Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why Kwan won't go pro...ever

Thumbs up AHEM,

Originally posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    I really doubt that because Michelle to me seems like the type who wants to break records, etc. so if Michelle won the gold in Nagano, I think she would try for another in SLC.

Rgirl said a Michelle quote that I think is fitting for this thread. When Michelle was interviewed backstage at Worlds or Nationals this past season right after she got her scores in the Kiss and Cry, she looked at the audience and asked the interviewer why anyone would want to leave this (she was talking about the very appreciative crowd ovation of her performance).

Also, I think that the demise of pro skating could also be contributed to the exploitation of figure skating after the ratings boom after 1994.
    I don't know & None of us here knows for sure if she would have turned pro afterwards. We can only go by what she has said. She loves to compete. By her past attitude toward the sport. I seriously doubt if she would have turned pro after 1998. After 1998 & 2002 when everyone ( anti Fans) wanted her to retire & turn pro. & after the 2002 games where she came in 3rd. Not being edged out like in 1998. Everyone said that she should hang up her competive skates. What did she do. Took her time & found the fun in skating for her again. & WON her 7th national Title & 5 World title. Some athletes have to be dragged aways from the sport. No matter how many titles they have. They live for their sport. To me she seems like one of them.

Of course, EricAbba and Dllk - We are so used to saying sweet things about little girls, we've lost contact with the sport I'm not against little girls. I think Juniors and Juvenile divisions is where they belong. I want to look at the strong mature skating Ladies like Irina, Elena, Angela, Amber, etc. Yet no one is saying they should go pro. Why is it just MK?

The very nonKran fans have created this aura around MK, moreso than the Kwaniacs. You figure.

Joe

On the Ice
    My guess is that all of the focus is on Kwan going pro because she's been a champion for so long. It makes her seem like she's older, even than others who have been competing as long as she has, because she's been in the spotlight for so long. To some, it's all about the champion stepping down to make room for the younger generations.

Mind you, I don't share this opinion. I'm a big fan of the "geriatric set", and as I said earlier in this thread, as long as the athlete has the body, mindset, and desire to compete, I think they should, no matter how old they are.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I'm caught between the two: I think MK can remain eligible as long as she likes, and I think she still has the ability to up the technical and do more. At the same time, like Peach, part of me would LOVE to see her go pro and team with someone like Brian B. and get the pro world going and back on fire with real, serious, Landover like competitions.

Most of all, I just want to see Michelle keep on skating. But its her life and her decision. She has nothing left to prove to anyone except perhaps herself.

Oh, Peachstatesk8er, Michelle isn't boring, she's like the dawn. Yes it's true, every morning the sun comes up. It came up yesterday, it will come up tomorrow. But it will come up gloriously, heralding the new day, shouting "God's in His heaven and all's right with the world!"

Anyway, bottom line -- it's not on Michelle to step down, it's on the other ladies to step up.

Mathman

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Mathman
    Oh, Michelle isn't boring, she's like the dawn. Yes it's true, every morning the sun comes up. It came up yesterday, it will come up tomorrow. But it will come up gloriously, heralding the new day, shouting "God's in His heaven and all's right with the world!"

Mathman
    Herr professor Math Mann, Michelle is like the dawn? Is that the best you can do, you mean you are not writing a poem about Michelle, or think of a piece of music for her or something.

The Messiah won't come and Michelle won't go ~ Joesitz

Yeah, that was pretty lame, wasn't it.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I am not a huge fan of ladies skating, so may I inject a rather impartial
    opinion here? Everyone has been writing Michelle off for so long, and she
    keeps winning. "She hasn't been improving?" Really? Does everyone else
    just flat out suck then? If she hasn't been improving, the competition must
    be going down the toilet because she keeps beating them. There is nothing
    wrong with playing it safe. Alexei won his gold medal by playing it safe, and
    there's nothing wrong with that. Evgeni won his 2001 World title by playing
    it safe. That doesn't mean the programs were easy, by any stretch of the
    imagination. Consistency wins medals....

Turnover every four years? Lose Evgeni, Alexei, Alexander Abt? To what?
    SOI? Disney on Ice? Please God, no.....

