Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shablin RUS
Kimberley Navarro/Robert Shmalo USA

PAIRS
Olga Boguslavska-Andrei Brovenko LAT
Melica Brozovic - Vladimir Futas SVK
Colette Appel/ Lee Harris USA
Marcy Hinzmann/Aaron Parchem USA

Marjaana

Thanks for the post, Jaana. I wonder if the Finnish ladies will be able to sweep the podium. They will have strong competition from Sokolova and -- I hope -- from Nikodinov. I hope that Angela makes a strong showing. With all the buzz in the U.S. about the younger girls -- Cohen, McDonough, Kirk, Liang -- Angela has been pushed to the sidelines, in terms of publicity. I would like nothing better than to see her make a strong run this year.

For the men, I don't see any real competition for Klimkin, if he's on, but you never know. This is Johnny Weir's best chance to redeem himself and start the new season on the right foot, and Derrick Delmore is usually solid and dependable.

The field is short on pairs. I hope that Aaron Parchem does well with his new partner. I always liked Kalesevic and Parchem, but I think that they went as far together as their talent could take them, so I am curious to see what the new team will do.

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It will be interesting to see what Shubin does. Neither Delmore nor Weir have been able to capitalize on their junior world's wins.

Jaana - Thank you so much for this information. I wish some of the other nonAmerican posters would alert us to these so called lesser int'l competitions. I and I am sure other GS members are interested.

Just look at those competing: Smalim; Black; Klimkin; Bertsson; Derick and Johnny. Drei, Ketunnen, Poykio; McCorkel; Sokolova; Angela and Lindsey and Great Dance and Pairs.

Any chance of the results?

Will the Finnish ladies sweep? Sokolova? Angela? Ilia; Derreck? Johnny?

This is a great competition.

Joe

shine

Record Breaker
I seriously don't see how the Finnish ladies could sweep the podium if Sokolova keeps landing those 3/3's like she did at Euros and Worlds last season. The top 3 should be a mix of Sokolova, Poykio and Nikodinov if they can skate to their ability, but at this point, it's still a big if for Poykio and Nikodinov.

I have a good feeling about Nikodinov this year. I don't know why, but I have an intuition that while all the attention is focused on the "baby balerina" generation, Angela might feel free of pressure just enough to skate in the back door.

I also think that Kettunen will do well. I hope so.

Mathman

Lanie

On the Ice
All I have to say is--go kick some butt, Angela! I want Lena to do well, too; she's just too charming to dislike even though her basics need help.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Oh I SOOO want Angela to show them all some beautiful skating at Finlandia! I agree that with all the focus on the USA youngens this year, this is a fabulous opportunity for her to really make a splash with having a lot less pressure on herself. I think she is a glorious skater and would like to see her have a banner year this year and make that world team again. Go Angela!! :D

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jaana, Are you going, and if so, will you tell us all about it if we ask very, very nicely?

(Sounds like a great competition!!)

dpp

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, I am going and very happy to see all these skaters!

I will try taking photos for my website, so I cannot provide reports from that reason, LOL. Maybe some shortish programme impressions though. If some of the competition is shown on TV again, I could write about that a bit also. It has normally been shown on the same weekend as the competion is.

Fortunately you will get to read great reports from Ritti (and maybe from some other skating fans as well). LOL, Ritti manages to concentrate on making notes and taking photos in the same time...

Marjaana

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
I hope Ilia does a good competition, it's so good that he decided to keep competing after all he is been through. Is Kudriatsev, Victoria's coach??

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Kudriatshev has been Volchova´s earlier coach. I cannot remember who is her present coach...

Marjaana

Nadine

Record Breaker
:love:GOOOOOOOO CAROLINA, ANGELA, & JENNA!!!!:love:

Peace & Love, Nadine

"harder faster ever after"

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Some very short impressions from the competition

Compulsory and original dance: Denkova & Staviyski were in a class of their own... About having Austrian Waltz for compulsory dance, I found the programmes mostly boring.
Some dancers are rather slow. Domnina &Shablin did not place so well in compulsory, but were very good in original dance. The Finnish pair surprised being on the final group for orginal dance. Unfortunately they dropped a bit.

Pairs / sp:

I liked Hinzmann & Parchem a lot and loved their beautiful music which they expressed wonderfully. Wakamatsu and Facteau were interesting. Some pairs did not succeed in interpreting the music.

Men sp:

Weir
Just one word: FANTASTIC!!!

Some skaters were expressive and lacking in their jumping, some jumped a bit better but were lacking in expression. I noticed that Smalun has watched some Ilia Kulik´s pro tapes... He is a very artistic skater, but would need a more consistent jumping.

Marjaana

P.S. A bit fluff: we happened to see Maxim buying a Coca-Cola and a slize of pizza and noticed that off-ice he wears glasses.

Thank Marjaana - I am so happy to see that Johnny is getting it back together. I hope he holds up at US Nat.

I do wish Ilia Klimkin skated - win or lose - he is so unique for the male skater. Hope he does well at Russian Nats.

Nice to see the US is beginning to show up in Pairs.

No surprise with Denkova and Stavirsky. They are the dance team for gold this Worlds.

Of course, hoping for a good show by Angela. Keep us posted and thanks again.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m sorry that I was not able to tell more about the first day. LOL, the truth is that I wrote more but did not manage to read my own handwriting (it was very difficult to make notes there) which even under the best circumstances is rather unreadable.

Marjaana