Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YOWZA /OWZA Lessons & Practices 9/7 - 9/13

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Lanie - sorry to hear about your ankle, but glad your coach is warming to your music and will help you pull together a nice program.

hlagirl25 - welcome! We THOUGHT we saw someone lurking there in the shadows. Glad you've come out to join us. Good job on the outside/inside spiral. There are skaters at higher levels who struggle with it, so that's a great accomplishment. Sounds like you've made a lot of progress in two years, so keep on going on those half and single jumps! How are your spins? That is my weak point. I'm still trying to regain my centering skills.

YOWZA - Wednesday's skating session was just AWESOME for me. First, there were only two of us on the ice for the first 75 minutes, and then I was alone for the last 30! One of my goals for the session was to cover the ice better, and with no one to get in my way, I couldn't "cheat" and had to keep moving. Gosh, if thighs could spontaneously combust, you guys could've taken marshmallows and made s'mores! I worked hard on my first new (small) footwork sequence, trying to understand how it fits into my music and second to gain confidence with the RBI 3-turn/RFO bracket into a left back inner "loopy thing" into a twisty toe pick thing. My problem is that I can either get a GREAT speed going prior to these steps and then the evil bracket tries to SLAM me into the ice. Or I can slow the whole front end down and complete all of these moves ... and then find that I am about 1/3 down the ice of where I need to end so that I can do my 3 strong back crossovers into a lutz/RBO3/mohawk/salchow and still wind up in the opposite corner. Hmm ... speed v. control, control v. speed. I need BOTH!!! My jumps were "on" and I did a run-through of all the singles.

OWZA - I really was not liking my camel spin, whether alone or with a sit or camel/sit/back sit. I attempted my pathetic attitude spins, which look like a dog marking his territory. I DON'T think that's the look the judges are going for this year!

YOWZA - Today's practice was definitely a 10. Hubby came to videotape me, and I was able to nip some dog/hydrant/peeing attitude spins in the bud by watching the replay and then figuring out a better way to get my leg back there. I'm still riding up on the toe, but I think practice will make perfect. I practiced my 2sal take-offs (I'm supposed to "abort" the jump in mid-air), but on one of them I almost landed it and on another I SWEAR that I landed it (albeit cheated at least 1/4 turn) and it got me so excited that I couldn't calm down enough to do them again!!! We were on the big ice today, so I again worked at covering more ice with more speed. When everyone else plays their program music, it's all slow and ballet-like and flowy, and I come out there all dramatic and crashy and fast. My goal is to look as strong as my music sounds. My camel spins came to visit me today, and I was pleased with the camel/sit. The back sit still causes me trouble. My rump comes up in the air and my shoulders hunch over. Did anyone see Shrek? You know when the donkey (?) sings "I like big butts and I cannot lie" and shakes his butt around? Yep, that's it ... that's the look!

OWZA - nothing bad about the practice, but I leave for a business trip Monday which means that I have 9 days off the ice. Bummer. I'm going to practice off-ice jumping and work on my flexibility while I'm away.

I don't know if I'll be able to check in much, so I wish everyone fabulous skating for next week.

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    I found out that all these years I was picking with my free leg wrong. No wonder, I was hurting myself all these years. Colleen busted me for picking in wrong. I was placing my free leg into the ice with my toe pointing inward instead of outward and I was not bending my skating leg enough and not drawing my skating leg to my picking/free leg. Oh, what a difference. My toe loop is a happening jump again but better than ever before.

Also, my Samba Pa Ti freeskate is getting scrapped totally. Now I have to get my computer fixed and search for faster stuff to which to skate. I found Samba Pa Ti fast but I guess Silver isn't enough for Club Tecumseh. They want Gold.

Also found out that I was taking way to long to snap into my spins. Colleen wants me as soon as I hit my left outside edge to lean more left right away to hook the spin. I was taking too long to get the spin started. Not there yet but I can see it will come soon. speaking of almost, I was mostly jumping into toe loops and loops but one time forgot to jump and got a nice 1 and half revs on my backspin before I got out.

Oh, I almost did an old Jennifer Robinson. That is I almost hit the boards jumping. But it wasn't that I waited until I was practically on top of the boards, but that I did 7 jumps in a row/combo and the last one was super sloppy and got me very close to the boards. I was just a bit dizzy after that 7th jump in my combo. ROTFLOL

I was put into the fastest and more advanced stroking group. Stroking at Club Tecumseh is not just stroking but footwork, turns, presentation and moves. I was doing ok until we got to this pattern that had RFO3 and LFI3. It's weird, I can do the RFO3's when I a double RBI3 but any other way. No way. Plus, my LBx are horrible compared to my RBx which are smooth and powerful. Lots of work needed in everything left handed/clockwise.

