Should the "Older" Gals Go Pro? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should the "Older" Gals Go Pro?

Should the "Older" Gals Turn Pro?

• Only MK should because ...... (explain)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • All of them should because .... (explain)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Some of them should because .... (explain)

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • None of them should because .... (explain)

Votes: 47 69.1%

• Total voters

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I didn't make a choice...

...Not sure that any of them fit. I just believe it's each skater's personal decision about when they retire from ameteur competition. We might all have our opinions, but they are the ones who have to get out there and just do it.

DG

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
NO

none of them should...as long as they love it, and their bodies can handle it... let the younger girls work up to their standard. it'll help keep it ladies' figure skating, and not pre-teen. (Scary to think that both Sarah and Tara could've won Jr. Worlds the year they won the Olympics!) Michelle could've gone to Jr Worlds in 1998...

Its quite Ironic that we now consider Michelle an older gal...when she was the face of the youth movement in 1995...i remember Bob Varsha, the commentator for ESPN saying, "The new generation of skating will be exciting to watch. Oksana, Michelle..."

Michelle and Irina aren't even as old as Nancy was in her second Olympics.

And, besides, in the financial sense, they are professionals.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
I think only some of them should, and only because it may be a less restrictive environment for those who have struggled with technical difficulty or consistency. But with all that 'eligible" can do, as far as earning money, and all the restrictions of the "pro" world, I think most skaters should probably hold on to the eligible status for as long as they can.

Kasey

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This sounds like "going pro" is being put out to pasture. I love the pro events, but it should be a personal choice, not based on age, wins, lack of wins, (or some fans who can't stand to see a winner keep on winning........) ;) 42

Jhar55

Medalist
No, why turn Pro just to make room for the younger skaters.
I say keep skating as long as you enjoy it and can keep up the pace.

Debbie

Rinkside
It should be up to each individual skater whether or not they want to turn pro or not.

Tove

On the Ice
I love the fact that the woman (and the men) are keeping around longer, than just a few years ago. What kind of sport would we have if they were all 16-17 and left before they turned 20?

Not that it has anything to do with ladies, but Kulik went pro when he was only 21, and why?????? He was the most superb, he should've been around a whole while longer!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I agree that they should continue competing as eligibles so long as they are fulfilling their own individual goals.

jesslily

Final Flight
Going pro or not is a skater's personal decision. I have read one pro skater complained that "Years ago we competed, and once we won the titile, we turned pro. Now skaters stay in eligible still make good living." It sounds like she is jeolous that her eligible time was not as lucky as nowadays. It's really an individual decision. You could won a gold medal and slipped off the skating circle quickly.

merfsk8s

Rinkside
No, b/c...

Why should they go pro? If they can still put a good skate out there - as Michelle does time and time again (think Nat'l this year!) - then why should she be relegated to the pro world just because some people think there needs to be space opened up for the young ones! (My coach is one of those people).

As long as a skater is good enough to compete at the level they wish to compete at - no need to go pro.

Maybe some people get tired of seeing the same skaters over and over again, but frankly, Michelle could take my breath away with her skating in '96 and she can still do it today. Keep going, girl - as long as you want to!!!!