Emily Hughes on Today Show | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes on Today Show

iceminx

On the Ice
Emily cannot drop out of her event, because I don't think she is skating well enough right now to make it out of sectionals. If she wants to go to Nationals this year, I think it would be better for her to do her GP event, even if she skates poorly, and still have a bye to Nats, than to go to sectionals and quite possibly not make the top 4 there.

I'd rather she go to sectionals, which she likely would NOT make it out of (unless they held her up which would be unfair) and free up a spot for the amazing alissa czisny.:cool:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well...who's better, Emily or Alyssa? The latter crumbles in competition, the former might be having issues getting back to the level she was at before she got hurt.

Flip a coin. :cool:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I'd rather she go to sectionals, which she likely would NOT make it out of (unless they held her up which would be unfair) and free up a spot for the amazing alissa czisny.:cool:

So amazing that she spends half her time on her butt on the ice? Honestly, I like Alissa, she's very pretty to watch, but she is at least as inconsistent as Emily, if not moreso. Emily earned her one GP event as much as Alissa did, and she has every right to compete in it. If Alissa were so amazing, she would have earned herself two GP events from the start instead of needing other skaters to pull out in order for her to get them.

antmanb

Record Breaker

If Emily dropped out of TEB the space would not be given to Czisny - it woudle be down to the host nation who they picked - the spot is not ear marked for a skater of the same nationality as the one who dropped out since it was awarded on the basis of ranking/season's best scores.

Ant

If Emily dropped out of TEB the space would not be given to Czisny - it woudle be down to the host nation who they picked - the spot is not ear marked for a skater of the same nationality as the one who dropped out since it was awarded on the basis of ranking/season's best scores.

Ant
I would love to be a fly on the wall when these decisions are made. I bet there are a lot of "gentlemen's agreements" about who gets selected where.

I could easily see the USFSA ringing up Didier Gailhaguet and saying, "hey Didi, thanks for taking Emily Hughes for your Grand Prix event. We owe you one, wink, wink.

"Unfortunately Emily has to withdraw, but howsabout we send you the lovely, talented and ever-popular Alissa Czisny, fresh off her bronze medal perfromance at State Canada?"

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt very much that Emily would drop out of TEB unless she was seriously injured and could not skate at all, because TEB is Emily's ticket to Nationals.

But if she did drop out less than two weeks before TEB, the French Fed would most likely fill the spot with a European skater.