Men's No. 1 spot up for grabs in 2008-09 | Golden Skate

Men's No. 1 spot up for grabs in 2008-09

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081017&content_id=53526&vkey=ice_news

Jeffrey Buttle surprised the figure skating world by winning the world title last March in Gothenburg, Sweden. Then, he surprised everyone again last month by retiring from competitive skating.

Two-time world champion Stéphane Lambiel won the Grand Prix Final last year and was hoping to win another world championship this season. He had been bothered by a persistent groin injury, though, and he announced his retirement this week.

With those two champions out of the running, the race for the world's top spot heated up as figure skating's best bunched up atop icenetwork.com's World Figure Skater Rankings. The top four are all veterans, while there are plenty of young stars who hope to crack into that group in this and other years to come.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Right. Now the american men have a legitimate chance for a medal...unless somebody comes out of the woodwork which can happen.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Two things:
It would be Johnny's fifth Grand Prix victory, he was 1st at TEB and NHK in 2004 and 1st at COC and COR in 2007.

Japan's Takahiko Kozuka is sitting at No. 14. The 2006 world junior champion made his first senior world championship last year, and he cracked the top 10, placing eighth. He has not had the immediate success at the senior level that some other recent world junior champs have had, but his rise could come soon.

The past 10 junior world champs are Rippon, Carriere, Kozuka, Oda, Griazev, Shubin, Takahashi, Weir, Lindemann and Klimkin. Who of these had immediate success at the senior level? Of course, we can't say anything about Rippon yet, but the others? Perhaps the author is speaking about the ladies, but among the men there are often a few years between junior success and senior success. And Chan, who kind of had immediate success, wasn't junior world champ - and beaten by Kozuka at Worlds.

Oda may be the only one who really had immediate success, with winning NHK and 4CC in his first senior season and placing 4th at Worlds.

Is Davydov really that old? Looks good for that age. Perhaps they should give him an honorary medal at Euros sometime.

Tinymavy15 said:
Right. Now the american men have a legitimate chance for a medal...unless somebody comes out of the woodwork which can happen.
Right. Because that's all we care about, that the American men have a legitimate chance for a medal. Would serve you right if it's 1-2-3 Japan at the next Worlds on your home soil - Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka. And the ladies Asada, Kim, Ando/Nakano/Suzuki.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Must we link every single article to the forums. We've already all been talking about this exact stuff in other threads.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Two things:
The past 10 junior world champs are Rippon, Carriere, Kozuka, Oda, Griazev, Shubin, Takahashi, Weir, Lindemann and Klimkin. Who of these had immediate success at the senior level? Of course, we can't say anything about Rippon yet, but the others? Perhaps the author is speaking about the ladies, but among the men there are often a few years between junior success and senior success. And Chan, who kind of had immediate success, wasn't junior world champ - and beaten by Kozuka at Worlds.
Not to mention, senior success is hardly dependent on a great career as a junior (e.g. Lambiel, Joubert, Verner).

Right. Because that's all we care about, that the American men have a legitimate chance for a medal. Would serve you right if it's 1-2-3 Japan at the next Worlds on your home soil - Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka. And the ladies Asada, Kim, Ando/Nakano/Suzuki.
That's a bit harsh. It's natural that an American fan would want to see Americans do well. Personally I don't care much for any of the current American skaters (except Weir), but I think it would be nice for the audience at Worlds to see some American medals, even if the chances of an American at the top of the podium are rather slim. Also, what's wrong with having some Europeans on the podium?

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Must we link every single article to the forums. We've already all been talking about this exact stuff in other threads.

We link the articles so that people in the forum now when it is out and want keep up with the figure skating news, not to mention share it with everyone so that everybody knows. Now whether they want to discuss the article is purely up to them.

dutchherder

Final Flight
Why is everyone so crabby? I like looking at the articles, and I like all our young American male skaters. I feel as though I should be allowed to like both, right?

merrybari

Final Flight

I agree this is a bit harsh. "Serve us right???" Where does that come from? What's wrong with American fans hoping for and desiring US medals at a Worlds competition on our home soil?? I'm sure all fans everywhere feel the same when major comps are held in their home country.

And besides, our skaters - men and dance in particular - DO have, imo, a legitimate chance to earn medals - and I do mean EARN. They've worked just as hard as any skaters in the world.

