rGirl - I didn't miss your exclusive on p.1:D I skimmed over all your examples because I have my own opinions but I nodded on your description of power skating which I call good basics. It's just a question of terminology. Good basics, imo, implies power, stroking, and so much more. I would suggest as an example Dorothy Hammil (two m's or one?)

It's much too close to competitions and I wouldn't mentional a present day competitor. Tempers are already showing.

Joe

Custom Title
    LOL, I'll agree with Joe and remain silent, but I believe I know where he's going. Power skating as defined by RGirl is great for variety, but I much prefer a Yamaguchi or Kwan. They both generated (and continue to) more than acceptable speed...and all the while maintained excellent position while stroking and gaining momentum. I love the skater that can make everything, including stroking, look deceptively simple.

Ooops....I forgot to remain silent! Always seems to be a problem with me!

Custom Woman
    Key words from post re some of my favorite power skaters: "...include but aren't limited to."

As I said (I know, it's an Rgirl-length post, but it's in there, lol), IMO the best power skaters make it look effortless.

Anyway, power is just one part of the many aspects of skating--obviously. There's always the "X" factor of how it all works together and also how a skater moves you--or not.

Zoom Zoom
    Rgirl

PS VietGirlTerifa--re Ilia Kulik being clocked at 60mph skating around the rink, do you know how they measured it? I'm hung up on wondering if it's possible to measure skaters' speeds with a radar gun. Anybody know? Also, love your new name, though I think I got the caps wrong. Sorry, I can't see your post.
    Last edited by Rgirl; 09-19-2003 at 03:34 PM.

Go NJ Devils
    Originally posted by Jaana
    Ilia Kulik gains his power and speed out of nowhere and keeps it on really effortlessly as he flies over the ice.
    I think the same is true for Volchkova and Abt. And to a lesser extent (speedwise), the Finnish women (Poykio, Drei, and Kettunen), who have such soft blades and who generate more speed than they are given credit for. They were the revelation for me at Euros last year, and one of the main reasons I'm skipping worlds this year and going to Budapest.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by hockeyfan228
    I think the same is true for Volchkova and Abt. And to a lesser extent (speedwise), the Finnish women (Poykio, Drei, and Kettunen), who have such soft blades and who generate more speed than they are given credit for. They were the revelation for me at Euros last year, and one of the main reasons I'm skipping worlds this year and going to Budapest.
    Like Ilia Kulik has also Viktoria Volchova been coached by Kudriatshev. I also remember Kudriatshev mentioning in an interview that when he first saw Ilia´s skating (he was maybe about 8 or 10 at that time), his attention was caught by Ilia´s stroking ability.

Glad to hear that you like these Finnish lady skaters!

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-20-2003 at 03:18 AM.

Hockeyfan - You mean I wont see you at Worlds 2004? Well, I hope you give us a report on Euros. Definitely want to kow how Lambiel and Costner hold up.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2