Leung Hopes for Podium Finish at Grand Prixs | Golden Skate

Leung Hopes for Podium Finish at Grand Prixs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vancouver's Mira Leung has a good chance of competing in a second Olympics when the Winter Games come to her hometown in 2010. She finished 12th at the 2006 Olympics in Torino, Italy. [More]

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Well I highly doubt she'll medal at Skate America. The field there is really deep.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seeing as Mira's facing Ando, Nakano, Kim, Meissner, Nagasu and Flatt at Skate America, I think a podium finish is out of the question. 7th place may be her best shot in Everett, Washington.

China's Ladies field isn't nearly as strong, but she still has to deal with Ando and Kim, as well as Sarah Meier, Ashley Wagner, Laura Lepisto, and Alena Leonova. A podium finish seems extremely unlikely, and 4th or 5th might be a stretch.

I guess we'll get a clue from her Skate America performance, and see if she's finally overcome her underrotation problems.

lmarie086

Medalist
I can't see her making the podium at SA; the field is way too deep. And even in China, I think the best she could do is 5th or 6th. Unless she's really made a lot of progress over the summer, I don't see her making an international podium.

Joanne McLeod has coached Leung since she was 13 except for a brief period in 2006. "I was so happy with my skating at the Olympics, then I came back and Joanne said she didn't want to work with me anymore," Leung said. "I was so surprised. I started working with another coach, but after two months I went back to Joanne and asked her to coach me and she took me back."

That upsets me. She could have progressed further if she hadn't gone back to McLeod.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
The alternative of not having Joanne as a coach was a lot worse in 2006 - 2007 season. In a sense, it is a good thing that she is sticking with Joanne.

Triple Lutz-Triple Loop combo is fine and dandy, but she tends to under-rotate both lutz and loop. Common sense should tell her you get better marks by cleanly executing triple lutz-double loop or toe than under-rotating both triple jumps in combo.

nadster

Final Flight
The alternative of not having Joanne as a coach was a lot worse in 2006 - 2007 season. In a sense, it is a good thing that she is sticking with Joanne.

Triple Lutz-Triple Loop combo is fine and dandy, but she tends to under-rotate both lutz and loop. Common sense should tell her you get better marks by cleanly executing triple lutz-double loop or toe than under-rotating both triple jumps in combo.

Let me strengthen your statements as they are true but not stated strong enough IMO.

Her temporary "coach" was just a figurehead so that Mira could tell Skate Canada she had a coach. She never had any conversation with this "coach".Mom was the real coach but did not have the credentials to come with Mira to the official practices and the kiss and cry. While having Mcleod is certainly better than using mommy, I would love to see Mira leave 8 rinks ( and not take mom along with her) and have a new coach. There are serious deficiencies in Joanne's coaching even if the student does not carry the issues of Mira or Sandhu. Kevin Reynolds is the best example of this. Many of her students were top novices but stagnate after the novice level.

Mira does not even attempt the triple loop in her programs. The only exception was when she competed at junior worlds and that was only because the loop was the required jump out of steps in the short program that year. She did not even come close to rotating it that time.

So all this talk of a triple loop as the second jump of a combo is silly when she has never done a triple loop in isolation even once.

The biggest problem I have with Mira is her failure to admit her shortcomings in the first place. She has often complained that she did not deserve the deductions for cheated jumps and has said that her PCS marks have been too low.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least Sandhu was an immensely artistically talented skater, and he technically was capable of executing the 3A and the quad with the best of the top men. Sandhu's problem was he was a headcase and a diva, and Joanne McLeod catered to him instead of making him toe the line.

Kevin Reynolds has ability, but having McLeod for a coach has started him off with poor technique so it's a rare thing to see Kevin skate a program with clean jumps. Unlike Sandhu, Kevin appears to be devoid of artistic talent.

Mira HAS the basic talent, but her development has been warped by her mother's insistence on 'coaching' her. Mira has so many bad habits that it's hard to see the skater she could have been if she'd had proper coaching from her early years.

I agree that for all intents and purposes, McLeod is a figurehead coach despite Joanne's efforts to keep Mama Leung away from practices. People who frequent 8 Rinks have said Mira's been practicing there, but there've been no signs of McLeod with her this summer. Interesting.

flying camel

Medalist
She wasn't a bad jumper but I do remember the underrotations on some jumps. Has anyone seen her skate this season? Do her jumps look any better?

nadster

Final Flight
chuckm , good points. My point is that there are serious weaknesses with Mcleod as a coach even if the student is well disciplined and there is a lack of parental interference.
For that reason my examples of her bad coaching exclude Mira and Sandhu.

