Any Car Mechanics Out There? Need Help | Golden Skate

Any Car Mechanics Out There? Need Help

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I own a 1993 Geo Metro (don't laugh it's good on gas and it's paid for). The other day I was driving home and noticed the "Check Engine" light was on and was staying on. I read on the net that this could just be a signal that comes on after a certain mileage to let the driver know it's time to take it in for a check up at the dealer. Is this true? I hope it is something as simple as this - I cannot afford a costly repair bill. I just got the brakes completly done! Help!!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Try putting in some break fluid and see if the light goes off. That's what I've been doing for years and it works. It could be something more serious, but you might want to give this a try.

Pookie

Final Flight
On my vintage '93 Aerostar :p , when the "check engine" light comes on, it means the oil needs to be checked and some added, usually about a quart.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My check engine light came on while driving on the interstate. Scared the hell out of me!!!!

Lad, it was as you stated, it was time to be checked, nothing more.

Dee

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
It could also mean serious trouble.
Timing belts are a problem with Metros-please get it checked so we don't have to worry about you!

windspirit

On the Ice
When the check engine light came on in our 1992 Ford Taurus (and it was in, I think, 1996, so the car was only 4 years old) it turned out that some gasket behind the engine blew up (even though it was "impossible"). The gasket was cheap, but they had to remove the whole engine to get to it, and it took them a few hours... The bill: about $800 (we consulted it with three different mechanics). Needless to say, now no one in my family would touch a Ford with a ten-foot pole. http://members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/getout.gif We prefer Toyotas and Hondas much more. :D

I don't remember what it was when the light came on in my friend's car (Land Rover), but I remember it cost about $300-$400 to repair it.

Sorry, Lad, I didn't want to scare you, but that's my experience with the 'check engine' light. I hope it's nothing serious in your car.

Edited to add: I called my friend (the one with Land Rover), and she said that the check engine light stopped on its own, and she paid those $300-400 for something else.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Any Car Mechanics Out There? Need Help

Thanks folks! I had the timing belt replaced not too long ago and brakes just serviced three weeks ago. I am going to take it back to the College, maybe they forgot to put something back on!?!!!!!!

I will keep you posted.