Plushenko's Return | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's Return

I think the article mentioned that the two programs are in working for the Olys. That may give him some time to get into competitive shapel

stevlin

On the Ice
Plushenko

I think Evgeny P should forget about the next Olympics. His sit spins are crummy and others are so much better now. He should be happy with one Olympic gold medal. I would like to see a different person win one every 4 years. It's selfish to go back and take that spot away from a competitor who works so hard for 4 years and ends up not going to the Olympics.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think Evgeny P should forget about the next Olympics. His sit spins are crummy and others are so much better now. He should be happy with one Olympic gold medal. I would like to see a different person win one every 4 years. It's selfish to go back and take that spot away from a competitor who works so hard for 4 years and ends up not going to the Olympics.

I couldn't disagree more. While i've never been a fan of Plushenko's skating and have no desire to see him skate again, the idea that people should win the OGM and then move on is ridiculous. If the person is competitive why should they move out of the way and allow someone else to win? Especially if that someone else cannot beat the current champ? If the competitior is working so hard for 4 years, they should work that much harder to beat the best person and not be satisifed that the best will simply retire after they win one gold medal.

Ant

jennylovskt

Medalist
the idea that people should win the OGM and then move on is ridiculous. If the person is competitive why should they move out of the way and allow someone else to win? Especially if that someone else cannot beat the current champ? If the competitior is working so hard for 4 years, they should work that much harder to beat the best person and not be satisifed that the best will simply retire after they win one gold medal.

Ant

Totally agree! There is nothing unfair or selfish. It's absolutely fair to have a competition and the best wins. The idea of Plushenko would win no matter what he could do is just some people's idea. There is no fact yet to support it. I, for one, don't think he could be as glory as he was two years ago if he comes back.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Totally agree! There is nothing unfair or selfish. It's absolutely fair to have a competition and the best wins. The idea of Plushenko would win no matter what he could do is just some people's idea. There is no fact yet to support it. I, for one, don't think he could be as glory as he was two years ago if he comes back.

I agree. I don't think the Russian federation would automatically give Plushenko the win if he didn't deserve it. They do have a talented young skater named Voronov.

Kasey

Medalist
I agree. I don't think the Russian federation would automatically give Plushenko the win if he didn't deserve it. They do have a talented young skater named Voronov.

They have several talented young skaters. But the point is, Russia has 2 slots for Worlds 2009 in men's, which is where they are going to try to earn 3 slots for Olympics. Provided Voronov finishes first or second in Russian nationals (and doesn't implode at Euros), who goes with him? Dobrin? Lutai? Uspenskiy? Griazev? Don't bet that if any of those skaters finished somehow above Plushenko at Russian nats (IF he even competes), that that skater will be the one to go to Worlds. The Russian fed may not automatically give Plush the win, but I think they would automatically give him the Worlds slot.

How did Russia earn 13 points in Gotenborg for an extra skater in 2008? I can understand Voronov but who else would add up to 13?

antmanb

Record Breaker
No, that was a Triple Lutz. I promise.

It was quite difficult to spot but it really wasn't a triple - watch the back of his head when he picks in - spot how many times you see the back of his head until he lands - once in the air and once on the landing - it's a double.

Ant

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
jpshakehead.png

You should watch someone's feet to see rotation.

But, you do see his head rotate 3 times. All that hair and the dark lighting just confuses it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
In his last show in germany he did 3toe-3loup combo and 3-2, lots of triples toes and lutz though he doubled some, but it is a show, in his trainings he jumped quads in summer from reports, his axel is as steady as it used to be, anyway he seemed very very improved from last spring, he seemed happy to be back and tango is just adjusted for the show, if he seriously comes back and someone is better by the time competition starts i m sure he wont get a title in euros and worlds just because it is him, when did he have it given like this?
I would like to see as new Olympic Champion who ever is the best that night, i just wish someone was consistent and dominating for the last 4 years to deserve it, as plushenko or yagoudin deserved it.
Everybody trains, so is plushenko maybe, I dont get why it is unfair for the rest who train while he had a pause. They train to win, so is he, and he needs double effort now. I would not mind even if petrenko was back in comps and proved he was still the best...LOL..

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Like other posters, I'll believe it when I see it. He seemed out of shape at Eurovision :)

As for being a deserving winner or not, I agree that whoever skates the best competition should win, regardless of what they did between Torino and Vancouver. Hopefully the judging will be fair and the standard of competition will be high. The one thing I'd rather not see is another Torino-like men's event.

antmanb

Record Breaker
jpshakehead.png

You should watch someone's feet to see rotation.

But, you do see his head rotate 3 times. All that hair and the dark lighting just confuses it.

I'll take Robin Cousin's advice for watching the head for counting rotations of jumps all the same, and i remain unchanged in my view that it was double in that show.

Ant

seniorita

Record Breaker
eurovision was months ago..he was training all summer.
I dont want a Torino like event for many reasons also, but it is not plushenko's fault that everybody else didnt skate the best of them that night. I know his marks were too high to catch him but still not a nice view to watch silver medalist without axel...and lambiel is my favorite.
Anyway i just wrote what i saw..and I counted. He doubled some but he did triples for sure. Many.

I attended the show in Chemnitz and I saw Plushenko doing:
2 axel
3 toe loop (I'm not sure if one of them could have been a flip.)
3 salchow
3 loop
3 lutz
3-3 combination (I thought it was 3toe-3toe, but I'm not sure if the 2nd jump could also have been a 3 loop as seniorita said.)

His jumps were gorgeous!! I've seen lots of videos of Plushenkos jumps of the last 2 years. They've seldom been so confident as they had been in Chemnitz. He did a lot of spins and his footwork was better than some of the footwork he did in the past. His shape has definitely improved!
I just noticed that Sergei Dobrins spins (who also performed in Chemnitz) had more change of edges etc. - so they looked more difficult than Plushenkos. I'm not so sure about Dobrins footwork. I think it was more COP-friendly than Plushenkos.

P.S.
He did a 3axel in the past. See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijXI8yHKCM

It was also reported that he did a 2footed quad at the Russian Test Skate several weeks ago.

I think if he trained hard enough he would have a good shot at Euros and Worlds, because he has always been a superb jumper and he has been very consistent in the past (rarely doing mistakes). I don't think Plushenkos problem is to get his jumps back, but rather a COP-friendly program.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
As for being a deserving winner or not, I agree that whoever skates the best competition should win, regardless of what they did between Torino and Vancouver. Hopefully the judging will be fair and the standard of competition will be high. The one thing I'd rather not see is another Torino-like men's event.

I agree. The men's competition had little excitement, cos Plushenko was so far above the rest of the field and all the other top men underperformed. By the time the SP was over, it was clear who the Gold Medallist would be. I think the men's competition for Vancouver will be really exciting though!