Well, I'm just a little tired. Did work till 2pm, came home, did email, went to the rink and did stroking (see above) and then freeskating, then threw McD's down my throat, then 2 hours Youth Group, drove kids home and then watched movie with hubby and then came on the internet. I'm just a bit toasted now.

Nighty, night.

Brigitte

Skater Girl
    Today I just did lots of stroking. A little spinning, but mostly I worked on the edges and some turns and played with footwork ideas until my feet and ankle hurt. We're going to the Pickwick Arena in Los Angeles next weekend to check out how much new skates will cost. Anyway, it was uneventful and, honestly, boring, but I was proud of myself I didn't jump or spin too much because I'm too nervous about hurting myself!

On a totally different note, here is one of my senior portraits.

Lanie-nice senior portrait. My son is a senior this year too. He'll be taking his senior pictures in a few weeks.

Lanie - LOVE your pic. It's great to be able to put a face with your name. You're smart to take the skating slow, especially with your ankle and all. It's very important to get your solid stroking and edges in place--it will make everything easier when you start working on more of the elements. We can't wait to hear about your excursion next week to the Pickwick. Do you have some particular skates in mind?

Skater Girl
    Thanks about the pic. Heh. Some came out dreadful!

Well, I was thinking SP Teri, Graf or Harlick. I need something stiff enough, yet wide for my feet so they won't cause problems, and padded on the tongue and the ankle area. The wool on the tongue of my Jacksons are making nice big rashes!

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    Just ended a chat with Liz Putnum and Sean Wirtz. What nice kids!

In love with the axel!
    Originally posted by Lanie
    Thanks about the pic. Heh. Some came out dreadful!

Well, I was thinking SP Teri, Graf or Harlick. I need something stiff enough, yet wide for my feet so they won't cause problems, and padded on the tongue and the ankle area. The wool on the tongue of my Jacksons are making nice big rashes!
    Check out Klingbeils too - nice roomy toe boxes, nice padding in the ankle area - really hugs the heel. I absolutely love mine. (I agree - nice pic, too.)

As for me, same old test prep - got a nice compliment last week from a coach who had never seen me skate before. When she found out I was testing next weekend, she said I was more than ready. From her mouth to the judges' ears .

I have to share a really cute thing - I was in my stroking group yesterday when I experienced the click of death on fast back crossovers. Down I went, sliding about 20 feet backwards on my rump. Later on, a young girl (maybe 8 years old) came up to me looking all concerned and asked if that hurt. I said no (well, there is a nice bruise on my back end, but we have to be brave and all that). Then she broke into this huge grin and said "that looked like fun!" .

(I guess the sliding part WAS kind of fun ).

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Lanie: Lovely picture!!!

Hlagirl: Welcome to the board!!

1964: The "CLICK of death????" Love it!!!

Nothing to report aside from having a good time in Chicago.

Rinkside
    Cinderella:

I have spent so may practices working on centering my spin so that what ususally happens is I have great entrance, good centering, and then so so exits. I'm really trying to work on that. Currently my coach has me working on doing scratch spins with my arms held in fists above my head. I have really good back position in my sit spin the only problem is that I'm not "sitting" enough-but the centering is good. My camel is non-exsistant and when it does happen instead of a solid centering-it's more of three turns traveling all over the place. All in all I think things are progressing as fast as they can. I just can't wait to perfect things so that I can complete the choreography on my bronze program set to East of Eden by Lee Holdridge. Hopefully my coach and I can come up with some good moves. I would like more of a Michelle Kwan program with solid skating with highlight moves strategically placed. In short something clean and simple where I can showcase my flexibility and mastery of the test elements whereas my coach is more of a more is better type. Hopefully we can come to a meeting of minds! Tommorow is lesson day and I feel there's a strong back scratch and loop jump just waiting to be nailed.

Happy Skating!!!

hlagirl25 - Hey, I've got everything but the centering. Maybe we can somehow combine them to do some awesome spins! The one spin I seem to center without a problem is the flying camel. It is better than my camel or my backspin -- go figure!!! But the way you described your camel with the 3 turns is how I feel sometime about my spins too.

Good luck with the choreography -- I hope you'll keep us posted. It's very exciting to think that soon you'll be doing your Kwan-like program!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2