What my friends and I look for on/off ice skaters | Golden Skate

What my friends and I look for on/off ice skaters

fairly4

Medalist
this is more of how some skaters get more from the normal public.
My friends and I are discussing the cop. it seems the cop caught up with the friends and me.
why 1) we nitpicked (like wrong edge, fall, stumble, humping, no projection of music, travellilng in spins, low jumps, high jumps, ) all the skaters even under the 6.0 whether in competition or shows. we noticed every little flaw. we wondered why only certain skater got called for it and other ones didn't. While skating perfect or clean wasn't mandatory as long as we knew/felt (it came across) that the skater skated their best it didn't matter what medal they got or if they didn't. as far as shows came as long as we felt the skater skated like they wanted to be there. In other words projected themselves and not skate rigid (which most skaters do) We knew we got our money worth.
Is how we back certain skaters-like buying products.
Sportsmanship on and off the ice. Not what the skaters said, but what they did/ didn't say. how they acted when they won or lost. whether they reworded themseleves later.
mostly whether they was themselves . why -we may not like a certain skater but as long as that skater is themselve . we respected the person/skaters decision.

Like Kristi with DWTS-she complained about scores and she shouldn't have been judged harsher. Well I hated to burst your bubble but the previous years if the person had any type of dance experience . We judged that person harsher, why they had a headstart and it was easier for them to get into the swing of things.
Besides if Krist could handle the marks , she wouldn't have said anything in the first place. which to me she is a sore loser. that is how we don't buy any of her products she promotes .
how a skater behaves determines a lot whether or not they get anything from the normal public. we expect high standard from our athelete, because they are suppose represent the Best of us (on and off the field of play) they also shoudl be honest.

I have to disagree about Kristi Yamaguchi on Dancing with the Stars. You have to remember that this show is staged by the producers. They like for the competitors to pretend to be after each other. They even write dialogue for the competitors to say in their little interviews, like last night Cloris Leachman was suppsed to say that her character in the Salsa was a "skanky ho'," but she couldn't remember her line and her partner had to whisper it in her ear. :laugh:

The competitors are supposed to give thumbs down and wink at the camera when the judges give them low scores, etc.

About Kristi's ensorsements, I don't think I will stop eating Wendy's hamburgers. (I also have a Sasha Cohen Citizen's watch ;) ).

There has been a wide discussion about whether Kristi was shut out of a lot of endorsement opportunities because of anti-Asian prejudice. Kristi herself has persistently refused to go that route.

...and in conclusion, let me just say this: Kristi! Kristi! Kristi! :love: :love: :love:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kristi's a class act. I wish more were like her :yes:

as for her "complaining" about scores, I don't remember that. I remember her complaining about relearning how to hold herself and how to move about the dance floor.

the only thing about her DWTS interviews that annoyed me was that she said she never had to worry about performance and playing to the audience when skating... hmmmmmmm thought she did it a whole lot in SOI. Didn't she play a vamp one year? And what about her routine to "smooth"?

That being said, I think it's a bit unfair to call her out on something so trivial as a reality television show. I know they call it "reality" but it's far from it. And considering some of the other contestants and their "honesty" in the booth I think Kristi doesn't even register on the whiner's scale.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Agree with Mathman. A lot of scripted "reality" on DWTS.
and Kristi has always been a class act.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gotta agree with everyone but the OP -- Kristi's a class act. I caught most of her DWTS season, and I don't remember her ever complaining that she was judged incorrectly/too harshly/more harshly than the others.

fairly4

Medalist
Not all scripts are written, what Kristi said about low marks wasn't on DTWS, it was on a hollywood show (like people , hollywood reporter or such.

I stated we judged the former contestants based on their dance background of any type. Chorography, dance classes, music background etc. If they had some they were judged harsher by the public than the ones who didn't,
Kristi stated it wasn't right on that people should judge her harsher than the ones that didn't have any type of dance background. Kristi thought it was unfair, well that is how come the Fox women didn't win because she was judged harsher on her dance background than Helio. Kristi couldn't/wouldn't put up with it. (a whinner and sore winner,
No class act would ever say that. That is why my opinon of her changed. That is why my friends opinion of her changed. She is a prima dona-she doesn't get what she wants, she complains and whines when things don't go her way like they should.

Kristi is a sore winner in my book.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I think it is fair to say that Kristi was a ringer and did have alot of experience connecting to crowds, but when they did give her feedback on how to improve, she did it. I thought she was the model of "appropriate " behaviour and never heard her "whine" She is far to consummate a performer. If someone gives her a correction she does it. That is why she has been so successful in whatever she has done in life.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Question. Why start a thread which basically bashes Kristi's behavior while on DWTS. Is it really relevant since Kristi was on DWTS last year. Sorry but IMO I think this thread should be closed. What is the purpose of this thread?

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
I know I got a little off the thread.I was replying to answer to clarify myself a little more.\

I think the thread is as good as any other thread. I agree, there was no purpose in using Kristi as an example but the first paragraph, which no one commentated on does have some food or thought.

btw. Virtue and Mois thead regarding WD is switched to somewhere else on the forum while Lambiel's WD remains.