Favourite Carmen | Golden Skate

Favourite Carmen

I

icenut84

Favourite Carmen

Which routine (not neccesarily performance) was your favourite? (If other - as there are numerous I don't have space for - please state).

L

lilicedancer

Re: Favourite Carmen

I really liked Lang/Tchernyshev's Carmen OD last year.

S

SHINE2002

definitely K/O's 98 free dance. one of the most underrated program of all time.

S

sk8m8

Debbi Thomas', loved her total package of this one. I always hated that after she lost the olympics to K Witt that her skating was marked down because she wasn't Katerina. She was one of the most inventive and beautiful skaters of her time. Truely a shame what "losing" the Olympics can do if you have to stand in the shadow of someone else.

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

I am SOOO glad that you mentioned Debi's Carmen - I always enjoyed Debi's skating and her programs - most of which she choreographed herself.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

S

sk8ing lady2001

All of these were great. Out of these, I choose Sasha. I also liked Michelle's Carmen. Irina's was great too, obviously. :D

I

icenut84

Everyonne who's mentioned others - there was so many I couldn't have them all! I picked Kat's because it's kinda the signiture Carmen, G&G because it's just AMAZING (I voted for it! One of the best pairs SPs ever, IMO), Sasha's and Evgeny's because they are more recent, and K&O's to cover the 4 disciplines and also for a different time than the other 4. There are of course so many others I couldn't poll for though...

L

LADSKATER

I have to go with Witt's Carmen at the 88 Olympics. Sorry Debbi Thomas' does not even come close. Katarina was Carmen. Debbi just skated to the music.

Ladskater

C

CoCoNuTsiopatHic

Are there any vids of Katarina's "Carmen" online? She is my favorite skater, and it's been my lifelong dream to obtain the videos of her skating this program. I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEE her and her skating can make me CRY sometimes. I must see all of her amateur routines before I die.

Craig

D

DORISPULASKI

Debi's Carmen as skated at Skate Canada, her Olympic year and L&T's OP Carmen. For men, Evgeny, no question.
G&G's Carmen was my least favorite of all their wonderful programs. Well skated, but sort of ludicrous in concept, yeah Katia as a matador. Right. dpp

L

linnylee

Until Boitano's show, I couldn't decide, but now there's no question. It's Laurent's. The definitive Carmen!

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">The footwork, the attitude, the hair, the Biellman.</span>

<span style="color:red;font-family:georgia;font-size:medium;">I love Evgeni's Carmen.</span>

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Laura :) </span>

L

Lexa III

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Are there any vids of Katarina's "Carmen" online?
---Craig[/quote]
There is a video that shows partial Carmen programs of both Katarina and Debi on the International Olympic Committee site. This site also contains a video of Katarina's 1984 program and other Olympic programs from various skaters. This link will take you to a page where you can search for Olympic athletes by name, sport or Olympic year.
<a href="http://www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/heroes/search_h_uk.asp" target="top">www.olympic.org/uk/athletes/heroes/search_h_uk.asp</a>

C

CoCoNuTsiopatHic

I have tried to view these vids many times. Everytime I do though, the audio is fine, but the video is just a bunch of blurry images that change every 3 or 4 seconds. It doesn't show any real movement from her. Is it my computer/connection or am I not the only one who gets horrid quality from these vids? Can anyone see them perfectly?

Craig

B

BronzeisGolden02

Definitely Katarina

I'm not really that huge a fan of Katarina, but I will have to say that her "Carmen" from Calgary, artistry wise, was breathtaking. Katarina brought to the ice such dramatic emotion, she would have been an incredible theater performer. No other version of "Carmen" I have seen since then has come anywhere close to the intensity and impact of Katarina's. Especially that spread eagle and the closing position with her laying on the ice. Wow, so memorable for me!
I'll agree that Irina's was nice. I am an Irina fan, but can't really say that I think she has had a masterpiece long program. Last years was good, better than "Don Quixote" in my opinion, but I thought "Carmen" was a great musical choice for her. I haven't seen the program many times, but from what I can remember, I liked it quite a bit.

K

Kara Bear

Re: Definitely Katarina

I had to vote for Sasha but I have not seen Kat's or G&G's performances...before my time

L

LAVENDER

I voted for Kat but I wish that I could vote for 2 people. Kat’s Witt was great when it comes to long programs. So much attitude and when it comes to short programs I would say Michelle. Michelle’s short had such attitude and great moves. It was different than any other Carmen to me.

E

Excidra2001

Kitt, all the way. I haven't seen any other skater top her when it comes to portraying 'Carmen'.
I'm not just saying this because i'm a Irina fan, but I thought Irina came darn close to actually portraying 'Carmen'. Some skaters just show the attitude and spark but I thought Irina's costume/attitude and the overall feeling of the program was 'Carmen'. I still think that's her best LP to date.
Some how, I didn't warm up to Sasha's 'Carmen'.

My vote goes to Witt.