Kevin's biggest problem however is not his lack of musicality but is his lack of basic skating skills ( edging, speed , flow , general sureness of the skating ) etc. It is impossible to show musicality and skate to the music if the control of the basics is so weak as it is with Kevin. I have seen pre-novices with better basics than Kevin. Kevin is lucky he is an extremely quick rotator othersise the jumps would never get done. Even Mira has stronger basics.

Stalking axels is something that is very common among Mcleod students. Even Sandhu was more consistent with the quad than the axel. He also often stalked his axel as well.

Mcleod also insists on putting jumps in programs even if the skater has no chance of landing them cleanly. A skater like Rika Inoda has gone backwards because Mcleod is adding very cheated loops and flips in the program. Her PCS in her programs has dropped like a stone from last year as well. I could see a growth spurt at her age giving her problems with the jumps but she still should be able to develop the presentation in that time. I see her struggling at junior nationals just like last year.

Kathryn Kang, Patrick Wong, and Devon Neuls are examples of Mcleod coached skaters who did very well as novices but have stagnated as they go into higher ranks.

jp1andonly

Rinkside
FYI...last I heard she had no coach...again. She again had either left Joanne or was asked to leave. Perhaps they have kissed and made up

fiercemao

Match Penalty
sounds pretty delusional. She has never landed a solo 3loop, hasn't even tried for years, how can she land a 3lutz+3loop? Her 2A is often underrotated also, maybe those combination jumps are intended to disguise the underrotation problem?

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Seems odd - why would anyone brag about a triple/triple combo unless they were fairly certain they could do it - doesn't it just make you look kinda dumb?

Same re the podium finish.

I thought Mira Left JoAnne not the other way round?

If everyone here can see the stagnation with MacLeod's senior skaters, why can't they (the skaters themselves or others telling htem etc.). It's not like young skaters have all the time in the world to make the senior ranks and Kevin has been there for a couple of years already .

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I think it's unfair to blame JoAnne. Not every skater is so-called all-around and/or has the potential to be the very best in the world. I certainly don't see Mira Leung's talent of being the top 5 in the world. Kevin is a sensational jumper, but his other aspects are lacking, maybe he doesn't have what it takes to be one of the top skaters.

Sandhu was an all-around skater, but he didn't have the mental toughness. JoaAnne has developed lots of good skaters, but she hasn't hit the jackpot yet. How many coaches have anyway?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are lots of coaches who have "hit the jackpot". Look at the records of skaters who've placed on World podiums over the past 5 years and you'll see who they are.

The fact that so many of Joanne McLeod's students have jump problems is most likely the reason why she hasn't "hit the jackpot yet". They have all had one nemesis jump: the axel. Sandhu could hit the quad most of the time, but he struggled with the axel. Same with Reynolds. Jeremy Ten just can't seem to master the 3A, and Mira underrotates her 2A much of the time.

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
I was shocked recently to watch her consistently falling in practice on two or three of her jumps that she can normally land. She doesn't seem to have grown either. Perhaps it is because she is only getting guidance from her mom now. I think Joanne needs more credit than she is given. Mira would be a lot worse without Joanne's help. (Just look what happened that brief time when they split). Joanne has helped Mira in the area of getting rid of turtle necking before her jumps, rotating her jumps more fully , softening her movements and giving her a style, improving her outer appearance including makeup application. Joanne has done a lot considering she is dealing with someone who is very head strong and has issues following the coach's plan.

I get the sense that Mira thinks she's a lot better than she actually is. It's like when she said her goal was to be a World champion or later, top eight, or when she said at the last Olympics that hopefully, she'll get a medal. So, we'll see. Hopefully, she will get two podium finishes at both Grand Prix events. You never know.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Granted, Joanne's coaching, however flawed, is a huge improvement over Mama Leung's.

I think in this interview Mira is only repeating what her mother apparently keeps telling her. If her mother in fully in charge now, what else can Mira do but follow the 'party line'?

I just wonder what will happen when it's time to go to Skate America two weeks from now. Will Joanne be back on board as Mira's figurehead coach? If not, Skate Canada will have to step in once again and read the Leungs the riot act, because Mama does not have coaching credentials and cannot get them.

I also can't help feeling sorry for Mira. If things stay as they are, she will never reach the heights that her mother obviously expects from her, and that will leave Mira with a lot of emotional baggage to carry through the rest of her life.

passion

On the Ice
It would be really neat to see Mira spread her own wings. Maybe she will choose to attend university (though even that is a sheltered environment) or get a job working with the public or live away from home. She has lived such a sheltered life: skating with mom in tow, play piano, computers, reading. Her life is so inward-based. In a group/social situation I reckon she wouldn't know what to do and would feel very uncomfortable. It would be really nice to see her expose herself to new situations because it would make her a more developed person. I am optimistic because she has reached an age where it's natural to want some space away from your parents.

As for teaching skating, I'm not quite sure what she would teach considering her technique is not something that kids should copy.