Go Team USA!!! And good luck to ALL skaters everywhere. The best we as fans can hope for is that whoever is proclaimed "winner" has the skate of his/her/their life and really earns the award(s) presented!!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I'm getting tired of seeing Evan and Johnny both dismissed, sometimes in the same breath. I suspect at Worlds this year it'll ultimately be one of them who holds it together; we saw Johnny working at that in Goteburg this year and Evan's good at it too. Brian had better land at least two quads; he may need them. And serve us right? What about them? Why should they be punished on our account?
I'm starting to hope they go 1-2 at Worlds. Or 2-1. I'd prefer Johnny to actually win, but really, I'll take them in either order at this point.

merrybari

Final Flight
I'm getting tired of seeing Evan and Johnny both dismissed, sometimes in the same breath. I suspect at Worlds this year it'll ultimately be one of them who holds it together; we saw Johnny working at that in Goteburg this year and Evan's good at it too. Brian had better land at least two quads; he may need them. And serve us right? What about them? Why should they be punished on our account?
I'm starting to hope they go 1-2 at Worlds. Or 2-1. I'd prefer Johnny to actually win, but really, I'll take them in either order at this point.

You and me both!! Evan is one of the most consistent skaters on the planet today, and dismissing him is a BIG mistake, imo. We can be sure his competitors do not dismiss him.

Either he or Johnny - or both - could have the skate of their lives. (BTW: I'd like 1-2 as I'd actually prefer Evan in the top spot. :eek:)

Different strokes for different folks - that's what makes it competition and sport!

Let the season begin!!!

Evan has 2 bronze Worlds medals. Johnny has 1.

Johnny skated in both Worlds that Evan was a medalist.
Evan did not skate at Worlds that Johnny was a medalist.

What does this tell me? It tells me to watch carefully at the next Worlds.

merrybari

Final Flight

Well said!! :agree:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Maybe it was harsh. But it really bugged me. The title of this thread was
Men's No. 1 spot up for grabs in 2008-09
I thought that includes all the men. Not just the two with stars and stripes on them. This article also talked about lots of other men.

It relatively often happens that it's all about the Americans, including Canadians. Lot's of ice-dance threads get hijacked by a few people who think that the entire world is against the poor US-underdogs. There is this thread about the TV-broadcasts of the 2009 Worlds - and suddenly people start whining all over again about the fact that the US only have two spots for Worlds (Ladies).

But I guess this is a US-board and all of you are entitled to your patriotic opinions and ramblings. It would just really be nice to discuss all the skaters, their abilities, their pre-season so far...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
There is this thread about the TV-broadcasts of the 2009 Worlds - and suddenly people start whining all over again about the fact that the US only have two spots for Worlds (Ladies).

But I guess this is a US-board and all of you are entitled to your patriotic opinions and ramblings. It would just really be nice to discuss all the skaters, their abilities, their pre-season so far...
I'm not American, and it seems to me many posters here are not Americans, either. If anything I'm less familiar with the US skaters than the European ones.

I agree that on occasion the discussion does center a bit too much on the American skaters, particularly when it comes to the ladies. The new generation of US skaters may turn out to be very impressive, but so far their accomplishments as senior skaters don't interest me as much as they appear to interest other posters, and certainly there are worse things in life than to miss out on Worlds. But I can see how someone living in the US would be more interested in supporting their own skaters, and I think it's important for figure skating to be popular and successful in the US.

Lysacek and Weir are serious contenders. I think they would need some luck to become World/Olympic champions, but it's not out of the question, and they could certainly medal again in the big events.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Medusa, why don't you start threads about the skaters you prefer discussing? Then you can "ramble" on about your favorites.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Medusa, why don't you start threads about the skaters you prefer discussing? Then you can "ramble" on about your favorites.
This is a thread about all of the competitors. Or so I thought. That was what the title said. That was what the article was talking about.
Buttercup said:
Also, what's wrong with having some Europeans on the podium?
Very true. Plus, Joubert winning everything from now on would unsettle quite a few here, considering the Anti-Joubert feelings that are often expressed. But I would prefer diversity. Because in my opinion that's what makes the men so exciting. Their different styles, their different opinions, their different understandings of figure skating...

Buttercup said:
it's important for figure skating to be popular and successful in the US
And that's a shame.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We link the articles so that people in the forum now when it is out and want keep up with the figure skating news, not to mention share it with everyone so that everybody knows. Now whether they want to discuss the article is purely up to them.

This isn't news. shrug2.png

Just sort of annoying to see other threads pushed down so quickly because of the many, imo, pointless links to articles that are either already on the front page of the site or don't really serve any purpose.

Well Evan should have 0 and Johnny should have 1. Not to mention Johnny should have 4 National titles and Evan 1. But, who's counting. ;)

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well Evan should have 0 and Johnny should have 1. Not to mention Johnny should have 4 National titles and Evan 1. But, who's counting. ;)

Evan 0? How is that? Yes, he was very lucky in 2005, he didn't really have a good performance (but nobody had a good long program in 2005, including Lambiel and Buttle) - but so was Johnny this year. And in 2006 Evan was brilliant and clean! Oda wasn't better than Evan in 2006.

Can't argue with the National title though.