Who goes to Four Continents? | Golden Skate

Who goes to Four Continents?

Here is the list of ISU member countries who are classified as “non-European” and so eligible for Four Continents. How many of these countries typically send representatives? Do any of the smaller federations (Mongolia?) have contenders?

Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
Chinese Taipei
DPR Korea
Hong Kong
India
Japan
Kazakhstan
Mexico
Mongolia
New Zealand
Philippines
Puerto Rico
Singapore
Republic of Korea
Singapore
South Africa
Thailand
U.S.A.
Uzbekistan

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Australia typically sends 3 men, 3 ladies, and as there were only 2 dance couples at Nationals, both teams. We haven't had a senior pair skate since 2006.

As our national championships are held in August, we also use this competition as official qualification for Worlds.

New Zealand will probably send 2 or 3 men, and 1 or 2 ladies.

Their senior ladies champ, Allie Rout, is under age and will compete at the junior world titles instead.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Besides the 4 Gran Prix Host Countries only AUS,MEX,KOR, NZL and RSA use to send more than 1 skater in both men and ladies and the sporadic Pair/Dance team, but they are waaay behind in terms of competiveness and potential except of course for KOR when it comes to the ladies. Then we have UZB and KAZ that will surely send Gimazetdinova and Rakimgaliev respectively. As for the rest of federations, their teams are usually made of american skaters who make the "skating for another country" choice since they dont have a chance in hell to make it representing USA:

victoria90

On the Ice
This is hard to say as I'm Argentinian, but Argentina never sends representatives, not even one. We only have one skater in the ISU but as far as I know she isn't able to jump any triple... besides all the skaters we have here don't have any kind of economical support. I'm so frustrated with the Argentinian federation :scowl:

liketotally

On the Ice
If I'm not wrong, Singapore doesn't usually send skaters to 4CC... our best skaters are still doing double jumps. Actually, for that matter, we don't have any senior skaters at all... in any discipline. No kidding.

But then again, since Singapore is a nice tropical country with no winter whatsoever (and hence no winter sports) and only one, not-even-Olympic-sized rink... well, I guess it's to be expected.

Last edited:
This is hard to say as I'm Argentinian, but Argentina never sends representatives, not even one. We only have one skater in the ISU but as far as I know she isn't able to jump any triple... besides all the skaters we have here don't have any kind of economical support. I'm so frustrated with the Argentinian federation :scowl:
With such a wonderful Ballet Company, and dancers known world wide, it is difficult to believe there is no ice skating interest.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^ with a lot of ice up here in Alaska you'd think there'd be more interest, but there isn't... heck hockey isn't even all that big up here. stereotypes don't always work.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info Mathman. How many competitors in each discipline can each country send? Would it be 3 regardless of previous performance?

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Thanks for the info Mathman. How many competitors in each discipline can each country send? Would it be 3 regardless of previous performance?

Yes, that's correct.

Unlike Europeans and Worlds, irrespective of the previous year's results, each country may send three skaters / teams in each discipline.

I think it's because the Nats winners want to save themselves for Worlds. There is too much travel involved in 4CC for half the skaters.

herios

Medalist
I think it's because the Nats winners want to save themselves for Worlds. There is too much travel involved in 4CC for half the skaters.
Not really. For the second and third ranked skaters in these countries like: Mexic, Australia, South Africa, etc. 4CC is the only international event they get assigned to anyway, they don't qualify more than 1 skater for worlds. So this is basically the only trip they get, wouldn't make sense to send them to the event so they get more exposure? Unless the $$ is the issue.