If you don't want to see the hype if Michelle goes to the 2006 Olympics, the
    solution is quite simple. Don't watch.

cheers,

Laura

Master Procrastinator
    Originally posted by Mathman
    Anyway, bottom line -- it's not on Michelle to step down, it's on the other ladies to step up.
    I love this! How true. I also can not believe that anyone could think Michelle isn't improving. If you define "improving" as doing multiple 3/3s, then I guess she hasn't improved. I guess there must not be more to skating than 3/3s. Her improvement just in the past year on spins, jump technique, and footwork were enough to convince me (as if I needed any convincing) that she still has the drive and the goods to keep going.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Why Kwan won't go pro...ever

Ever is a long time, but in figure skating it is a relatively short time - I think once Michelle grabs her golden ring at the Olympics, turning pro will be her next logical step. Unless she has discovered the "fountain of youth" she will have to consider it one of these days. All skaters do, unfortunately.

Custom Title

Re: Why Kwan won't go pro...ever

Originally posted by Ladskater
    Unless she has discovered the "fountain of youth" she will have to consider it one of these days. All skaters do, unfortunately.
    I don't think the original poster meant she would skate eligible forever. I think what the original poster meant was that once Michelle decides she done with eligible skating, she'll stop skating completely - never actually giving up her eligibility to "go pro".

I figure she'll decide when to retire, finish school, and then go on to do something completely different that's unrelated to skating. Although I'd love to see her become part of the commentating team if she could just clean up her diction and take some formal vocal classes.

Mathman - That poem....

No one wants to answer my question: Should the old babes like Irina, Elena, Amber, etc, go Pro and do the one competition every year?

Maybe I'll put that question in the Voting Booth.

Joe

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "No one wants to answer my question: Should the old babes like Irina, Elena, Amber, etc, go Pro and do the one competition every year?"

1. It's a chicken or egg thing. Personally, I seriously doubt that if Irina, Cupcake, Liashenko, MK, Amber, Angela, and Malinina joined Maria, Yuka and Oksana, that there would only be one pro comp available for them. It's supply and demand, who's going to stage a pro comp these days when there are so few pro skaters?

2. I think that people, at least here at GS, have been pretty vocal in a number of threads that anyone who can walk the walk, should be able to talk the talk: i.e. almost nobody wants term limits. As long as Irina and Cupcake can win Euro titles and world medals, making them retire is just too silly.

Buttle "Catch The Victory" ~ Torino 2006
    I'm not sure either if Michele Kwan would ever go Pro, however who cares if she is still skating? Of course she wants that Olympic Gold, and I'll stand by her & support her and cheer her on.

I mean geesh, look at Elvis Stojko who decided to retire, and look what he's doing now? He's back to competitive ranks. Age is just a number, as just because Michelle has been around a long time, doesn't mean she has to hang up her skates because she's getting older.

Thumbs up I coudn't have said it better myself

Originally posted by PrincessLeppard
    I am not a huge fan of ladies skating, so may I inject a rather impartial
    opinion here? Everyone has been writing Michelle off for so long, and she
    keeps winning. "She hasn't been improving?" Really? Does everyone else
    just flat out suck then? If she hasn't been improving, the competition must
    be going down the toilet because she keeps beating them. There is nothing
    wrong with playing it safe. Alexei won his gold medal by playing it safe, and
    there's nothing wrong with that. Evgeni won his 2001 World title by playing
    it safe. That doesn't mean the programs were easy, by any stretch of the
    imagination. Consistency wins medals....

Turnover every four years? Lose Evgeni, Alexei, Alexander Abt? To what?
    SOI? Disney on Ice? Please God, no.....

If you don't want to see the hype if Michelle goes to the 2006 Olympics, the
    solution is quite simple. Don't watch.

cheers,

Laura
    You have stated what I feel when people say certain things about skaters they don't like. How, can she be not be getting better ( In which she had a MAJOR REBIRTH in this past season). I do belive that some of the fans think that if someone can jump higher. that they should win. Also, forgetting the fact that the programs & what you do in them outside of jumping. Is also a MAJOR factor. She may no longer do her 3/3 jumps.& I belive that she was the smart one on that subject. I do remember reading somewhere. that back in either 2000 or 2001( I think) she was working on her 3salcow/2loop. & her lower back & hips starting hurting her. So she stopped. She put her Health 1st. & Even with out those jumps she still manages to show up every year & give it her best. & be competive. & As long as she can do that. Then, I will be more than happy to watch her skate.
    Last edited by Panther2000; 09-10-2003 at 01:25 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast