Emily Hughes on Today Show | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes on Today Show

I wonder whether Emily will decide to drop out of her Grand Prix event and concentrate on nationals instead.

If she did, that would open up a spot for a second event for Alissa Czisny, especially if Alissa wins Skate Canada, which I am pretty sure she will. :)

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Emily can't drop out of her Grand Prix; if she does, she has to then go to Sectionals. I think she would rather gain the competition experience at Trophee Bompard than Sectionals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The videos of Emily's performances at Regionals are on IceNetwork.

She landed one triple in the SP (the 3Z in combo); she underrotated the flip. She landed just one triple (a salchow) in the FS. It was rather alarming to see her stalk each jump almost the entire length of the rink, then underrotate it. The landings on the URs are wonky as well. Her one consistently good jump is the 2A.

Emily used to get L4 on most of her spins and on her spiral sequence, and at least L2 on her footwork, but now the only spin that got L4 was her ending combo spin. Her layback was L3 and her flying sit spin, L2. The footwork was only L1 and looked labored, as did her L3 spiral sequence.

She displays her usual energy through much of the FS, but the choreography is nothing special---and she does lots of crossovers while she builds up speed to stalk the jumps.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I wonder whether Emily will decide to drop out of her Grand Prix event and concentrate on nationals instead.

If she did, that would open up a spot for a second event for Alissa Czisny, especially if Alissa wins Skate Canada, which I am pretty sure she will. :)

Emily cannot drop out of her event, because I don't think she is skating well enough right now to make it out of sectionals. If she wants to go to Nationals this year, I think it would be better for her to do her GP event, even if she skates poorly, and still have a bye to Nats, than to go to sectionals and quite possibly not make the top 4 there.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
she can't possibly be THAT bad. :eek:

Wasn't she only third at her regionals? Or third in the FS, maybe? She's not at the top of her game, that's for sure. Her jumps, unfortunately, are badly underrotated, the kiss of death these days it seems. As much as I love Emily and would love to think that she'd have no problem at all getting through Sectionals, she's just not skating that well right now. Though, I don't know exactly who she would be competing against in her section, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She'd have to face Forte and Firth again, and Blake Rosenthal posted a higher score than Emily at South Atlantics. Brittney Rizo and Melissa Bulanhagui don't have byes, so that makes 5 ladies at Easterns that could beat Emily.

She's MUCH better off skating in the GP.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How old is Joelle Forte? I cannot find her biography on the web.
I think Joelle Forte is a great "unsung" skater story this season. Forte last qualified for U.S. Nationals back in 2000 at the Novice level (9th place).

From an article on the Senior Ladies Group A Free Skate event at Liberty this past July: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080719&content_id=49522&vkey=ice_news
Fourth place went to Joelle Forte (SC of New York), who had a solid free to selections from Puccini's "Madame Butterfly" opera. The 22-year-old Fordham University student opened with a triple Lutz-double toe combo, followed by a triple toe and triple Salchow. She earned 80.35 points.

"For so early in the season, it was absolutely great," Elaine Zayak, who coaches Forte with Dmitri Gromov, said. "She did the [triple] Lutz."

"I wanted to do a triple loop and a second triple toe, but I'm happy overall," Forte added.

Zayak, who won the world title in 1982, spoke about how she coaches Forte, who could be classified as an "older" competitor in a sea of teenagers.

"When I came back [to eligible competition] at age 28, I did it for myself," she said of her famous 1994 comeback. "When you coach adults, you give them the tools they need and they do it for themselves. Joelle is her own person."

waxel

Final Flight
chuckm, where on icenetwork are vids of Regionals? I can't find anything current- guess I'm clicking on the wrong links.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I think she did well in her new programs, at least exceeded my expectations. She looks much more fit, which is also a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, she was hit hard by UR calls. To layman's eyes, her jumps were visuably 'solid'.

goldenskates

Rinkside
Do you know if you could (or someone) post on youtube her long program? (and possibly her short program, as well)

I really want to see it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
goldenskates, are you outside the U.S. and can't watch the Icenetwork videos? Because it's really not a good idea to upload any Icenetwork videos to youtube due to copyright.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Well then, all you have to do to watch any of the Regionals videos (which are free) is to register an account with Icenetwork.

goldenskates

Rinkside
I happen NO idea the watching the videos were free! Thanks great. I'll try to do that and see if it works for me.

Thanks!