Masters de Patinage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Masters de Patinage

Very surprised about the results because Joubert has shown a lot of confidence this season.

What happened to Carron and Jost. I would have expected at least some acknowledgement of improvement.

rosee

On the Ice
What happened to Carron and Jost. I would have expected at least some acknowledgement of improvement

They are skating to Butterflies and Hurricanes by Muse for the free dance.
According to some reports, the FD was good but not great. They messed the twizzles and there were interessting lifts. Pernelle really seemed to have a lot of fun :)
In their opinion, they had the best OD.

Final Flight
weak spin but at least i see an effort in complicating their spins. kudos.
first straight line lift (?) is like a d/s spread eagle style hybrid d/l lift
i love how deep olivier is on he knees in all of his moves
beautiful circular step - FAST and smooth
their combo rotational lift, again, is so D/L, but i love the last part where he lift isa low near the ice.
BEAUTIFUL TWIZZLES! in my opinion they make twizzles extremly effortless and light. D/W's are fast and exciting but del/sch's are beautiful. perfect hand movement and body line. (in OD they had a bent axis combo)
HIGHLIGHT OF THE PROGRAM: THE curve lift. amazing balance - kinda reminds me of the kerrs' "signature move"
combo curve to rotational - my favorite rotational from last year's program :)
amazing straight line step - fast and moving.
towards the end - the weird swinging lifting action - meh.....would this count as a stationary lift?
but very effective closing position

overall - a potentially beautiful program - i see an improvement in emotion and presentation. they do need a spin coach. but the fact that D/L choreogrpahed this program is so evident. i hate it when the "coach's" styles are infused into the program (like joubert with yagudin)
D/S is one of the most innovative teams- why?
but they still manage to tweak it.
im not a fan of the "swing dance-y" type lifts i find it tacky.
maybe the fact that isabelle is wearing a white dress - like marie-france did...:disagree:

but yeah - excited. im happy there is no cliché story in this program - just straight forward expression through dance

bonne chances pour cette saison!

IMG_4994.JPG

Medusa

Record Breaker
Why did Amodio start in the junior category? As far as I remember he was already starting in the senior category at French Nationals last season.

Amodio's short (looks like he recycled his free from last season here)

Amodio's long

I love his footwork. It's just fantastic. I don't really care for the music in the short or the long - but I don't even have to care, the footwork is so musical, so fluent. His SkatingSkills are amazing. The jumps look sometimes hasty, especially if he is trying them in combo. Hopefully that will go away.

Is the guy training a Quad? Does anybody know?

^^^^

I agree. I remember him from last season, and I was so happy to see yet another skater who skates to the music. His jumps are a bit wonky but he lands them. A good coach can get him into the elite.

Nmsis

On the Ice
Why did Amodio start in the junior category? As far as I remember he was already starting in the senior category at French Nationals last season.
The french system is an "elite system" (at least in FS, not in ice dance).
It doesn't work at all like in the US or Canada.
French Nationals is not the equivalent of US Nats or Canada Nats or ...
French Elite Nats are not Sr Nats.

In France, the basic categories are age categories (you can go in the upper category if you have a special goal or if, like Joubert, you want to be the boss at 17 yo but you can do without that).
There is a serie of competitions (les Tournois de France) and everyone competes in its age category (one can still go in the upper category but that's a personal choice).
Those who have the best scores there and in international competitions qualify for Elite Nationals (min. age 12 yo), wether they are minimes, novices, juniors or seniors.

Elite Nats is a transverse competition.
It helps to concentrate the talents in a little field of skaters.
This way, the best youngsters compete very early against the grown-ups.
(Florent has entered Elite Nationals for the first time in 2005 when he was 15)
Later in the year, those skaters still have their age category championship : sr, jr, novices, minimes.
So there is actually a French senior nats later in the year but it doesn't really mean anything since the skaters in the Euro/World team don't enter it (it was usually at the same time than Euros). It simply gives a championship to the 6 best other seniors.
And there are french jr nats, ,novice nats, minimes nats and avenir nats.

That actually leads to have dwarf "true" senior category (currently 6 guys and 4 girls) because the seniors who are not competitive enough are quickly pushed aside by the juniors at Elite Nats.
Let's say that after the Olympics, there are 10 "real" seniors.
Year after year, more of them get beaten by the younger ones at Elite Nats and this age category shrinks little by little until only those who do international competition stay. The others leave to do shows or go on with their studies.

The elite system is a system of "exclusion" (which can be harsh and mentally exhausting when you don't seem on the right track because it's harder to "come back" than in the normal system) to keep only the best among the best ones.

France has a ridiculously little field of skaters compared to countries like the US, Canada, Japan or Russia (something like 14 000 FS members among which 2000 competitors from every level, that's not even a third of the Quebec Federation) and the goal is still to produce at least 3 World level athletes in each category.
The method simply can't be the same than in the larger federations.

Is the guy training a Quad? Does anybody know?
Not seriously yet. It'll be for next year.
This year, the goal is to fix and stabilize his jumps.
He has spent a month on that with Urmanov, this summer.
All his jumps have been far more secured since the begining of the new season.