Lambiel announces retirement | Golden Skate

Lambiel announces retirement

antmanb

Record Breaker
That is extremely sad news but not altogether surprising giving his injuries and the speculation following his withdrawal from the GPs.

I wish Stephane all the best with his future and can't wait to see him in shows where he will no longer be constrained by the infernal COP. We will able to see him perform long lasting beautifully centered blinding fast spins, non level gaining footwork and jumps that actually fit with the music :love:.

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I wish Stephane all the best with his future and can't wait to see him in shows where he will no longer be constrained by the infernal COP. We will able to see him perform long lasting beautifully centered blinding fast spins, non level gaining footwork and jumps that actually fit with the music
That is something to look forward to. I wish something could be done about CoP in regard to spins and footwork, but that's for another thread.

Stephane's retirement leaves Brian Joubert as the only active male skater to have won a World Championship, assuming no Plushenko comeback. That seems strange, almost like a post-Olympic year. I wonder what'll happen in the men's field this season.

Here's an article in English, for those of us who can't read German or French (like me ;))

Last edited:

libby

Match Penalty
So sad.:cry:

Maybe, just maybe, after a season off his injury will heal and he will rediscover his passion and decide to come back for the Olympic year. At least that is what I am going to hope........

Sad but unsurprising.

Stephane Lambiel was for me, a total artist on skates. A term I do not use lightly. I can not see him being replaced by anyone currently in the sport.

Plagued with serious knee problems and then this groin problem, he managed to win 2 World Championships and a Silver Medal at the Olympics. Not anyone in today's competitions can claim anything like that including the Ladies.

Eevun

Final Flight

Maybe, just maybe, after a season off his injury will heal and he will rediscover his passion and decide to come back for the Olympic year. At least that is what I am going to hope........

You're not alone....

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I will be hoping right along with you.

sillylionlove

Medalist
While not my favorite skater it's always sad to hear about someone retiring that in my opinion is rather young for a skater to retire. I think that this leaves the door wide open this year with both him and Jeff gone.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Wow... Both Stephane and Jeff now... Sad, I only warmed up to Lambiel this past season...

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sad but not really surprising. Best of luck to Stephane. I hope to have lots of chances to see him at shows.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Wow... Both Stephane and Jeff now... Sad, I only warmed up to Lambiel this past season...
Sad, I completely agree. The two of them have been my favorites since I saw them live at DC Worlds (2003?). Both extremely well rounded, versatile, truly musical, and maybe most importantly "giving" of their hearts in performances.

Ugh.... I hope it won't be, but I fear ... the top men this year... except for ? Weir... Takahashi? will be .... jump.... head to other side while some action movie soundtrack plays.... jump.... head back to the other side while more action music plays.... jump.... (fall... audience groans).....slow, uncreative spin....i.e., ever see Joubert even attempt a camel spin? ;)

rosee

On the Ice
From: http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2008/20081016_131012_lambiel-confirme-sa-retraite_Dev.html

Brian Joubert on Stephane's retirement:

About a month after Jeffrey Buttle's retirement, who is the reigning world champion and the bronze medalist at the 2006 Torino Olympic Games, Lambiel's decision should benefit Brian Joubert. The french was above all very surprised by the choice of his two ex-opponents. "I don't get it. Honestly I don't understand, either for Buttle or for Lambiel" said the two time european champion (2004 and 2007). "Buttle had a great competiton at worlds, even if he did not try any major technical difficulties. He probably wanted to bow out at the top but the olympics are at his home. He could win another olympic medal."

The french skater has an idea about the reasons that pushed Lambiel to stop. "Since his second world title, he was not well anymore mentaly" said Joubert, who also pointed out a physical problem. "Unlike Stéphane Lambiel, I don't do a lot of galas. There were some seasons like 2005, where I did more galas, so earned more money, but in the end, I didn't get any title because I was drained both physically and mentaly"

shine

Record Breaker
Heartbroken. There won't be another Lambiel in a long long time. Actually there maybe never be another like him.

Eevun

Final Flight
From: http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2008/20081016_131012_lambiel-confirme-sa-retraite_Dev.html

The french skater has an idea about the reasons that pushed Lambiel to stop. "Since his second world title, he was not well anymore mentaly" said Joubert, who also pointed out a physical problem. "Unlike Stéphane Lambiel, I don't do a lot of galas. There were some seasons like 2005, where I did more galas, so earned more money, but in the end, I didn't get any title because I was drained both physically and mentaly"

Brian's got a good point...

"Unlike Stéphane Lambiel, I don't do a lot of galas. There were some seasons like 2005, where I did more galas, so earned more money, but in the end, I didn't get any title because I was drained both physically and mentaly"

Interesting thought ... While it sounds logical to me, I don't know if Joubert's consistency can be explained by it...
Interestingly, Joubert has 2 European and 1 World title so far whereas Lambiel has 2 World titles and and 1 olympic medal.

alekzu

Rinkside
*screams* There. I said I'd scream. Now I have. With all due respect, not even Plushenkos retirement made me this sad. Stéphane had so much more to give this sport. It is so sad to see him leave at such a young age. The last FS he made was one of the best programs I have ever seen. I loved every bit of it. I'm going to miss his artistry on the ice greatly. Bye bye Lambiel... :cry:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Interesting thought ... While it sounds logical to me, I don't know if Joubert's consistency can be explained by it...
Interestingly, Joubert has 2 European and 1 World title so far whereas Lambiel has 2 World titles and and 1 olympic medal.
I think it explains why Joubert has been improving, and Lambiel has not been improving. Say whatever you will about Joubert, but Joubert is committed to being a champion. He's willing to do the work that is necessary, make the changes and sacrificies that is necessary. I remember he mentioned after 2006 that he realized he needed to change everything about his skating, because things weren't working, and he did.

Choosing not to do tons of galas, even though it cost him money, because he wanted to remain healthy, is just one the sacrifices Joubert is willing to make in order to be a champion. And I respect Joubert immensely for that. It makes it hard for me to feel sorry for someone like Sasha Cohen, who certainly had more of an IT quality, but was never willing to make the necessary sacrifices and changes.

And well the fact is while Lambiel has more world titles than Joubert right now, that could change. I think at this point Joubert is definetly the front runner for Olympic Gold. He has been in my mind before the recent retirements. He's much better under pressure than the other guys. And all he has to do is continue to improve artistically. I'm not sure about Daisuke, to be quite honest. I like Dai's skating, but I am not impressed with his strength under pressure. As for Oda, I think he's the dark horse.

In contrast, I think that after 2006, it was pretty clear that Lambiel's drive wasn't there so much.. And that's okay. But I think for awhile now Lambiel has had his foot in both doors. And something had to give.

I can't necessarily blame Lambiel though. He was never a consistent jumper.... And other people were consistently getting better too. I don't know even if he committed 100% that Olympic Gold would be his. I think he'll need a consistent triple axel. So Lambiel's drive not being there makes in someways sense to me. I'm not going to fault him for it. But I think Joubert has a point about all the galas.

Last edited: