Zhang Hopes to Improve on Grand Prix Success | Golden Skate

Zhang Hopes to Improve on Grand Prix Success

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
American skating sensation Caroline Zhang will open her competitive season in November by competing at Skate Canada in Ottawa, Ontario, then follow up later in the month by competing at Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire in Paris, France. [More]

Taan

On the Ice
"I was working on my triple Lutz-triple loop this summer," Zhang continued, "and a few triple Axels for fun. My goal is to get levels 4s on all my spins and high levels on my footwork this year. I hope to be able to add new jumps to my programs."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:clap: wow! go caroline!!!!!!!! :clap:

merrybari

Final Flight
I'm really looking forward to seeing Caroline this year. Sounds like she's got some good things going for her. Will be fun to see her progress.

Splendid article. Thanks Paula and Barry Mittan. :agree: (Plus, great picture! :love:)

I think Caroline has a serious chance to win Skate Canada. Carolina Kostner and Joannie Rochette will be favored, but anything can happen. She could also make the podium at Eric Bompard (facing Mao Asada and Rochette again).

I like that she is working on her speed and on finishing each elements completely.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
I can't wait to see her new programs. She does sound very ready for the season. It's too bad there are only 2 spots for worlds. I really want her to make it, but there is so much competition.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Excellent article, and she appears to have a wonderful attitude about skating and competing. I hope she continues to enjoy both and skates well this season.

BTW, isn't knitting be a great hobby for a skater? You can knit while waiting for your turn to skate, I imagine it would be helpful in dealing with all the stress.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great article. Caroline sounds upbeat and confident. I am very pleased with her music choices, especially her SP music La Bayadere, love it.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
USFSA considers Caroline to be the star of the show right now. That's why they kept her out of the meat grinder that will be Skate America. They must think she has the best shot of making the final. We have too many American stars in SA who will only eliminate each other.

gourry

Final Flight
BTW, isn't knitting be a great hobby for a skater? You can knit while waiting for your turn to skate, I imagine it would be helpful in dealing with all the stress.

:laugh: It must be a very good hobby for audience too. While I watched figure skating video clips I found some ladies knitting at the rinkside.

I'm really looking forward to see Caroline's new programs. There were many good reviews yet no youtube release so I'm dying to see them!!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
gourry said:
It must be a very good hobby for audience too. While I watched figure skating video clips I found some ladies knitting at the rinkside.
Wow. I hope it wasn't at one of the pricier events to attend :cool:. Of course, if Stephen King can bring a book to a Boston Red sox playoff game, why shouldn't audiences bring knitting to the rink?

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
The jumps in the article are very different from what she performed at Golden West. At Golden West she reportedly performed 3F-3T, 3Z-2T, 2A, 3R, 3F, 3R-2T-2L, and 3S. Did she change her jump layout or something?

USFSA considers Caroline to be the star of the show right now. That's why they kept her out of the meat grinder that will be Skate America. They must think she has the best shot of making the final. We have too many American stars in SA who will only eliminate each other.
I don't know to what extent USFS tries to promote the fortunes of one skater over another.

But yeah, Kimmie, Mirai and Rachael are behind the eight ball, considering that Kim, Ando and Nakano could very well swep the podium at Skate America, while Caroline has an excellent chance of medaling at both of her events.

I can see the reasoning of the Skate America choice, though. Mirai is national champion, Rachael is the reigning U.S. silver medalist and Junior World champ, and Kimmie is defending Skate America champion. Maybe they threw that at NBC TV and tried to sneak Caroline into the GP Finals throgh the back door! :laugh: (I love grassy knoll threories. ;) )

Last edited:
I think the 3 Jr. Ladies - now in Seniors - have a chance to show which one of them is the best-of-three. I will be watching closely in Cleveland.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I was looking at the USFSA web page. There doesn't seem to be a Cup of Russia this year. :scratch:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
During the summer, Zhang did two 45-minute sessions and two 1-hour sessions Monday through Saturday and usually three, one-hour sessions on Sunday.

"I'm doing more core training and weight training to help my jumps and to build up my stamina," Zhang explained. "I never used to do off ice training, but now I'm working with a personal trainer a couple of times a week and I do 45 minutes every day by myself. I also have some other off-ice classes and run."

Okay. That is a LOT of training. I hope she doesn't wear herself out.

Nice to hear that she didn't have trouble with her jumps after growing. That is a good sign. I really can't see her getting even close to a 3 axel though. Her 2 axel is tiny and tentative-looking. But who knows, maybe practicing the 3 helped her with the 2.

lmarie086

Medalist
She sounds so bubbly in that article; her energy translates right through!
Glad to hear a growth spurt hasn't hurt her at all, and am especially happy to hear that she's working on power and speed. As long as she doesn't overdo it though.

Can't wait to see her at SC; I'd like to see her get the silver (I have a soft spot for Rochette and am rooting for her to get gold).

feraina

Record Breaker
Okay. That is a LOT of training. I hope she doesn't wear herself out.

Yeah, no kidding. Almost four hours a day at the rink every day but Sunday, and three hours on Sunday. 45-min workouts every day, plus personal trainer twice a week, plus running, plus other off-ice classes... I'm getting dizzy just thinking about what she's doing! Hopefully that's a summer schedule that she's not going to carry through the grand prix season along with schoolwork. So far she's been pretty lucky about not getting any serious injuries, I would hate to see her develop any now.

It's great news, OTOH, that she's working on her core strength, I think that's exactly what she needs and has been lacking -- it will cost her a bit of flexibility, but it will help a lot with her jumps and general speed and strength. Anyway, even if she lost 20% of her flexibility, she would still be the most flexible skater around. :biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
It's great news, OTOH, that she's working on her core strength, I think that's exactly what she needs and has been lacking -- it will cost her a bit of flexibility, but it will help a lot with her jumps and general speed and strength. Anyway, even if she lost 20% of her flexibility, she would still be the most flexible skater around. :biggrin:

That pearl spin of hers is a guaranteed level 4. That's quite a bit to lose.

I was looking at the USFSA web page. There doesn't seem to be a Cup of Russia this year. :scratch:
Hmm. Quite so. :laugh: I guess Kimmie and Rachael are out of luck. Not only that, but they moved the Ondrej Nepela thing to the same dates (from September 14-16).