The Rush to Get 3 singles or couples into Worlds | Golden Skate

The Rush to Get 3 singles or couples into Worlds

Sorry for the title although there is a connection.

The US as always wants 3 and in every discipline for Olys..

The Russians are coming on strong for 3 Men to qualify for Olys

Now the French are working on 3 Men for the Olys.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Japan, Canada,China?

Last edited:
This year (2009 Worlds) only one country, Japan, has three ladies. They will surely get three again for 2010 and Olympics.

U.S.A.? That's a toughie to predict. Our two entries would have to get something like 6th and 7th.

In men's, this year Canada, Japan and U.S.A. have three for 2009 Worlds. Canada won't have Buttle this year. The U.S. earned three spots without Lysacek. Weir and Lysacek should be able to score well enough to get three Oly spots. Oda returns for Japan, and along with Takahashi should keep three for Japan.

It's hard to say about Russia. Their guys show flashes of brilliance but are inconsistent.

In pairs, at 2009 Worlds Canada, China, Germany and Russia have three spots. I'm not sure if Germany has three teams to send. In dance, only France and U.S.A. have three. U.S.A. should be able to keep three with Belbin and Agosto and Davis and White. France, probably not. They got three only because of Delobel and Shoenfelder's first place. Russia should easily qualify for three in dance with Domnina and Shabalin returning along with Khokhlova and Novitsky.

Last edited:
Pechalat and Bourzat are an excellent dance team. How they play with the politics of skate dance is another story. But justiflyably France should come away with 3 teams. D/S and P/B could easily add up to 13.

Kypma

Final Flight
I'm hoping that Canada will earn 3 entires for ice dance once more for 2010 -- it would be a pity to have only 2 places with several teams on the rise. I think that if Crone and Poirier earn the ticket along with Virtue & Moir, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm not so sure about men, what with Buttle's retirement, but I think there is a chance if all men step it up this year. In pairs, I expect to see 3 places, with out 3 teams placing in the top 8 last year, and, in ladies, I'm confident Joannie can continue improving -- for ladies, it depends on the second, and, frankly, if it's Mira again, I doubt we can get 3 places. I'd like to see Cynthia go to worlds, but it depends on how much she's improved.

-Kypma

^^^^

One has to realize that it takes 13 points or less to get 3 skaters into the next Worlds (Olys). I believe the podium in LA will allow for 3 skaters (correct me please on that) Otherwise if two skaters representing the same country, including one from the podium, can reach 13 or less as follow:

First plus Twelfth - Is that correct?
Second plus Eleventh - Is that correct?
Third plus Tenth
Fourth plus Ninth
Fifth plus Eighth
Sixth plus Seventh

Some other variations will work as long as they total 13 or less.

Also to be noted: Top Ten finishers can get 2 skaters to qualify for the next Worlds (Olys) Thanks to Kimmie the US did get 2 skaters for this Worlds.

Buttle gave Canada 3 men for LA. Now since he will not defend his title, Canada will rely on Chan plus who else?

Kypma

Final Flight
^^^^

One has to realize that it takes 13 points or less to get 3 skaters into the next Worlds (Olys). I believe the podium in LA will allow for 3 skaters (correct me please on that) Otherwise if two skaters representing the same country, including one from the podium, can reach 13 or less as follow:

First plus Twelfth - Is that correct?
Second plus Eleventh - Is that correct?

Third plus Tenth
Fourth plus Ninth
Fifth plus Eighth
Sixth plus Seventh

Some other variations will work as long as they total 13 or less.

Also to be noted: Top Ten finishers can get 2 skaters to qualify for the next Worlds (Olys) Thanks to Kimmie the US did get 2 skaters for this Worlds.

Buttle gave Canada 3 men for LA. Now since he will not defend his title, Canada will rely on Chan plus who else?

The bolded parts are correct for countries with 3 skaters, not sure about 2. I know that countries where the single entry places in the top 2 (?) get 3 entries for the following year. Not sure about 2... therefore, Canada's 3 men entries can be attributed to Buttle winning the title or to the combined total of 10 between him and Chan.

-Kypma

C_T_T_

On the Ice
If there is only 1 entry that skater must place 1st or 2nd to get 3spots, or in the top 10 for 2spots.
If there are 2 skaters the points must add to less than 13 for 3 spots or less than 28.
If there are 3 skaters only the top 2 results count and the rule for two skaters apply.

If you place between 1-16 you get the same number of points as your place.
If you place between 16-24 you get 16 points.
If you place 24 or below I think you get 20 points.

Realistically , for ladies I expert Japan to keep 3 and USA to have a chance. For men Japan and USA will probably get 3. It's also possible France could get 3. In pairs, I'd expect Germay, Canada, Russia and China. In Dance, probably America, France and Russia.

If there is only 1 entry that skater must place 1st or 2nd to get 3spots, or in the top 10 for 2spots.
If there are 2 skaters the points must add to less than 13 for 3 spots or less than 28.
If there are 3 skaters only the top 2 results count and the rule for two skaters apply.

If you place between 1-16 you get the same number of points as your place.
If you place between 16-24 you get 16 points.
If you place 24 or below I think you get 20 points.

Realistically , for ladies I expert Japan to keep 3 and USA to have a chance. For men Japan and USA will probably get 3. It's also possible France could get 3. In pairs, I'd expect Germay, Canada, Russia and China. In Dance, probably America, France and Russia.
Million thanks CCT. Your explanation is so much easier to understand than those ISU directives.

rosee

On the Ice
France, probably not. They got three only because of Delobel and Shoenfelder's first place.

I don't think that's true. Pechalat and Bourzat's 7th place has a lot to do with it too. Had Delobel and Shoenfelder placed as low as 6th, France would have still get 3 spots.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pechalat and Bourzat are an excellent dance team. How they play with the politics of skate dance is another story. But justiflyably France should come away with 3 teams. D/S and P/B could easily add up to 13.

I so agree! :yes: I would never underestimate Pechalat/Bourzat. You also have to remember they qualified for the Grand Prix Final this past season along with finishing 7th at the most recent Worlds.

lcd

Match Penalty
I always thought the whole Worlds results point scheme was so... I don't know... one shot only. I think there should be some way of capturing results during the Grand Prix season (also ISU obviously) to make "adjustments"